Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

julietthecat posted:

Ok so all forums suck, or maybe you jerks are just hiding the good ones. What are some good recent books to check out? Looking for something original and interesting, and preferably with a systematic approach (i.e. isn't just a bunch of rambling anecdotes).

Most recently read Mad Tonnies' The Cryptoterrestrials, which is a little original but definitely rambling.

I highly recommend UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go On The Record by Leslie Kean. She wrote it in like 2011 and is one of the journos that broke that first NYT story back in 2017. She is a big reason we are at where we are now with this subject. The book almost entirely stays away from any kind of speculation and just reviews several cases that have multiple very credible witnesses with other corroborating evidence such as FOIA released docs etc. In fact, I read that book back in like 2014 and it was responsible for completely changing my mind on this whole subject. It's the book I recommend to anybody I meet that is at all interested in the subject but afraid of all the woo woo quackery.

GWBBQ posted:

I know the cost is not a drop in the bucket at $500 US for all the parts and double that for a ready-to-go prebuilt one, but I really wish there were more all-sky cameras out there doing science and maybe spotting UAP so at least they're on camera even if they remain unidentified.

This is what Avi Loeb's new Galileo project is doing. He is basically setting up as many high powered cameras/telescopes with as many other sensors as he can do cheaply and plans to put up as many as he can get money for. Every bit of data will be put on the internet for free for analysis by anyone. He had some rich dude(s) donate several million to get the project going. If my powerball ticket wins he's getting a big donation. He's an astronomy chair at Harvard and plans to approach this the right way. He even said if anybody brought him previous evidence he doesn't want it as he wants to start from first principles/clean slate and do a true scientific investigation. If anybody outside the government ends up cracking this there is a good chance it will be him with this project.

D-Pad has issued a correction as of 07:13 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Jazerus posted:

lue comes off a little bit sketch sometimes but chris mellon and especially ross coulthart don't and they take him very seriously, so

Christopher Mellon being involved and saying the things he says is the number one thing that makes me believe all of this. This dude was a very serious DoD/Intelligence careerist who rose very high up in the department and worked for multiple administrations. He is in no way, shape, or form whacky. He also happens to be a Mellon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellon_family) and does not need the money at all. Not to mention if he wanted to grift he could make WAAAAY more going the typical DoD -> lobbyist/think tank/corporate board route, especially at the level he was at in the DoD.

Edit: To be clear, not believe everything Elizondo says but the current information out there about all this at the moment. Although I do give Elizondo a lot of leeway due to Mellon's and Harry Reid's endorsements.

D-Pad has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Sep 4, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Riot Bimbo posted:

Either way, I'd say it's an experience worth undertaking in a thoughtful and careful manner! If it's pure simulation, it can still be vivid enough to traumatize you, and if it's real everything including your soul could be at stake for loving around, so dive with care!

valp posted:

and also don't open your third eye chakra until you're mentally stable. Or at least, you're as mentally stable as someone who believes in chakras can be.

I'm going to take these posts at face value and ask:

Fried Watermelon posted:

What's the guide that you used?

Like give me instructions or point me to the ones you used. I'll give it a real shot.

Slavvy posted:

Now where was that paper about the air gapped RNG's after 9/11?

I want to know more about this

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I will admit that Lue often gives big woo woo/grifter vibes, but the Pentagon has both stated he was the director and was not at different times so you kind of have to disregard anything coming from them about him until they say more. However too many others have said unequivocally he was for it not to be true. I can understand why someone might not trust Reid but at this point he really doesn't have any motivation to lie I can think of. Beyond all that though, as I have stated before, Christopher Mellon being on board is the big clincher for me:

D-Pad posted:

Christopher Mellon being involved and saying the things he says is the number one thing that makes me believe all of this. This dude was a very serious DoD/Intelligence careerist who rose very high up in the department and worked for multiple administrations. He is in no way, shape, or form whacky. He also happens to be a Mellon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellon_family) and does not need the money at all. Not to mention if he wanted to grift he could make WAAAAY more going the typical DoD -> lobbyist/think tank/corporate board route, especially at the level he was at in the DoD.

I just can't really think of any reason Mellon would be involved in this if it wasn't true. I trust him more than anybody else in this whole circus and he backs up most of the story out there explicitly.

