Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Summer 2002 my dad set up an extension cord+small TV next to our pool to watch some baseball with friends and when they all went inside I grabbed a second extension cord and set up the GameCube and spent the rest of the day floating along the side the pool playing Super Mario Sunshine

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

I think the reason I could never agree with “Sunshine is a lesser Mario game” people has to do less with the game itself and more to do with that specific event. Swimming around the reef in Gelato Beach while swimming around irl is a pristine gamer memory

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I think the reason I could never agree with “Sunshine is a lesser Mario game” people has to do less with the game itself and more to do with that specific event. Swimming around the reef in Gelato Beach while swimming around irl is a pristine gamer memory

even more immersive: if you drop the controller while you're trying to clean up all the electric goo, you get electricuted for real.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

even more immersive: if you drop the controller while you're trying to clean up all the electric goo, you get electricuted for real.

Lol

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Summer 2002 my dad set up an extension cord+small TV next to our pool to watch some baseball with friends and when they all went inside I grabbed a second extension cord and set up the GameCube and spent the rest of the day floating along the side the pool playing Super Mario Sunshine

This is something the little brother in a live action Disney channel sitcom would do. The dog would also be in the pool, wearing sunglasses, floating in a big rubber duck inner tube.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my first ps2 game was dynasty warriors 2 and it set the tone for the rest of my life

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i love the ps2's massive expansive library of great games in every genre

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Alaois posted:

my first ps2 game was dynasty warriors 2 and it set the tone for the rest of my life

Same kinda. I played this & all the sequels while everyone mocked & talked poo poo about the musou genre for 20 years. Now look at you. Oh you finally realized it's just 3d diablo and is sick as gently caress? Oh you like it now that Link is the Main Character? You are the first corpses amongst my pile. Die.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Dynasty Warriors made me a Three Kingdoms head and is why I have this username. Thank you, Musou.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'd forgotten dynasty warriors goes back that far somehow, but then i remembered that i used screenshots for some Community-esque "bring greek myths into the modern age" project in college because i really wanted to play a trojan war version where musou mode was divine rage for some reason.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Musou gave us Linkle so gamers everywhere must swear fealty to Koei Tecmo

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

That Little Demon posted:

bought a modded ps2 last year with a HDD with nearly every game on it, loads right from the hard drive. best decision in a long time

Where did you get one from?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

CyberPingu posted:

Where did you get one from?

etsy lol

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

To Etsy I go.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man now I am reminded of how my idiot college roommate broke my PS2 and am sad now.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
My og PS2 lasted maybe two years and would no longer load games past the title screen. Didn't matter what game, or what controller I was using. I could even go into the options menus, but not start the game.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

my ps2 was a beast that eventually would only spin a disc if the whole system was upside down

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

My mates dad used to repair PS2s and basically had the whole neighborhoods PS2s go through his house at one point.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

tao of lmao posted:

my ps2 was a beast that eventually would only spin a disc if the whole system was upside down

Mine got to the point where it could only be used for 90 minutes at a time and would malfunction if it stayed on longer. I could watch movies as long as they were under 90 minutes. I probably should've had it fixed but I traded it for a slim.

I got mine around March 2001. I think the first game I played on it was a rented Star Wars Starfighter. The DVD-playing ability was such a huge deal at the time and probably why mine wore out; I probably used it for movies as much as games.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Yeah a DVD player on its own cost about as much (or even more) than a PS2 for those first couple years so it was basically no contest.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Watched Little Nicky on DVD about 600 times.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
It was my first DVD player as well. I even bought the remote for it.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
I bought my PS2 at a Japanese import game shop because the guy behind the counter assured me that it wasn't region locked and it would play anything. It would be about a year before I could mod it to play US games, but I got pretty good at street fighter ex 3

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Yeah a DVD player on its own cost about as much (or even more) than a PS2 for those first couple years so it was basically no contest.

That's why they sold so many isn't it? People were just buying them as one of the cheapest DVD players that also just happened to play games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

yeah, most people bought a ps2 to watch the matrix on dvd, it outsold any single game available on the console during the launch lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my first dvd was rush hour 2. i have never seen rush hour.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think the first thing I ever watched on DVD was Mallrats with the directors commentary lol.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
First DVD we ever watched was The Wedding Singer. My dad knew the guy that owned the rental place near us and would get the heads up on all the latest tech.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The first DVD I ever watched was Hook (1991)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think mine was The Phantom Menace

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my first DVD watched was Casablanca. we bought it for my mom on mother's day because it's her favorite movie and she had to show it to us immediately.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Dude where's my car

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

we had the matrix, best in show, happy gilmore and pee-wee's big adventure

Roth posted:

I think mine was The Phantom Menace

that too

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mine was the 1998 Matthew Broderick Godzilla lol. I got it, an OG Xbox, the dvd remote thing that goes with the Xbox, and a copy of the first Splinter Cell for the most epic birthday I’ve ever had. No idea how my parents afforded it since my mom was working at Best Buy and my dad was an enlisted grunt in the Air Force. Parents ftw.

Apparently the movie is complete dogshit but I loved it as an 10 year old or w/e so I’m never going to rewatch it and taint the memories

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Mine was the 1998 Matthew Broderick Godzilla lol. I got it, an OG Xbox, the dvd remote thing that goes with the Xbox, and a copy of the first Splinter Cell for the most epic birthday I’ve ever had. No idea how my parents afforded it since my mom was working at Best Buy and my dad was an enlisted grunt in the Air Force. Parents ftw.

Apparently the movie is complete dogshit but I loved it as an 10 year old or w/e so I’m never going to rewatch it and taint the memories

Same, it was my intro to Godzilla and I loved how effortlessly Godzilla trounced the military until the jets took them out.

Then in, like 5th grade, a dude I was buddies with showed me Godzilla 1984 and was like "Dude check this one out, not even the jets can stop him in this one" and 10 year old me was immediately hyped.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
The Matrix here

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i had matrix on dvd before i had anything that could play it

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

austin powers

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I think the first Lord of the Rings movie was our first DVD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Shrek ftw