Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Wow that makes me feel way better, thank you!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Good kitty! I love your front door, BTW.

Thanks! It came with the house. We want to paint it and the shutters pink or purple

Speaking of color. Honestly, we have no idea what to plan for the siding color with the very beige brick. We want pink or purple accents but it seems like the only siding color that would even sort of look decent would be just…beige. I absolutely hate beige so any design tips would be very helpful. In a dream world my house would be black and purple or white and pink (Very abnoxious) but I understand that we have to work with what we have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I know Sherwin Williams has free virtual color consultations. They also have a Color Snap tool which might help.
Benjamin Moore lets you upload photos.

All the paint and home improvement stores have pictures for inspiration and how-tos.

Also search pinterest for exterior <color>

To me paint is the fun part of home ownership- you can do what you want.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Can you paint brick outside? I guess that was kind of what was holding me back. I’m stuck with the beige orange of the brick unless I take it off. None of those tools take in to account multiple exterior types and I can’t find anything on Pinterest that really has what I’m looking for. If exterior brick can’t be painted, maybe when we re-side, I just remove the brick. It’s not really adding much tbh.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

For exterior reference

nashona
May 8, 2014

You can paint brick, but i wonder if limewashing might work better for you. Makes it whiter, so you could do your white/pink color scheme. It's also inexpensive comparatively.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ball Tazeman posted:

Can you paint brick outside? I guess that was kind of what was holding me back. I’m stuck with the beige orange of the brick unless I take it off. None of those tools take in to account multiple exterior types and I can’t find anything on Pinterest that really has what I’m looking for. If exterior brick can’t be painted, maybe when we re-side, I just remove the brick. It’s not really adding much tbh.

Purple. Do it.

My previous house had a drat similar entry area with a slightly yellower vinyl siding. For accent we used a green similar to the one above and it worked really well.

I think painted brick and I think peeling painted brick.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
As I recall, paint is bad for brick because it's a material that's intended to be permeable to moisture, and if you paint one side of it it's basically impossible for moisture to move through the brick. If you want to color it, some form of limewash is definitely the move.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Finding out that the best design tool that won’t cost me any extra money is The Sims 3

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Oh also we have a raccoon digging up the yard not sure the best way to handle that

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ball Tazeman posted:

Oh also we have a raccoon digging up the yard not sure the best way to handle that

Move.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Not exactly the most helpful advice considering I just moved here and am trying to not panic over every single thing. I’m already struggling not to hate this house and home ownership in general, so I actually would prefer if the raccoon moved.

nashona
May 8, 2014

At the bottom of this page has some tips on raccoons.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

General advice for raccoons is to get rid of food sources (garbage cans usually) so they go harass your neighbors' trash cans instead. You can do that by getting bins with tight fitting or latching lids, or by simply putting a cinderblock on top of the lid. In addition, don't put pet food outdoors and if they're getting into your garage or roof, fill or cover the openings with chicken wire. They're lazy and won't hang around if there's easier eating somewhere else.

corgski fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 31, 2021

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

corgski posted:

They're lazy and won't hang around if there's easier eating somewhere else.
:same:

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

We have a pretty “clean” yard far as foodstuffs go, so maybe they are just passing through, although we should probably put a cap on the chimney.

If they are just looking for garbage we have a house with seven kids half a block away and they always have a trash mountain in front of their garage.

On another note, now that we are vibing with the kitten and getting some serious work done, I’m feeling, dare I say it

At home.

Edit: Get a sodastream, best purchase I’ve even made. Got a brand new high end one for $20 at a garage sale. It’s amazing.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Ball Tazeman posted:

Edit: Get a sodastream, best purchase I’ve even made. Got a brand new high end one for $20 at a garage sale. It’s amazing.

well ive been enjoying the thread until this blatant pro-israel claptrap :c00lbutt:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We have both raccoons and bears and I bought these: https://store.blazerbrand.com/products/strong-strap. They easily (it's been two weeks) defeat anything that knocks the rollaway over to eat. If/when the bears get around to chewing through the bins, we'll have to upgrade to steel bins which are $$$. If you're just dealing with raccoons, though, these should work. There are disappointed little paw prints all over the top of our rollaways.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

The Saucer Hovers posted:

well ive been enjoying the thread until this blatant pro-israel claptrap :c00lbutt:

I literally had no idea where they were made, I’m just really stoked to not be spending $50 a week on la croix.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hope you, the house, and the cat are doing well

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

So it’s been a minute since I updated

Cat is very good and we are inseparable, made for each other.

