Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Marx Headroom posted:

theyre gonna announce aliens are real and only top level diplomats will get to talk to them while the rest of us go back to work at applebees

we got the childhood's end timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
The Phenomenon documentary on Netflix is pretty good. The Zimbabwe encounter was loving creepy as hell

Edit: guess its not on Netflix anymore. Available elsewhere though

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Dr. Killjoy posted:

i was gonna check that one out for funsos but then came across that same filmmaker’s completely straight “Billy Meier is totally not a bullshit artist” doco that name drops a noted pedophile and bullshit artist as an authority not even five minutes into the movie

Had no idea who Billy Meier was, and looked up his wiki page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Meier

That first paragraph lmao. Been a while since I saw phenomenon, but I don't remember anything like that in there.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Quite a few abduction/encounter episodes have the aliens transmitting messages about ecological collapse. When did climate change really enter public consciousness?

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

https://deadline.com/2021/04/ufo-fragments-in-possession-lockheed-martin-says-harry-reid-1234748095/ posted:

Reid, age 81, told The New Yorker that he had never actually seen proof of the remnants, but was rebuffed in his efforts to get Pentagon approval to find them. Reid was the longtime Senator from Nevada, the home of military base Area 51, long rumored to house UFOs and possibly even live aliens.
“I was told for decades that Lockheed had some of these retrieved materials,” the Democrat told the media outlet.“And I tried to get, as I recall, a classified approval by the Pentagon to have me go look at the stuff. They would not approve that. I don’t know what all the numbers were, what kind of classification it was, but they would not give that to me.”

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
I guess if what Reid says there is true, it just further proves that the executive branch is the only branch with real power

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

The Saucer Hovers posted:

look into the history of nitinol and titanium mining if youre actually broke brained enough to be interested in this subject

I very much am. Thank you for the recommendation

Edit: I'm not seeing anything weird from googling. Where should I look?

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

PawParole posted:

Interesting compilation of things Tom Delonge has said.If you read this with an open mind this could explain the entire UAP.Could be nonsense as well.

Can't find the appropriate smilie nvm

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Watched it now and yeah the schoolchildren talking about environmental stuff seems to be a bit much for them to all concoct it as a hoax to mess with their teachers or something.

That and the missile base stuff is strange.

This article from 2014 interviews one of the children years later and has some additional details. This part is just sad to me:

https://mg.co.za/article/2014-09-04-remembering-zimbabwes-great-alien-invasion/

quote:

"You want to know the real message here? The real message is that this stuff can brand you for life. It undermined Mack’s credibility, became this huge unending thing for others, and it certainly hosed me up. I mean, try telling people that you live in permanent fear of these things returning one day. Try telling them that you can actually sense when they’re back in our atmosphere. They’ll think you’re a kook. All this lot do,” she said, casting mock-angry eyes down the bar at a fellow boozer, who raised his glass and said: “True, but we love you anyway, Sê.”

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
If you look up the wiki page for the Franklin coverup, it's completely dismissed as a hoax based on the fact that the witnesses either perjured themselves or refused to testify. However, there's a lot of evidence that there was a child trafficking ring operated out of omaha. This ties into the satanic panic. It's especially weird looking back at this in light of what we know about Epstein too.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2012/09/10/still-evil-after-all-these-years/

quote:

I should also say that I’ve looked at his evidence, listened to interviews, sorted through 200 receipts for planes chartered by Larry King with five-to-eight unnamed passengers, and I’ve read the book carefully. I can think of no innocent explanation for why King would be flying children, some of them spirited out of the Catholic orphanage Boys Town, around the United States, mostly to Washington. I’ve listened to Nick at great length on the phone about all of this as he was reporting. I have listened to him in the immediate aftermath of strange phone calls and death threats over the years.

This isn’t “conspiracy theory.” It’s one of the best investigative books I’ve ever read. If it’s true, then there are significant elements in America’s ruling class that are depraved beyond Caligula’s dreams. And I don’t see how it isn’t true.

Last pod on the left did a good series about this too

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Bideo James posted:

i grew up where "the legend of boggy creek" occurred, the land we had was also where the film was made. the swamps hid so many insane things. alligator gars. old highways. bounding hills flooded with the remains of thousands of years of life.

we once brought home a goat from my aunt and uncles farm. built a 15ft tall enclosure next to our barn. it was there for exactly 3 days until it vanished.