Edit: Personally, I think 75% or more of this actually is advanced adversarial drones from China/Russia spying on infrastructure and conducting signals intelligence, but there is obviously a component that cannot be explained with that theory. There are two things going on here, both are very important and should be pursued seriously. My fear is that because it will be easier to prove the adversarial drones part of the equation once they do the government will wipe its hands, congratulate itself, and say mission accomplished and conveniently forget about the other part of this as if it never happened.

D-Pad has issued a correction as of 15:45 on Sep 8, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

pancake rabbit posted:

lol i guess this hits different if you're not familiar with cdan's track record huh

Why don't you just give us examples of them being right so we are all familiar with their track record?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I think von Neumann probes make the most sense. Especially because if one civ can do it many are likely to have done it and that would explain the differences in craft, behaviors, etc. We aren't that far off from being able to do it ourselves and if life is common the galaxy would be filled with these things which would explain the frequency. Basically the galactic equivalent of birds. It would also make sense to program them to not interact directly or as little as possible with any civilization found to prevent potential hostilities but you'd also want them to study them as much as possible.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

cool av posted:

All while, so far, everything we see when we search the skies indicates that we're terrifyingly alone.

This gets brought up a lot but we have barely even started.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/only-small-fraction-space-searched-aliens

quote:

new calculation shows that if space is an ocean, we’ve barely dipped in a toe. The volume of observable space combed so far for E.T. is comparable to searching the volume of a large hot tub for evidence of fish in Earth’s oceans, astronomer Jason Wright at Penn State and colleagues say in a paper posted online September 19 at arXiv.org

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/why-havent-we-found-alien-life-yet-blame-our-closed-minds

quote:

Most of the searching so far, he adds, has been in the radio range, where scientists have examined a tiny fraction of the possible frequencies in an equally tiny fraction of the possible search space. Surveys in optical wavelengths have been much less extensive.

We just haven't searched nearly enough to make any conclusion that we are terrifyingly alone.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Slavvy posted:

The idea that the US government can cover up something so fantastic for decades on end is, by far, the least plausible theory put forward itt.

For typical conspiracy stuff this is usually true, but there have been tons of videos, photographs, and whistleblowers over the decades. They've all been ignored because of the way this subject is viewed by the general public and media. The fact that most of them were crazy people just gives that much more reason to people not to listen to any of them. The Nimitz encounter story was out there almost since it happened and it took a NYT article 15 years later before anybody took it at all seriously, and even then it is dismissed by more people than believe it.

Shifty Nipples posted:

When I think about how little I knew about Area 51, Lockheed's Skunk Works, Tacit Blue and Have Blue back in the mid 90's it becomes easier to accept that it's probably not aliens.

Yes and no. I absolutely believe that a big part of this is regular human stuff like adversarial drones and black project crap, in fact it's probably the majority. The other stuff like that tic tac (assuming it actually did exhibit the capabilities claimed) is in no way shape or form human tech. That's not just some "we'll have that in 20 years" tech it's "we may have that in 100 years if we are lucky" tech and it took place almost 20 years ago.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I wasn't reading the thread at the time this came out but was it ever discussed in here? Christopher Mellon tweeted about it when it first dropped:

https://www.uaptheory.com/

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

As far as I can tell, this thread is pretty much the only place on the Internet where I can look at people showing any evidence of UAP and also unconditionally disallows random racist and Nazi bullshit.

I won't argue in bad faith, and I'm really hoping that something can convince me that any of this is real. I just haven't seen it. yet

Echoing the post above this. There really isn't a (public) smoking gun yet. At this point you have to take it on balance of evidence and circumstantial stuff while filtering all the woo and aforementioned racist/nazi stuff out. That isn't an easy task but I don't know anybody who has seriously done it and not come away believing something is going on. There is just too much credible stuff for it to be a complete delusion.

I *highly* suggest you start with Leslie Keane's book UFOS: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go On The Record. Then read The Drive's reporting on the Tic Tac and Go Fast encounters. After that familiarize yourself with Christopher Mellon, think about what possible motivations he could have for lying (hint, there are none) and read/watch some of his stuff. That's basically the path I took and several skeptic friends became believers after taking the same one.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I'll take a look, but at a glance Keane's work looks a whole lot like National Institute for Discovery Science stuff. Mellon has a financial stake in To The Stars Academy. I'll take a look anyway.

