Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Got a phone just for pictures of that unidentified rear end phenomena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

CODChimera posted:

why would they frame them as aliens rather than just chinese/russian superweapons if their goal was simply funding?

To get the general public interested

It would be cool if it's other countries frankly; that would mean someone on Earth can make these and we might get to have star trek

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

CODChimera posted:

the general public is probably more interested in china than aliens

Why, for real

The Saucer Hovers posted:

in the before times you could pay to go up a mountain near enough to groom lake to seem them projecting plasma bubbles into the atmosphere- they did the tests the same time every week folks sold tickets

What

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 02:34 on May 20, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E dp

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Zisky posted:

Peeps really be glossing over the technological implications if these are actual vehicles.

Which makes me think it's a weather phenomena or mirage of some kind

Although

https://twitter.com/NazologyInfo/status/1395217716517113857?s=19

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Bideo James posted:

in the summer of 1999 i saw a ball of lightning come into my home.

i was laying on my bed which was also formerly a porch, now enclosed. My bed faced long ways, to my left and right were doors into the house and onto the new porch, beyond that a chair facing a television on a wooden center and beyond that half a pingpong table and a desk chair used for our house computer, i could see out the far window

as i laid off trying to drift off on an extremely hot summer night, i was startled up standing on my bed suddenly as every hair on my body stood up and my heart began to race and in front of me, from the back side of the wooden entertainment center a bright blue and white light emitted from the back of the television and like a ghost a pulsing glowing blue orb began to form in front of it, it slowly traveled from one side of the room, vanishing into the wall. i rushed towards my door to open it into the kitchen and dining room but there was nothing there. i realized then the power was out in the entire house and the microwave beeping to life when suddenly powered again made me flee back to my bed.

i still lay awake at night wondering what that was, but i believe it was either a real ball lightning or swamp gas. i did live in a swamp.

Holy poo poo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Gringostar posted:

since work is saying we’re back in the office in july im taking the time to binge watch the x-files

the first season has some 90s cringe but it actually holds up well

It's kind of like Poltergeist, this perfect time capsule of what the general running beliefs and theories on the paranormal were at the time.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

WEH posted:

x-files rules but the overarching plot episodes will only hurt you in the end

In the 90s people also believed every TV show would last forever

e seriously nine seasons of Seinfeld? I'm glad it ended like that, gently caress them

vv didn't Germans in the US get rounded up during WWII vv

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 06:16 on May 21, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

You could probably whip up a good number of people with ghosts too

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just miss him so loving much

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Riot Bimbo posted:

It's aliens. We're an experiment; the experiment has been crashed by other aliens, and now there's gonna be a war over what to do about the idiot sentient apes that are now no longer useful in their original design.

We can play the guitar like a mother fuckin riot

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

PawParole posted:

Looks like they are trying to let out only parts of the information and not all of it.

What they can (and now have) let out (Disclosed):

UFOs are real

Their technology is far beyond ours

We don't know where they come from

We are powerless to stop them

What they may let out:

Aliens are here

There are different types of aliens

Some look like us; others look frightening to us

What they will never let out:

Abductions are real

Mutilations are real

Many of you have been abducted and have had your memory erased

Some aliens have a breeding program with humans

You have been anally impregnated without consent or their knowledge

So you're telling me I may have had sex, I'm not seeing this as a negative

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Riot Bimbo posted:

ya lets hope our culture generation or something else intangible is nice to them i guess.

I reckon it's like, I don't spend all day clapping my hands about aliens but probably ITT im gonna post as if it's aliens because that's the only way this is interesting in a way that's not singularly distressing, but i'm aware that worse and more boring things are far more likely!~

My...alt account??

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

"the government admits aliens are real but nobody notices because trump said something that day" was one of the best storylines of the trump presidency

I'm still 100% a phosphene truther, I'll never forget waking up from that nap to that poo poo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't know what this is. Please share

Phosphine is a substance that can only be made by living things, bacteria and etc, as far as we know, and they thought they found it in the atmosphere of Venus

This is the cold water

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

goddamn nerds :argh:

loving honestly

They thought they had verified it too, it was sad

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hatebag posted:

Venus has a lovely magnetosphere but probably has life just because such a hot planet would be producing subsurface life for millions of years. Probably not anything intelligent though, so not much different than earth

Right it's just germs if it's anything, but holy poo poo, alien germs. And what if it's related to tardigrades or some other extremophile that we recognize down here? Like, holy gently caress.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

SPECULATING MORONS: THE THREAD

edit: (now for the first time in a Something Awful Dot Com Thread!)

