Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Playing with my friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

It's honestly wild to me that all the pre-PS1 Mega Men continued holding on to passwords for no reason, always such a pain in the rear end putting them in.

:actually: the SNES mini has a Reset button...which you use to generate a save state

i think some of it is the mega man games are so quick. the password system almost feels more like some konami code level skip more than an actual save. i don't think i've ever entered a password for mega man x, even back when i was still learning it, it just feels better to clobber chill penguin again.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

It's honestly wild to me that all the pre-PS1 Mega Men continued holding on to passwords for no reason, always such a pain in the rear end putting them in.

Passwords are easier to implement because saving on an NES/SNES requires additional save RAM and an onboard battery

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Talking to NPCs

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

enemies taking one step when you do

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Swapping position with friendly NPCs

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

i love the trend of speed upgrades or even just run buttons/toggles, and double jumps. i gotta have my double jumps!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

dromal phrenia posted:

i love the trend of speed upgrades or even just run buttons/toggles, and double jumps. i gotta have my double jumps!
oh man just earlier today I thought about how awesome it is in Metroidvanias when you have your full moveset and just zoom around the early rooms

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

dromal phrenia posted:

double jumps are definitely one of my favorite mechanics

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

double jump with an air dash

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

half-pressing the A button

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mid cycle incremental hardware upgrades

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

skippable cutscenes, or even better, pauseable cutscenes (with an option to skip). maybe this is more of a pet peeves post because a lot of games don’t have these

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Final Fantasy pixel remasters

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

tiny fuckin fonts :xd:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Building a base, and upgrading it

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

3D games on consoles with analog sticks that offer more than 8 directions of movement

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

b_d posted:

pauseable cutscenes (with an option to skip).

love this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Subtitles

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

b_d posted:

skippable cutscenes, or even better, pauseable cutscenes (with an option to skip).

Every game needs this or at least the Witcher 3 style button that skips to the next line of dialogue

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

Every game needs this or at least the Witcher 3 style button that skips to the next line of dialogue

this is drivin me nuts in yakuza 6 right now, sometimes the dialogue skip is just to move to the next line of dialogue nd sometimes it skips over like a bunch of on screen action. like one button press might be to go to the next thing kiryu's saying while hes standing still and sometimes you go from standing in a house talking to leaning out the window smoking a cigarette and saying somethin

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

At the end of a game, on the way to the final boss, when every one of the friends, allies, and rivals you’ve met over the course of the game who aren’t part of your actual party show up one-by-one to help you defeat the boss in a way that conveniently isn’t part of the actual fight but still helps in some story-related way

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

At the end of a game, on the way to the final boss, when every one of the friends, allies, and rivals you’ve met over the course of the game who aren’t part of your actual party show up one-by-one to help you defeat the boss in a way that conveniently isn’t part of the actual fight but still helps in some story-related way

The moment right after this when the title theme plays

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

When all your friends from before start praying for you.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

When all your friends from before start praying for you.

:hai:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

final dungeon in a jrpg has a hype Everything Is Coming To An End music track and fights don't interrupt it

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I like when a game thanks me for playing at the end, so that I can smile and nod serenely like a benevolent patriarch. you’re welcome

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

~FIN~

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

ooh yes. powerful

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
When the credits thank me very much for playing.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

....AND YOU!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Grindin (said in Clipse voice)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

....AND YOU!

......me? oh. well. i. thank you, Capcom. i must say this comes as a surprise. i'd like to say a few words, just off the cuff, about my experiences working on Mega Man X *pulling out an overstuffed 3 inch binder as i clear my throat*

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
revealing the nude boobs.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

When an early boss shows up later in the game as a normal enemy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A perfect 1.5 second pause between hearing a treasure chest click open and finding out what's inside

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

spinning, floating powerups, and/or collecting items by just running into them. slowly dying trend but a good one

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Smelling the RAM

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

bursts and roman cancels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Finding a woodcutter’s axe and using it to chop your own firewood