Kean has been legitimately investigating this stuff for about 20 years now and was one of the journalists who broke the original NYT story in 2017. I'll admit that she isn't 100% free of woo, I've yet to find somebody who's been involved in it for that long who isn't. Her other book is hogwash but the UFO book I stand behind as a reasonable look at some of the most compelling cases and evidence we have period.

She does a good job of staying away from conjecture about what this actually is and just presents the evidence as is as well as stays away from the woo. The other thing about that book that really got me is how much this is accepted as happening internationally. There are a ton of other governments that have openly admitted this is happening over the decades that most Americans never heard about, France being a good example.

As for Christopher Mellon and any financial stake he may have in To The Stars I'll repeat what I said earlier in the thread. The dude is a Mellon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellon_family). He never needed to work a day in his life if he didn't want to. He was a serious figure in the US defense space and was one of the most senior figures in US intelligence when he left. Any money he could possibly make from To The Stars pales in comparison to both his family money as well as the money he could have made if he had chosen to go the typical route one goes when they retire from the DoD at that level into think tanks, speaking engagements, military industrial positions and corporate boards. The financial argument does not hold up at all for him. If you read up on him you'll find he has a serious reputation and is just not somebody you would ever expect to get involved with this type of stuff unless he is 110% sure of it and believes it has immense importance to the United States. And he was absolutely in a position to know.

D-Pad has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Sep 18, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Multiple former Presidents go on national television during the lead-up to a pentagon report to congress on the topic of UAPs and admit that there are objects flying in American airspace that the government cannot explain, pentagon gives classified report containing significant sensor information and other data to select members of congress which confirms the existence of technology which appears to be far beyond the capability or even understanding of any human state, senators and congressmen who’ve been briefed have publicly been all ‘uh yea we don’t know poo poo’s cray’, in the wake of this report other governments in Europe and even China have admitted they’re seeing this UAP poo poo and are actively looking into it, serious scientific programs including Avi Loeb’s begin starting up to independently investigate, and the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2022 requires the establishment of a permanent UAP investigation department with regular required reporting to congress?

what a buncha bullshit this is just lue mellon grifting up interest for his ttsa book sales i know for a god drat fact if there was aliens here they’d be beamin signals into space we’d see

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I feel like it would be a Derek Smart situation

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

finally getting some good reading time with Remarkable Luminous Phenomena in this afternoon, learning about all the cool aurora types. the "aurora meteors" are my favorite so far.

unlike that troop who cspam uap thread owned thoroughly :smug:

Goddamnit. I'm a book collector and I love weird poo poo like this so now I've got to have the entire run of all the Sourcebook Project books. There are currently 9 books that are still in print and you can get them in a bundle for 30% off what they would cost from the Sourcebook Project website on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/165019983825

Now to start sourcing the rest.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

yeah my mind was blown when I was reading the intros and finding out there are like 35 published books in the sourcebook project? wild, idk if I'll ever get more than the 11 I got unless I stumble across them.

that ebay link is jim corliss, bill's son, selling what's left of the existing print run so good to move on it. he seems like a very nice man. next time im in williamsburg ill have to try to weirdly creep and see if I can buy him coffee or something.

Where did you source the 11 you have? Ebay has some others but not even close to all of them.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

WEH posted:

lol i got some bad news for you

I've already found copies of the rest, most of them for less than $100. Several of them are quite a bit more. I just picked up another 8 in addition to the 9 I just grabbed off ebay for about $500 all in. $30 a book isn't bad, all hardcovers. I'll get the rest over the next year as I can afford it or find deals.

edit: Unfortunately the Unfathomed Mind: A Handbook of Unusual Mental Phenomena is the most expensive and it's the one I am most interested to read.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I do believe that most of what is being encountered are adversarial drones taking advantage of the lack of reporting requirements in the US military for this type of thing to perform signals intelligence scouting. All China or Russia have to do is make it look and behave weird and anybody sighting it doesn't want to report it because of the stigma and potential career consequences.

