Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I feel like a lot of people who discount aliens offhand aren't thinking enough about timescales. Yeah, the odds that aliens just happened to reach earth semi-recently — like, in the past 50 years or whatever — are absurdly, unimaginably slim. But what are the odds that some alien civilization, looking for planets that can sustain life, stumbled upon earth 10k years ago, or 100k years ago, or 10 million years ago? The further back you go, the higher the odds get... So just playing the odds, if aliens are flying around now, they've most likely been here for a very long time

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 17:14 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Riot Bimbo posted:

Can confirm, RE: phones can't record anything in the sky for poo poo.

As someone who takes lots of photos of birds I can double-confirm this. If you can't take good bird photos with a phone why would anyone be able to photograph a UFO with a phone?

Yesterday I saw a bunch of birds that I was having trouble identifying, but didn't have my bigass camera with zoom lens, so I tried taking a phone pic. Even though I was only like 8 feet away from this feeder the phone was completely worthless, can't see poo poo!!

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 03:03 on May 31, 2021

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

man none of these videos are remotely convincing. i admit i havent seen whatever ones kicked it off but i figured i'd rectify that and jut went off to look at the nimitz one and... really?

true, but as a test, try to take a video of a bird or plane with a cell phone or standard camera. 99% of the time you get nothing whatsoever. Cameras aren't good at capturing small things in a large area such as the sky — which is why birders invest in huge rear end zoom lenses (and even with these enormous lenses, half of the photos turn out blurry).

source: I'm one of the weirdos who goes birding with a huge rear end zoom lens. I take hundreds of pictures every time I go out and the vast majority turn out lovely

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 15:11 on Jun 10, 2021

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Wasn't there some trippy CIA document or something about methods for meditating along with pre-recorded tapes in order to break through reality or something? I remember that it had diagrams showing the human body surrounded by bent fields of reality and whatnot. trying to google it but not finding anything...

edit: found it! https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP96-00788R001700210016-5.pdf

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Jul 14, 2021

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

What do aliens smell like? has anyone talked about this? do they use deodorants / perfumes or are they fine rocking a "natural smell?"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Bearjew posted:

any tips for finding a belted kingfisher

I've been trying and failing to get a good belted kingfisher photo for years. With those guys it's really just patience and luck — you need them to come to you. Since they're always on bodies of water, they'll just fly to the other side of the lake / stream / whatever if you approach them. They're also notoriously grouchy and won't tolerate much human presence... if you walk towards one it'll just go someplace else.

Since they have a deafeningly loud cackle, the key is just to listen, find a spot by the water approximately where you think you heard the call, plop your rear end down, and listen for more calls, while watching all of the branches that hang over the water.

Also, UFOs are real

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

So like a really big telephoto lens?

I have a pretty good telephoto lens and my kingfisher photos still suck rear end! What you really need is tons of spare time. the bird people who take the best pictures are seemingly unemployed and spend all day every day sitting around waiting for birds

edit: but to legitimately bring it back to UAPs... even with a big telephoto lens and a monopod, it can be difficult to take a good picture of a bird that's in-focus, even if it's close to you. so i'm never surprised that so many uap photos and videos are blurry... it's really difficult unless you have a legit camera setup that's already focused on the sky. it's even hard to photograph something like a 747, which is huge and moves slowly in a straight predictable line

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Dec 6, 2021

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Rudeboy Detective posted:

what if the aliens are inside this thread

loling at the idea of an alien, after traveling the cosmos, eventually whipping out a VISA to register a something awful account

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

this one looks really convincing, but if you look at the camera movement you can tell it's a fake. you can also find the 3d model they used on turbosquid: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/mute-swan-3d-model-1534238

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

munce posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r5Ly1AUXFM&t=2856s

Lue saying ufos are seen literally every day. Seems like it should be easy enough for one of the ufo hunter groups to put some cameras on a boat/plane and go out to one of the navy practice areas and get some videos. why not done.

ufo guys take the "release a video that's less than 3 hours" challenge

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Azathoth posted:

Stories like this always seem to miss the point about AI, which is that the real mind-blowing/scary stuff is not something that can fake being human but rather something that has capabilities so far beyond what a human could do that it becomes incomprehensible to us.

agreed, while we're not at that point yet, we're approaching it pretty quickly. in <10 years we'll have ai that is capable of doing pretty insane/scary things, and we won't really know how it works beyond "it trained itself a lot using a lot of data"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Signs had a really good sense of dread during the first half and then kinda fell apart in the second half.

grrr i hate captions like this... it just makes more fodder for skeptics. what "strange maneuvers?" all i'm seeing is slow, lazy drifting in the wind >:–(