Black Phillip returned to the woods

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Evangelicals believe the UFOs are actually demons. This is because Satan is preparing to discredit the rapture by claiming it was aliens instead.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
It doesn't really get enough attention, but there are hundreds if not thousands of non-denominational churches across the country that have some insane end-times prophesy based on Daniel and Revelation. One of the wildest beliefs is that God is going to resurrect Alexander the Great as the antichrist, who will be the head of the EU. There are way more churches like this than you would think. Lots that believe it is god's will for Russia to completely obliterate the US at the midpoint of the tribulation too.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i grew up in one of these

the pastor literally used an overhead projector one morning to explain how many horses/soldier would have to die to flood the valley of hinnom up to a horses's belly

he then surmised that the scripture could mean that many people died battling the antichrist, maybe not just in that area, or maybe it included spilled oil/hydraulic fluid from Abrams tanks

good poo poo, real smart guy, he left the church to work as a missionary in france (????), was a bigwig for the SBC in tennessee i think, and is now back in oklahoma

I can't dm you, but was this church in [location removed]

Think Less has issued a correction as of 18:37 on May 21, 2021

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

No

plenty of crazies to go around

The pastor of the church I attended did the exact same thing on the overhead, as well as all sorts of crazy charts and terminology.

Membership has dropped about 3/4s since I left over a decade ago, most leaving when the pastor embraced flat earth and spent months coming up with biblical explanations

Think Less has issued a correction as of 18:47 on May 21, 2021

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Nichael posted:

This is the reason why I'm really conflicted. My gut feeling is that this is largely disinformation to gin up whatever the gently caress they want to do, but clearly they don't have to go through this rigmarole. This is a nightmare nation that will gladly fund anything the current strong daddy desires. Why bother to do this?

I also am willing to guess if this is literally aliens, very little will change because they've seemingly been doing this for a while, they don't seem to affect us, and people will move on.

Not to mention, it would take far less effort to weaponize space by calling them routine satellite launches. I can't imagine China going along with the fake alien story either unless they're in on it too :tinfoil:

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
And seriously, what weapon could we possibly have that would be a match for aliens? Like, if you've mastered interstellar travel you can blow up a loving planet no problem, and we wouldn't even see it coming

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Everything will be revealed July 8th or possibly 18th

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

quote:

9. Genghis Khan : Yesugen

This is fun

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

quote:

They have some trouble with vowels. For example 8 and 18 both sound like "aitee", something like that. I do kind of hear Gina as female, but that might just be because I associate the name Gina with female gender. They didn't give me any magazines at first, then they gave me all sorts of materials. It hink they do that to figure out what turns us on.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

scary ghost dog posted:

whats a good alien invasion book thats not as boring as the three body problem but just as “realistic”

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Bullfrog posted:

i wanna see a ufo irl so bad. kicking myself for not looking at the sky more. it kinda hurts during the day though because i got tons of floaters

i've never seen one, but I did go camping in new mexico last year. got high as gently caress looking at the stars, and listened to alien podcasts. A+, would recommend

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/oklahoma/enchanting-star-park-ok/

this place is pretty mindblowing on a clear night too. people come from all over the world to set up telescopes, and i think the okc astronomy club has events there still

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

TeenageArchipelago posted:

https://eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf

Harry Turtledove's The Road Not Taken

I actually sent the link to my brother after it got posted in CSpam a while back, so it was easy to find again

Though iirc it was apparently based on something Asimov wrote?

I really liked this. Thank you

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Maybe write to your senator? Apparently senators have the highest security clearance possible by virtue of serving in the senate, so Diane Feinstein and Josh Hawley can get an accurate answer to any question about crashed ships or secret massacres or MKULTRA or whatever. I don't know how they'd go about asking or if there has to be a reason for them to be informed, but you apparently don't need a related committee appointment.

Harry Reid claimed he wasn't able to get access to information about UFOs the Pentagon has. Maybe the house intelligence oversight committee?

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
I think instead of applying for a job, file a patent for some ridiculous theoretical weapon. They'll come to you

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Vomik posted:

yep as I mentioned above about hangar 18 - if you are on the base and drive by it it’s covered in guard towers with machine guns and the signs on the fence say if you jump over this fence you will be fired upon. something be a secret doesn’t mean it’s a fun sci fi romp

I have a family member that worked in some capacity guarding nukes. He said that you're basically hosed if you're by yourself in certain areas. You're not allowed to be alone

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Vomik posted:

if it actually were the government it would be because they want to control the populace by introducing unseeable enemies with advanced weaponry that could wipe us out at any time

Because they lack control now or something?