That being said there is very obviously a different phenomenon that does not have a human origin. My biggest fear with all this is that now that the government is putting real money and effort into this is they get solid proof of the adversarial drones and declare mission accomplished that's all it was and the media makes a big deal out of all the idiots that thought it was aliens and everybody goes back to how it was before.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

it dont matter posted:

That Tuscon drone was some kinda fancy quadcopter

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42404/tucson-mystery-drone-had-rotors-according-to-border-patrol-helicopter-aircrews-emails

This thing flew for over an hour while it outran helicopters and was tracked up to 14,000 feet.

Which is crazy performance but not completely out of the realm of possibility for advanced human tech. This is a good example of a uap that was almost certainly a adversarial drone performing surveillance. It was looking at a military base or power plant IIRC.

It's still very important we start identifying these and developing countermeasures, but I'm afraid it will be at the expense of any effort towards uncovering the real birds.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I've got a lot of reading to do. Have a few more coming in. Now begins the slow process of tracking down the rest at reasonable prices.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Jazerus posted:

i don't believe in the US government having the competence to reverse engineer bird propulsion, bob lazar is full of poo poo

Lazar is definitely full of poo poo, but to be fair his story is that the US government hasn't been able to reverse engineer it after decades and tons of resources.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I was at a comedy thing and Joe Rogan did a Q&A. I asked him what all his UFO guests say when the mics are off. He got pretty serious and said "every one of them strongly implies that the government has bodies."

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Not a bird but pretty loving sweet. I got my RZA painting of Wu-Tang crossing the Delaware back from the framers! Signed, numbered, with RZA's real handprints in acrylic. It has 36 secrets hidden throughout such as the Wu-Tang symbol instead of stars on the flag.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Man there was a really great skinwalkers thread on these forums like 10-15 years ago. Like a really good thread. Somebody with archives needs to find that. I think there were two but the first one was the best.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/feeling-too-much/202110/are-some-people-autism-primed-experience-anomalies

I believe this forum is perfectly equipped to solve the bird question once and for all.

Also, this means the CIA has some secret Men Who Stare At Goats: Autism program doesn't it?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

WEH posted:

Apparently there's a goon on the sub that hit a bird lmao

For real? Was this mentioned in a thread? We've got to get him in here when he gets back to port.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

blatman posted:

im still hoping we discover that ghosts are real and can be used as environmentally friendly air conditioners due to their habit of cooling down rooms

Maybe I should do an effort post about Spencer, the ghost who lives at my parents house. I'm not talking about "once there was a strange noise" either. I could easily get 50 people to testify under oath in a court of law he is real. I've seen him multiple times as have many others. Tons of stories. He was just a fact of life growing up. We have a lot of friends and family who refuse to stay overnight at our house, but he's never done anything scary or threatening. He's just there sometimes.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Alright I'll get something together tomorrow. Honestly I've always wanted to post about it but just lol at exposing myself on these forums to that level of ridicule. Deserved honestly, if you ask me if I believe in ghosts I can honestly say no. I do believe in Spencer though. This thread is cool and good though so I'll post.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Oh poo poo. Uh, what can you tell me about this guy. Is he woo? Legit?

I ask because I went to Baylor and live in Austin. He is a professor at Baylor and works at Earthtech/Institute For Advanced Studies in Austin. I have good connections to Baylor professors and could legit get in to meet this guy if I really tried. Worth it?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChrisKMellon/status/1446500877032955923?t=OuEgLCzMFLvYW171oOI8qg&s=19

Unfortunately no live stream, but hopefully someone like The Drive or Black Vault will cover it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah even if he grew up middle class he got every door opened to him he ever needed to open once he was an adult and still has more wealth than the vast majority of Americans at this point.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It's all nonsense, but the soviet report sounds really interesting along with the fact that the points of the crystal corresponded to the pyramids, bermuda triangle, easter island, etc.

Anybody able to dig that report up?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Alright, as promised here is the ghost post.

Background:

My parents live in the middle of nowhere Texas on 50 acres. The land has been in my family for ~100 years. As far as I know there weren't any existing homes on the property previously. My dad was a master carpenter and built our house himself in '78. I was born in '83. It was about 2k square feet, then in the late 80s/early 90s my dad got into the Ostrich/Emu boom early and made a ton of money raising big dumb birds. My parents added onto the house doubling the size with that money. I could do a whole post about the Ostrich/Emu boom and eventual bust and the experience of farming them but off topic.