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

I'm still stuck on how can they both be physical things (as the DoD say) yet do that. It has to be a projection of some kind

weren't there some theories floating around about mass reduction? if a flying ship could somehow reduce its mass to near zero, it would be capable of ridiculous acceleration and maneuvering

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

the aliens are like "yooo everybody check this out, these 'humans' are about to totally wipe out their planet with climate change"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

pancake rabbit posted:

:siren: 20MB calvine photo, get 'yer 20MB calvine photo here!

https://twitter.com/disclosureteam_/status/1559613376199811074

this kicks rear end... if you play with the colors, it really does seem like clouds as opposed to a reflection.

but my question is why it's not symmetrical... what's that nub on the right side?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Azathoth posted:

If the object was moving from right to left, the same direction as the plane, there wouldn't be an expectation of symmetry on the vertical plane

yeah but perfectly smooth, symmetrical ufos are so much cooler. who wants a ufo with a big old engine port sticking out? nobody. go back to your own planet until you build a smoother ufo

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

pretty sure this one is alien or aliens. "light reflecting off droplets" yea sure that makes sense 🙄

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Azathoth posted:

So before we can talk about examples, I need to know what would convince you?

anyone coming into this thread asking SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE doesn't actually care. literally any video could be read as "faked" / some weird artifact of light / some drone / an aircraft viewed from a strange angle / etc. even if we had a collection of incredible 4k videos it wouldn't matter

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

this is my favorite piece of weird "evidence." extremely spooky

"A broadsheet news article printed in April 1561 describes a mass sighting of celestial phenomena ... The document is archived in the prints and drawings collection at the Zentralbibliothek Zürich in Zürich, Switzerland.

According to the broadsheet, around dawn on 14 April 1561, "many men and women" of Nuremberg saw what the broadsheet describes as an aerial battle "out of the sun", followed by the appearance of a large black triangular object and exhausted combattant spheres falling to earth in clouds of smoke."

quote:

In the morning of April 14, 1561, at daybreak, between 4 and 5 a.m., a dreadful apparition occurred on the sun, and then this was seen in Nuremberg in the city, before the gates and in the country – by many men and women. At first there appeared in the middle of the sun two blood-red semi-circular arcs, just like the moon in its last quarter. And in the sun, above and below and on both sides, the color was blood, there stood a round ball of partly dull, partly black ferrous color. Likewise there stood on both sides and as a torus about the sun such blood-red ones and other balls in large number, about three in a line and four in a square, also some alone. In between these globes there were visible a few blood-red crosses, between which there were blood-red strips, becoming thicker to the rear and in the front malleable like the rods of reed-grass, which were intermingled, among them two big rods, one on the right, the other to the left, and within the small and big rods there were three, also four and more globes. These all started to fight among themselves, so that the globes, which were first in the sun, flew out to the ones standing on both sides, thereafter, the globes standing outside the sun, in the small and large rods, flew into the sun. Besides the globes flew back and forth among themselves and fought vehemently with each other for over an hour. And when the conflict in and again out of the sun was most intense, they became fatigued to such an extent that they all, as said above, fell from the sun down upon the earth 'as if they all burned' and they then wasted away on the earth with immense smoke. After all this there was something like a black spear, very long and thick, sighted; the shaft pointed to the east, the point pointed west. Whatever such signs mean, God alone knows. Although we have seen, shortly one after another, many kinds of signs on the heaven, which are sent to us by the almighty God, to bring us to repentance, we still are, unfortunately, so ungrateful that we despise such high signs and miracles of God. Or we speak of them with ridicule and discard them to the wind, in order that God may send us a frightening punishment on account of our ungratefulness. After all, the God-fearing will by no means discard these signs, but will take it to heart as a warning of their merciful Father in heaven, will mend their lives and faithfully beg God, that He may avert His wrath, including the well-deserved punishment, on us, so that we may temporarily here and perpetually there, live as his children. For it, may God grant us his help, Amen.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

this video kicks rear end and makes me really want a videogame where you all you do is drive a 1990s sedan around rural illinois at night looking for triangles

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Azathoth posted:

The implications of that being real puts a bunch of woo poo poo on the table.

it's a matter of perspective imho: a lot of real science sounds very woo, especially when you get into astrophysics; we just don't think of it as woo poo poo because we've internalized it as science

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

This is a painting Art Bell had commissioned to depict his Triangle encounter. Apparently he was really fussy about it because he wanted it to be as accurate as possible

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/x978hm/in_1994_coast_to_coast_am_host_art_bell_had_a/

the comments in this thread are really good. it's nuts how many people have independently seen these black triangles and how much agreement there is on a physical description

it's funny that flying saucers are still the dominant mental model for ufos when these triangles are the most agreed-upon sightings by far

