Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
BOOM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You didn't ask me but here's my opinion: purple is weird but should be rarer than yellow, and green is awesome because getting a set item drop in Diablo 2 is super exciting

ah gently caress it's Isenhart AGAIN

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Upon careful review of the thread I'm going to have to change my vote to jumping

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

i looked this up and apparently it's this. it looks like there are some similar retro indie "treasures" that do it as a callback, all basically from the same people, and everything else after 1995 is either a re-release or a collection.
It's honestly wild to me that all the pre-PS1 Mega Men continued holding on to passwords for no reason, always such a pain in the rear end putting them in.

b_d posted:

this can’t possibly qualify as a trend that never left. consoles don’t even have reset buttons anymore.
:actually: the SNES mini has a Reset button...which you use to generate a save state

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

dromal phrenia posted:

i love the trend of speed upgrades or even just run buttons/toggles, and double jumps. i gotta have my double jumps!
oh man just earlier today I thought about how awesome it is in Metroidvanias when you have your full moveset and just zoom around the early rooms

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

When an early boss shows up later in the game as a normal enemy.
This, and also recurring bosses throughout a whole game series

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

Damage boosts

damage boosts on multi-hit attacks :discourse:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

the postgame

Unrelated: just beat Bowser in 3D World and there's like half the game left baybee

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

mycophobia posted:

can't say im familiar with this particular trope
Um, he's, gulp *starts sweating* talking about my...my posts

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

Oh actually speaking of TW3,

Something id like to see more of in an RPG is the story recap that TW3 does when you load the game up.
Final Fantasy XIII-2 does that, but because the game is super nonlinear, the recap is usually incoherent nonsense lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0wYibfRjsw