Spencer is the name my parents gave the ghost. I have no idea where that name came from or why they picked it. He made his presence known for the first time very quickly after they moved in. My parents had been given one of those mantle clocks that chimes every so often and must be wound up to work as a wedding gift. They had never even taken it out of the box. They heard it chime and when they went into the room it was out of the box and wound up. That is probably the most concrete physical thing he has ever done.

As I said in my previous post, there are so many family members and friends of the family that have experienced Spencer in some shape or form. Fewer people have seen him with their eyes then heard him. There are people that refuse to stay overnight at my parents, although he has never done anything threatening or anything scary. I myself have seen him many times, the most recent was about 4 years ago when I was back at my parents visiting with their grandkids. He has periods of activity that last anywhere from a week to a few months and then inactivity for a few months to even 1-2 years at times. I am 37 and have not lived there since I was 18, but it is common when talking to my mom for her to casually drop a "spencer has been really active lately." We've never been able to pin down any correlation of active times with any variable. Growing up he was just a fact of life, just another member of the family basically.

Physical sightings come in two different flavors:

The first is him just being there looking as real and as normal as any other person. Not wavy or insubstantial or any of the ghost tropes. He's just suddenly there and just as suddenly isn't. It's weird, not like he visibly popped into existence and disappeared the same way, more like he is just there in one moment to the next in a way that makes it seem like he was already there and you just didn't see him. Always going about as if he was a normal person doing normal things, never just standing there staring at you or anything like that, more like he isn't aware of you. He looks like an older white man in his 50s/60s wearing working man on a farm type clothes. If you've ever spent time in a rural area you know what I mean. Jeans and a work shirt of the type that look like they belong just as much in the early 1900s as they do today. This type of sighting is much rarer and lasts anywhere from 2-15 seconds, but usually on the shorter end.

The second type is more of a man shaped shadow, but substantial and in 3d not flat like a real shadow. It's hard to describe as these sightings are always very very short, never longer than a second at most. They are out of the corner of your eye or walking by a doorway or window. Blink and you miss it type things. These sightings are much more common, but still very rare compared to the sounds.

I've only had a handful of the first type, but many of the second.

Sounds:

When I speak about sounds I am not talking about just some weird noise. These are very distinct sounds that are unique to my parents' house. Let me explain.

The fence that goes all the way around my parents house was built by my dad. The fence is very substantial. The posts and crossposts are 2-3 inch diameter pipes my dad got from oil field supply and cut and welded together. The links are a cross hatch chainlink style pattern but not the material you see in regular chain link fences. It's a very thick substantial steel wire of some type. Unlike the traditional chain links you could not bend this and it has zero give. Probably also from oil field supply, but I've never asked. You could run into this fence with a car and your car is going to lose, not the fence. The gate is made out of the same material.

Edit: I found a picture where you can see the fence. This is looking out the side of the house, but the gate that is visible on the right is the same as the front gate. All that rust on the hinges and the metal makes for a loud gate. The latch is also the same metal as the posts and not that lighter metal/aluminum that you see on most fences which contributes to the noise.

All that to say that opening and closing the gate is LOUD, both because of the metal clinking sounds and also because the hinges have probably never been oiled. It has a very distinct sound both when you open it and when you close it. I learned to never not shut it behind me because my dad could clearly hear if I only opened and didn't close it by the sound. You can very clearly hear someone opening/closing the gate from anywhere in the house and within a few hundred feet of the house. Again, it does not sound like anything else and the typical random noises that happen in and around the house could never be mistaken for that gate opening and closing.

Spencer opens and closes that gate all the time when he is active. Nobody has ever seen him actually do it to my knowledge, the way the house/windows are setup there isn't a clear site line to immediately be able to look as soon as you hear the sound. This is one of the two most common things that he does. Anybody that has ever spent any decent amount of time at our house has heard this. When he is very active it can happen multiple times in a day.

