Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
money for military jerkoffs to hmmmmmm over pictures but zero bux to help people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Google Butt posted:

Can someone explain to me what might change if the room temp superconductor is real :)

Basically it would make almost everything that we do with machines cheaper and simpler. A room temperature superconductor could do stuff like make electric transmission go from an inefficient process with tons of electricity lost to a 100% efficient process. Eliminate all sorts of bulky cooling equipment from machinery.

It's one of the holy grails of engineering and physics. I doubt this South Korean team has cracked it, but if they did it'll be world-changing.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Man, I really, really doubt that the South Korean team cracked room temp superconductors but if they actually did then I'm going to have to eat a shitload of crow and admit that the libs were right and technology actually did save us.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

bbobseq posted:

I just want to be a solar punk techno-shaman that runs an emu sanctuary.

Got a cousin who's got something like that going. She lives off the grid in California and makes money by renting out herds of goats to the California DMV to help clear brush from areas around freeways that are too dangerous for humans to work in. She also sells tons of milk and cheese. Runs her little operation off of solar and a windmill to pump her groundwater.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

poisonpill posted:

okay so assuming this is real
1. what does it mean to have lead wires all over everything
2. would this really solve climate change?
3. what stocks should I invest in like today before the investing market goes nuts

1. It's not like we couldn't insulate the wires.

2. Not by itself, but everything we do in energy generation and transmission and everything that uses energy gets much, much more efficient.

3. Energy. You don't have to get fancy, just pick a mutual fund that specializes in energy stocks and invest. If everything is set to get 1/3 to 1/2 more efficient then you're talking about a huge jump.

Before you plow your life savings into this, please wait and be skeptical. Until the science is actually confirmed (and I'm talking like Tokyo U, MIT, and Cal Tech replicating results) then you should treat it as just a claim that some guy we don't know is making. People have claimed huge jumps in applied physics before only for it not to pan out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If you're going to look to invest in anything please just stick with a safer option like a mutual fund or an index fund. Just stick to some energy stocks because even if this turns out to be nothing at least you'll have an investment that's worth something.

I'm no investment genius, but I wouldn't plow any money into a risky investment just based on what we know now. And definitely don't invest money that you can't afford to lose.