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Can't imagine China letting the US keep that secret either. There are just way better options for control than freaking out the public with aliens.

Think Less has issued a correction as of 22:06 on May 26, 2021

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
I had a bunch of sleep paralysis episodes from 2014-2016. The worst was thinking I was hearing my roommate being strangled in the room next to me, but being unable to move or say anything. It went quiet, then I saw a silhouette move into my room towards me. I'm full on trying to scream at this point and eventually do, waking myself up and the roommate.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

BeefThief posted:

I think 95% of abduction stories are probably just sleep paralysis experienced by somebody who doesn't know what it is and can't explain it. Just like 95% of UFO sightings are just the planet Venus.

Quite a few of the times I've experienced sleep paralysis involved floating out of my bed, unable to move. No matter what time I went to bed, it always seemed like the sun was setting outside when I had those dreams. It's weird as poo poo and I'm glad they stopped. I don't know what causes it, but I was extremely stressed out when they were happening

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

blatman posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that sleep paralysis is caused by most of your "time for sleep" systems engaging but not all of them - so partial paralysis to prevent sleepwalking, brain starts squeezing brain juice through your brain bits to purge the waste proteins you produced through the day - except you haven't actually lost consciousness so now you're stuck in bed unable to move except now you've got a ton of synapses randomly firing because your brain is rinsing out all the gunk while your still-conscious mind tries desperately to make sense out of the random information + growing anxiety because you can't get away from the lizards melting out of the walls or whatever

That makes sense. The silhouette I mentioned earlier was the only "entity" I ever "saw" during one of those dreams. There was a sensation other times of something being in the room or just outside it. Brains are weird. I'll quit derailing with my dreams.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Spergin Morlock posted:

sleep paralysis is just a situation where your muscles are deactivated as if you're dreaming, but you're semi-conscious. there's nothing otherworldy or UFOish about it, it just sucks when it happens especially if youve never experienced it before

It feels otherworldly though, and I could easily see sleep paralysis+too much TV causing someone to believe they were experiencing an abduction

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Inspector Hound posted:

I keep seeing references to these found materials or references to quotes about them but I haven't seen anything specific about them

I think part of the problem is a lack of information exchange, due to everyone wanting to be the first recognized as having proof. A coalition of the 3 big ufo research groups fell apart for this reason

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

OK baizuo posted:

Yeah forget missiles, I wanna see what happens when you blast one of these things with everything an Aegis radar has to throw at it

Not quite what you're asking for, but:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/iranian-fighter-jets-ufos_n_4136191

quote:

“In one case over Arak in November 2004, the crew... spotted a luminous object flying near the heavy water plant... When the beam of the jet’s radar ‘painted’ the object, both the RIO and pilot saw that the radar scope was disrupted, probably due to the high magnetic energy of the object increasing the power of the reflected radar waves. The pilot described the object as being spherical, with something like a green afterburner creating a considerable amount of turbulence behind it. The Tomcat crew achieved a lock-on when it was flying a linear and constant flight path. Once the pilot selected [a missile] to launch against it, the object increased its speed and then disappeared like a meteor.”

Any other instances of anyone admitting to shooting at one?

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
This week I believe the aliens come from the ocean and not space. I will reevaluate this position on Tuesday

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
I think lots of people were raised in churches and rejected it as they got older. One thing churches (not all) provide is a community and support structure, and modern society doesn't really have an equivalent. So it seems like people are turning to different forms of spirituality in an attempt to recapture that sense of community.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Butternubs posted:

There is no good evidence that UAPs are extra-terrestrial, I too want to gently caress ET but the leaps of faith people are taking towards any of these second hand stories and lovely radar footage being ALF is silly.

people have been seeing ghosts since medieval times, does that make them real too?

Every night I draw a pentagram around my dick and yet no ghost has sucked me off. Debunked!

A pentagram around your dick keeps the ghosts away. It's for your protection

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

WEH posted:

Bit of an image dump coming but god drat "high level nocturnal lights" delivered

Another fast mover from the 1890s, and green fireballs above nuclear and other secret facilities alarm the FBI in the late 1940s!

"we must conclude something unusual is going on"

Stuff like this hits different now as well

In closing I thought this fella might be good luck when I ran into him at home depot today while shopping for dirt and hell maybe he was

what is this from? googling "high level nocturnal lights" didnt turn up anything