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Conspiracy theory idea: what if moving away from nuclear power is a deep state op because it was attracting too many aliens :tinfoil:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

i remember reading a theory that the movement of basically any ufo only makes sense if they have some sort of mass-reduction technology. if you're able to theoretically reduce the mass of a ship to 0.0001g via some magic alien tech, then it wouldn't take much power to move the ship around

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

nasa announcements are so consistently lame it's almost as if they're some sort of anti-nasa op. like putting dejoy in charge of the post office

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Wheeee posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/yi8p0g/dr_eric_davis_crash_retrievals_with_occupants/

not new but not everyone is familiar with it

Eric Davis is a real deal physicist who's worked in secret government programs for decades, that doesn't mean he's right but if this poo poo is real he's one of the people who'd be aware

thank god, one of these types of videos that's not like 190 minutes long

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

the universe sucks precisely because it's too big. yeah, telescope shots can look cool, but in real life you can travel through space for 1,000,000 years and not see a single drat thing besides some distant stars. that's just bad UX

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

re: the size of the universe - I recommend everyone ITT try out the game "elite dangerous" if you haven't already. The entire appeal of the game is that it takes place in a "realistically-modelled milky way galaxy" with billions of stars. That's also the downside of the game... space is mind-bogglingly enormous, and it takes forever to get from point A to point B even if you travel at hundreds of times the speed of light. Great game for chilling out and taking in the scale of the universe

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Riot Bimbo posted:

I've wanted to like elite dangerous a lot but it took a lot of hours to get a decent setup for star-hopping, and the grind was miserable, and i'm still more or less at the scrub-tier side of things. Unless they've made it substantially less tedious to make money and access good ships, I feel like it's pretty mean to recommend that game to all but the most intense :spergin: wannabe space-truckers out there.

It's a bad game but a great simulator! it would be worth the full $60 even if it only contained earth's solar system. It's a piece of software that lets you smoothly fly from earth to saturn, and then land on jupiter's moons and watch the planet rise over the horizon, all with incredible graphics and sound design. Can't argue with that

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

This video kicks rear end. Nobody has proven this one to be faked, right?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Fausty posted:

very thin plastic sheet blown away from a roofing job

Ehh

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Probably something like this (helium filled foam) which apparently is becoming more popular and that more people are trying at home with simple equipment:

Hmm, yeah I could imagine one of these foam things looking a lot like the ufo vid, especially if it's been floating around and disintegrating for a while. The vivid sparkles in the ufo video are odd though - hard to imagine the foam reflecting sunlight in that way

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

"The November meteors: As observed between midnight and 5 o'clock A.M. on the night of November 13-14 1868." Some appear to be looping around, and one in the center is clearly making a sharp 90° turn... could just be artistic liberty, but that's an odd choice!

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47dd-e6cf-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

edit: then again, this is how the same artist drew Mars, lol https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47dd-e820-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Dec 12, 2022

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Any time someone suggests that UFOs are military tech, show them this. They've spent $999 bazillion dollars trying to get this jet to work. Orbs and triangles are a ways off

https://twitter.com/Worldsource24/status/1603468688589479936?t=QYHZTX1oRGq7KGuu2nprCw&s=19

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Re-reading "A Brief History of Time," and found the discussions of the "Strong Anthropic Principle" to be really interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

tl:dr; the fact that we exist is proof that our universe is capable of supporting life. This sounds like common sense, but is interesting when viewed the other way: that there may be an infinite number of universes that don't support life in any capacity, and ours may be extremely rare & special. If this "strong anthropic principle" is true, it's likely that our universe is actually rich with life. If it's built in a unique way which supports life, that means the universe itself is special, rather than Earth and/or our solar system being uniquely special, which would make it likely that there are an absolute shitload of aliens out there, which is fun to think about

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

I need to reread this. I don't recall much about it honestly

a lot of it is pretty dry as you'd expect! I skipped right to the "origins and fate of the universe" chapter because that seemed like a more interesting topic

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Dec 19, 2022

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

We need to get work smoothing out Earth. Every day we don't smooth the planet is a day wasted

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I feel like aliens have better things to do than hang out with us.

Nahhhhh, human society currently sucks but the vast vast vast majority of planets are dead rock / dust / gas planets that don't have much going on. To a space faring species, finding any planet with life is a jackpot

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

why are all of these youtube videos 90 minutes long at the absolute minimum

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH0l7nIMfw0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

D-Pad posted:

It's tik tok so maybe this is a fake clip but if it is real what the hell is that?

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRgN1n72/

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47dd-e6cf-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

WEH posted:

seagulls probably, camera just has a weird framerate

gulls don't fly like that at all - they're big, slow, and steady

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Jan 9, 2023