We finally finished the porch after a month or more

And the city came and removed a dying tree from the front yard

Not sure what to do about this stump on the easement though…

I bought some nicer click in vinyl flooring to replace all the carpeted areas, although I forgot about the closets, so I’ll have to buy a couple more boxes. That will be a project I pick away at, starting with the hallway.

In not so great news, our bathroom drains keep clogging and a snake isn’t doing it. Tomorrow we replace the iron traps with pvc and try to diagnose a little better. The toilet is also actively leaking and I think we have to replace the wax seal. Before, we thought it was a previous leak that had sunk the floor and broken the tile (because that’s what our inspector said) but I noticed the grout getting wet around the toilet. This, well, loving blows. I was not prepared for this project to come up and I’m not looking forward to it. I would rather hire it out but, well, poor. I wouldn’t have gotten the flooring or cat had I known we had to do the bathroom stuff sooner due to active water leaks. Thus is life.

I also started getting dizzy/headaches every time the heat comes on?? I don’t know if it’s coincidence or what just because of the time of day that the heat kicks on, but I feel like poo poo every evening when the heat is going. We have gas powered baseboard radiators, so the only gas would be at the furnace downstairs. I would smell natural gas and we have a fancy CO monitor that has never gone off. Maybe I’m crazy, it worries me a bit though.

Ball Tazeman fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 26, 2021

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Just wanted to see the difference in the front of the house

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Ball Tazeman posted:

So it’s been a minute since I updated

Cat is very good and we are inseparable, made for each other.

We finally finished the porch after a month or more

And the city came and removed a dying tree from the front yard

Not sure what to do about this stump on the easement though…

I bought some nicer click in vinyl flooring to replace all the carpeted areas, although I forgot about the closets, so I’ll have to buy a couple more boxes. That will be a project I pick away at, starting with the hallway.

In not so great news, our bathroom drains keep clogging and a snake isn’t doing it. Tomorrow we replace the iron traps with pvc and try to diagnose a little better. The toilet is also actively leaking and I think we have to replace the wax seal. Before, we thought it was a previous leak that had sunk the floor and broken the tile (because that’s what our inspector said) but I noticed the grout getting wet around the toilet. This, well, loving blows. I was not prepared for this project to come up and I’m not looking forward to it. I would rather hire it out but, well, poor. I wouldn’t have gotten the flooring or cat had I known we had to do the bathroom stuff sooner due to active water leaks. Thus is life.

I also started getting dizzy/headaches every time the heat comes on?? I don’t know if it’s coincidence or what just because of the time of day that the heat kicks on, but I feel like poo poo every evening when the heat is going. We have gas powered baseboard radiators, so the only gas would be at the furnace downstairs. I would smell natural gas and we have a fancy CO monitor that has never gone off. Maybe I’m crazy, it worries me a bit though.

If all your bathroom fixtures are clogging/backing up, I'd guess it's likely a clog in your drainage line. That happened to me last year; the clog was caused by some roots outside the house and required a plumber to come out and A) clear the line, and B) install a cleanout (basically a vertical port that sticks up above ground) in the line. You may or may not have one already; if you do, it should make for a faster/easier/cheaper fix.

You're dong a good job working on the house! It can be a tiresome, demoralizing slog trying to keep up with all the little things that keep cropping up (not to mention the big things), but if it makes the place more livable for yourself, the effort is worth it.

edit: as for the stump, if the city took out the tree, hopefully they might return to grind out the stump at some point. If not, you may need to rent out a stump grinder and do it yourself. But find out what if anything the city is going to do about it first.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 26, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ball Tazeman posted:

Just wanted to see the difference in the front of the house

Huge improvements BT, great job. Good to see some Halloween ornaments out too.

Our forced air furnace has to run for a few days to get all the dust out that had accumulated in the vents over the summer. So if you have allergies, that's probably it.

I'll 2nd Meaty One on the drainlines, do you know where your drain line runs from the house to the sewer? If there is a tree nearby (within 50 ft or more) it is almost guaranteed to have roots growing into the joints. Our previous house had a maple and an ash tree between us and the main sewer, so every other year we'd just bring in the drain guy and he'd knock it out quick like. Otherwise, without fail, it would clog on a Saturday night or holiday.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

god bless i hope its not your sewer line.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Man, I love the elegance of that wall. And excellent catte!