Ok so what's your Certified Real Answer

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hatebag posted:

Earliest life on earth was 3.7B years ago and the moon impact was 3.5B years ago, so if life went from earth to venus they woulda had to be some tough boys to survive. I'd assume venus would have been capable of having life formed on it independently

!!!! Indeed! This was what I was thinking of, like what on Earth (or not on Earth??) is the point, from a standpoint of evolution, of being able to survive something that insane? It's a heck of an accidental bonus if it's just a glitch of evolution.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hatebag posted:

Tardigrades only date from 145 mya though, and they eat other earth things. They are cool as hell, but they're basically progenitors of arthropod evolution. They gave rise to a bunch of different gross bugs and they survived all the previous mass extinctions

Well I didn't know all that so now I'm back on the ground

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

There have been several major impacts and who knows how many small ones in the last 145 million years, and the one that killed the dinosaurs apparently hit hard enough to blow parts of Earth off into space...

e this article frames it stupidly as "there's dinosaur bones on the moon," but the point is the same

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ok ok it's not tardigrades

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hatebag posted:

That's what they did with all those other secret aircraft though. They encouraged insane people to call them flying saucers by gaslighting them. I don't really get it but i guess nobody really knew about the sr71 until it was out of service or the stealth helicopters until they were used to assassinate bin laden and then mainly because they crashed one, so i guess it works

The helicopters are especially hilarious because silent black helicopters have been a staple of the most tooth grinding insane conspiracy theories for decades, there's even a joke about them in the Mel Gibson movie Conspiracy Theory, and I'm sure there's references to them in The X-Files

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

i'm just looking at wikipedia, but only one incident, not the one pictured, is the airship noted as having propellers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_airship#The_airship_wave_of_1896-1897

This is even cooler than aliens imo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Like at this point there's essentially no reason not to just believe in the men in black for real

e yes I'm high I don't see how that's relevant

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

P. spoopy!!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tighclops posted:

If they want more money I'm pretty sure they can just sell more drugs or something

There is this; don't "they" basically have unlimited money already

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ball lightning and reflections on clouds

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

my theory for how jeff goldblum's virus worked is that it didn't actually break or shut down any of the aliens' computers its just that the laughing skull was so spooky they all were scared to death

Did that ever get used in an apple commercial? How could it not have

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I think the spaceship would just do the thing where it's like vvvvvVVVVVRRRRBBBRBRBRBRBRRBBBPPPEEEWWWWWWW and gets to the next planet

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'll totally join an alien circus and poop for horrified audiences or whatever

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

whatever happened to mass suicides

Well now there really are UFOs so what's the point

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Alien autopsy video turns out to have been real the whole time

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Yeah asteroids would p much do it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Log082 posted:

You fucker, you got a literal wink wink nudge nudge.

I've been trying to figure who to talk to get a job with the people researching these things, as a like 3/4 idle speculation 1/4 serious thing. I have a scientific background extremely relevant to analyzing captured "alien metamaterials" or whatever the gently caress.

hire me you cowards. yes you mr. nsa agent assigned to CSPAM. tell your MIB friends.

If tv shows are real, you want a super high tech tech company that builds crazy poo poo, that police robot company or the people making invisible fabrics for the army or something, or department of energy I guess

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Alien ships would almost certainly be filled with some kind of horrifyingly poisonous liquid or gas

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

blatman posted:

they're us from the future so they breathe monster energy drinks

that's also why sightings are getting more common as time marches forward - it's not because everyone has a HD camera in their pocket and a pirated copy of photoshop, it's because we're at the point in history where we have the maximum number of caffeine flavors

Drinking white chocolate Starbucks double shot in the alpha quadrant rn

blatman posted:

im gonna make first contact via rickroll

sorry in advance for our inevitable extinction

First contact should be made via rock n roll

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

"shields" basically, you'd need it to deal with micro asteroids and dust and stuff while you're flying around in space anyway

e or hypergating the phlogistic interdimensional medium or whatever

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 01:31 on May 27, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Log082 posted:

OP has correctly identified one of the reasons these things are loving weird. congrats.

Honestly though they're loving weird

e would be wild if it's some kind of natural phenomena, I feel like we need someone to get killed by one to be sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

so do u guys think aliens are posting on the internet

I wonder if they can read everyone's posts and understand them, but they don't "get" internet humor

Or more terrifyingly if that's what they understand the majority of our communication to be so that's how they talk at first contact