The other very distinct sound is walking up and down the hallway. The add-on my parents did is a very long hallway with rooms for my sister and I at the end, the hallway runs the entire length of the house. The flooring in the hallway is mexican saltillo tile. You've probably seen it before, brown in square foot sections with a big line of grey grout between them. Because of these tiles and whatever type of flooring is underneath them it is impossible for somebody to walk down that hallway without it being relatively loud and distinctive. I mean if you consciously sneak you can be pretty quiet, but anybody walking normal makes a loud distinctive footstep sound. And not just from the shoes, it's a sound that happens regardless of footwear almost like the house/floor shaking from the steps. Spencer walks up and down that hall all the time when he is active. Again, this is something anybody who spent any amount of time at our house has heard. Especially mine and my sister's friends because our rooms are at the end of the hall and when you are young with friends over you are always listening for your parents coming to check on you or whatever. Typically it would not sound like he was walking down the entire hall, it's long and it takes a bit for somebody to make it all the way down, usually it would sound like he walked about half the length in the middle area. It's not a faint sound either, it sounds exactly like a real person walking down.

Edit: Here is the exact type of tile:

Anyway, I know that was a shitload of words to just say "we hear some sounds", but I really want to set the stage and emphasize that these are very distinct, loud sounds that are completely unique to a person performing an action. We aren't hearing some knocking that could realistically be anything and contributing it to a ghost. The sightings and these two sounds are the most frequent interaction we have with Spencer, but not the only ones

Stories in no particular order:

When I was very young the very first full sentence I ever said was "momma who's that man?" as I pointed over her shoulder. She saw nobody there when she turned around.

I've seen him walk through our kitchen (the full man not shadow) 2-3 times. Once it looked like he was making coffee (for about 5 seconds I saw him), and both my mom and my dad have seen the same.

I've seen his shadow form more times than I can count or remember. Out of the corner of my eye is common. Walking by a doorway or a quick glimpse like that is also common. The sighting I mentioned four years ago was one such. Above the kitchen sink is a window into our hallway, it used to be an actual window looking outside before the addition. I was bathing my infant son in the sink and Spencer very quickly walked by that window not 4 feet away from me.

I distinctly remember once when I was around 10 years old the A/C on our end of the house had gone out and my sister and I slept on the floor of our parents. My mom bent down to wake me up and when I opened my eyes I saw who I thought was my dad walk through the bedroom doorway over my mom's shoulder clear as day. Then when I stood up my dad was asleep in the bed next to me.

My cousin was babysitting us once and ended up calling 911 because Spencer walked by both picture windows in the living room at night and she thought it was a burglar or something. I can remember her being very scared, but I didn't see him that time.

My dad was at the house by himself and reading in bed. He very clearly and loudly heard someone pissing in the toilet. Not running water but the sound a heavy stream of piss makes. Then the toilet flushed. He got up and went in there and of course nobody was there, but it also didn't appear as if the toilet had actually been flushed.

When he was younger my dad used to go to the rockies in Colorado with his two mules for 3-4 weeks in November/December and go deep into the backcountry and be a mountain man surviving off the land (I could make a whole thread about my dad he is wild). He very strongly claims that on two occasions that Spencer went with him. I'd have to talk to him to get the full story as it's been so long I don't remember much, but he was very sure that he was with him the entirety of both trips.

There are so many more, many I have forgotten. I could gather a books worth if I gathered them from all our family and friends who have their own Spencer stories.

Misc Thoughts:

There are other things too. Stuff like things being moved or in a different place to where they last were at. Sounds like knocking or similar. I heavily discount these though because people forget where they put things and those types of sounds could realistically be anything. I have no doubt some of them were Spencer but just as many probably aren't.

I just texted my mom while I was writing this up and asked her if Spencer had been active lately. She said very. He has been loud and making lots of noises and moving stuff. She also said she has heard mumbling in other rooms a lot lately, which is something I don't remember every encountering myself.

What do I think he is? I call him a ghost because I don't have a better word for it, but I am not at all convinced he is a ghost in the traditional sense, like a spirit of the deceased or whatever. I think it could be that our house is just a spot where the membrane between universes is thinner and we just occasionally see another universe weakly interacting with ours. Maybe he is really a deceased echo of a person or their spirit, as I said his clothes would not have been out of place a century or more ago on a farm in the area. I really just don't know. If you ask me if I believe in ghosts I can strongly say no I don't, but I do believe in Spencer. A big part of it is 99.9% of the ghost/haunting stories I have heard from other people just don't match up with my experience or if they do they only happened once or twice and not repeatedly over 40 years to multiple people.

I've had the urge to investigate it further, but how would I even go about it? I firmly believe all that poo poo you see in ghost shows with weird equipment and poo poo is total bullshit and I'd never invite those crazy people into my parent's house. I guess I could put up cameras, but I don't think my parents would like that and I would basically have to monitor it constantly to even have a bit of a shot at maybe catching anything plus I have no idea if it would even show up on a camera. If anybody has any suggestions though I am all ears.

My parents are in their 70s now so it won't be too long before they pass or have to go into some kind of assisted living situation and my sister and I will most likely sell the house at that point. I do plan to not mention a single thing to whoever purchases it but contact them after they have been there a few years to see if they've had experiences to at least have some kind of independent confirmation beyond my family and friends. Maybe he'll just move in with my family, after all he has left on a trip with my dad twice.

One other random thought, we always had multiple cats and dogs and as far as I can recall I never noticed them being strange like you sometimes hear in stories. Like a cat hissing at a corner of the room or the dog barking at nothing in the middle of a room.

Anyway, that covers everything I can think of right now but feel free to ask questions!

D-Pad has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Oct 10, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

:hmmyes: spencer is a future owner wondering who this couple and their kid is that keep popping up to haunt him whenever the timeline gets folded up wrong

fun post, thanks for typing that out

This would be cool as gently caress if the new owner told me that. Hadn't considered it but the whole thing is so weird it could be!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Wanna know more about those Backcountry excursions with spencer, I do a lot of that stuff including Backcountry skiing but I often don't have anyone to do it with.

Would love to have a cool interdimensional homie to do it with.

My dad is actually coming in today. I'll ask.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Wanna know more about those Backcountry excursions with spencer, I do a lot of that stuff including Backcountry skiing but I often don't have anyone to do it with.

Would love to have a cool interdimensional homie to do it with.

Spoke with my dad. He said the main thing is that on the drive up from Texas going through New Mexico Spencer put his hand on my dad's shoulder . He wasn't visible but he felt the hand on his shoulder very clearly. He said it seemed like he was letting him know he was with him. Not much else on the trip other than the feeling somebody was with him.

My dad also said he has been hearing him a lot lately and he has seen him three times this year in the shadow form. Sounds like he has been very active this year.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

What is CE5? That crazy Greer stuff where you send good vibes at the sky and they visit you?

Liepmanj@gmail.com

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

Are there any satellite TV operators still broadcasting on C Band?

Lmao not the question I expected. I dunno but I doubt it.

For those that don't know he is talking about the big rear end satellite dish in the background of the fence picture. My parents live too far out for cable and only pick up 3 channels on the regular antenna so we had the old school satellite in the 90s before the more modern services like dish and DirecTV.

It was a trip. Each satellite only had 24 channels iirc correctly. So Nickelodeon would be on satellite g6 or e5 channel 15 or some poo poo. If you wanted to watch MTV that might be on satellite d3. So you would have to select D3 and that bigass dish would slowly pan to a different orientation to pick up that satellite then you would go to the specific channell. Channel surfing was not really a thing.

Also, for many years we were satellite pirates. Once a week after school my parents would drive us out to this dude's trailer and either me or my sister would run up to the porch where a giant stack of printed papers would be under a rock and grab one. Each satellite would have like a 32 character string code that would have to be inputted into the receiver to access it. The satellite companies would change them every week and we'd have to do it all over again. I think when it started they only changed it every few weeks but the time period slowly shrunk until they were changing codes daily and my parents gave up and paid for the service.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This is just someone claiming :tinylue: said he was remote viewing right? I mean I've always felt a little iffy with :tinylue: but I'm gonna be so pissed if he just turns out to be another crank grifter.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Never heard of k6bd before this post, but this poo poo is awesome. Can't outdrink a sorority sister lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Like at anytime? Just walking through a mall and boom you are somewhere else? Do you fall down? Is it an immediate change like somebody flipped a switch or do you have a few seconds warning?

Also, not trying to accuse you of lying or whatever but do you have any verification in the sense you saw something in the astral plane you were able to verify in reality that you otherwise wouldn't have known. Because that age is also when schizophrenia tends to kick in. I had a roommate with it and he sometimes had all consuming episodes/hallucinations instead of just a voice or whatever.