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Nothing worth pictures today but we took care of the immediate plumbing issue. Found a massive wad of hair in the trap that was backing up the whole line. Turns out the slope of the pipes is slightly backward but it will still run until we can re-do the entire line with pvc.

Replaced the wax ring around the toilet as the previous one was completely failing. We will have to take care of all the water damage at some point, it’s all very mildewy, but the problem is at least resolved for the time being.

That hair monster smelled like what actual hell would smell like.

E: we also caught a mouse in the rafters downstairs but it caught it in such a way that the trap squeezed its guts like a toothpaste tube down the wall. A joy to clean up.

Ball Tazeman fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 26, 2021

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ball Tazeman posted:

Cheapest solution is to buy another CO detector, and put it down near the furnace (in the event that somehow your existing one is defective). You would *not* smell natural gas if you had CO leaking into the house.

If you ever have a HVAC person there, they should be able to check for CO pretty easily.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ball Tazeman posted:

Nothing worth pictures today but we took care of the immediate plumbing issue. Found a massive wad of hair in the trap that was backing up the whole line. Turns out the slope of the pipes is slightly backward but it will still run until we can re-do the entire line with pvc.

Replaced the wax ring around the toilet as the previous one was completely failing. We will have to take care of all the water damage at some point, it’s all very mildewy, but the problem is at least resolved for the time being.

That hair monster smelled like what actual hell would smell like.

E: we also caught a mouse in the rafters downstairs but it caught it in such a way that the trap squeezed its guts like a toothpaste tube down the wall. A joy to clean up.

You're getting so much better at all of this! The porch really looks good.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Wow everybody is super supportive and my stupid little thread is gold. I would like to thank being poor and having anxiety for finally creating a 5 star thread.

Unfortunately, we may have to pull the toilet up again. There is either a different leak or this wax ring isn't sealed either, the grout seems to be getting wet in the same spot again. *sigh* I just want to catch a break for a little bit.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ball Tazeman posted:

Wow everybody is super supportive and my stupid little thread is gold. I would like to thank being poor and having anxiety for finally creating a 5 star thread.

Unfortunately, we may have to pull the toilet up again. There is either a different leak or this wax ring isn't sealed either, the grout seems to be getting wet in the same spot again. *sigh* I just want to catch a break for a little bit.

If your subfloor is rotted it can cause the seal to fail. They do make repair flanges that you can install if it's not ridiculously rotted. There is also a "better than wax" seal that the Plumbing thread really likes too.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Yooper posted:

If your subfloor is rotted it can cause the seal to fail. They do make repair flanges that you can install if it's not ridiculously rotted. There is also a "better than wax" seal that the Plumbing thread really likes too.

We actually got one of those "better than wax" ones. Maybe we do have to escalate this project then...

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ball Tazeman posted:

We actually got one of those "better than wax" ones. Maybe we do have to escalate this project then...

Does your toilet have any side to side motion? It should be locked in fairly tight if the flange is in good shape. If it wobbles then that will lead to seal failure in short order.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Awesome work taking a swing at the plumbing! So glad the drain was just a ball of hair AND you guys took care of it yourselves. That's a plumber service call saved, right there.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you can see/poke the bottom of the bathroom subfloor in the basement you should be able to tell pretty easily if it is really rotten or not.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

It is and it's sinking. We have been pretty aware of it, just mostly trying to keep the issue contained until we can afford to, have time to, and are prepared to be without a shitter, to replace the subfloor and tiling.

edit: hell yeah here comes the panic attacks about the bathroom. I love this.

edit edit: Trying to be positive. My partner finally set up his new desk and the office space is looking great, he even put little makeshift cat toys everywhere to keep her out of the wires and machines.

Ball Tazeman fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 27, 2021

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

So uhhh…new job got rid of my position and fired me. Good thing I bought all this flooring right beforehand.

Before:

After:

I’m extremely depressed!!!! :sun:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

drat, I'm so sorry.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That sucks but the new floors really look great!

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
Sorry to hear that, but yes, the floors look lovely :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Your floors do look great!

I'm sorry about your job. :smith: