Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to tell from your photos, but make sure your gutters are draining as far from the house as you can get them. If they're only draining a few inches from your house, they are definitely not helping with your wet basement issues.

Look at it this way - the house has survived this long with the water, it's certainly not going to fall down anytime soon. Just mitigate any damage it can do (remove that carpet, make sure there's a dehumidifier going).

Also, if you haven't run the wire already - 12/2 is overkill for an office. 12/2 would let you run a 20amp circuit, but 14/2 is cheaper and would let you do 15amp. There's no way your computer comes anywhere close to 15amps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ball Tazeman posted:

The more I live there, the more things I see need to be fixed/were neglected. It’s especially difficult when my family and a lot of friends have some really beautiful updated houses. I’m a little embarrassed by mine.

You're in your house all the time, with nothing more entertaining. You see flaws far more then anyone else that steps in. Anyone else that comes in is going to be more interested in you then critiquing your house. Also just start poo poo-talking the previous owner (and realize it's their fault, not yours). I'm pretty sure that's the standard coping mechanism here.

We're 6 years into owning our house - and it's a radically different place then it was in the beginning. All this stuff takes time, especially now with the hosed up state of supply chains.

Your siding looks in ok condition in the few outdoor pictures you have - is there a particular problem with it? Does it just need to be pressure washed?

Same with the deck, is it actually rotting away or is it just in need of refinishing? You can rent a sander and go to town on it, and then stain/paint/polyurethane.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That looks like two panes of glass, and the build up is between the two panes? If so, that's lost it's seal, and there's not a ton you can do about it. There are some services that claim to be able to clean the inside and re-seal, but YMMV there.

It's unlikely you can pull the two panes apart to clean the inside without doing significant damage to the window.

If it's just on the surface, I'd start with some vinegar and see if that removes the scale, if so maybe that is just splashing from the sink. I swear by this stuff for glass - you can usually find it at hardware stores or auto parts stores.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

Every home I've ever owned had mice at one time or another, including the current one that we moved into in March. While we spend a few hours on keeping them out, they spend a life time getting in. Mouse traps + peanut butter are a winning combo. My most recent mouse adventure found them eating my crackers in the pantry. All it took was two nights of fresh mouse traps and we've been mouse free.

Yea, we've had mice a couple times as well. It sucks, but it's not your fault they decided to move in. We ended up using some live traps because my wife didn't want to kill them.. honestly the live traps worked better then the kill ones, we had the mice caught within 24h of putting them out, and just drove them several miles away to an open field.

The trick with homeownership is learning what sounds your house normally makes, and then investigating anything that's abnormal. We managed to find a leak in the plumbing under the concrete slab by noticing the sound of running water when it shouldn't be.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For flooring - we ended up buying from these people. It was a pretty good deal, we a big order of a discontinued style for pretty cheap. Sure, we can never buy it again, but we got a couple extra boxes just in case!

For the smell - have you tried anything like Nature's Miracle yet? From the sounds of it it's going to be very soaked in, but you might have some success if you can soak the existing carpet/padding in it.

I'd also consider treating the subfloor with it once you pull up the carpet, and also consider putting some sort of odor blocking primer on the floor before you put anything on top of it.

When we started pulling up our carpets, we just bought some cheap area rugs (there's a place near us that's sells them for cheap... they totally aren't falling off the back of a truck and the money ending up in the guys pocket....) and just lived with those until we could get the flooring in. Area rugs on bare concrete was way better then the existing carpet, and it sounds like your carpet is in significantly worse shape!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ball Tazeman posted:

I also started getting dizzy/headaches every time the heat comes on?? I don’t know if it’s coincidence or what just because of the time of day that the heat kicks on, but I feel like poo poo every evening when the heat is going. We have gas powered baseboard radiators, so the only gas would be at the furnace downstairs. I would smell natural gas and we have a fancy CO monitor that has never gone off. Maybe I’m crazy, it worries me a bit though.

Cheapest solution is to buy another CO detector, and put it down near the furnace (in the event that somehow your existing one is defective). You would *not* smell natural gas if you had CO leaking into the house.

If you ever have a HVAC person there, they should be able to check for CO pretty easily.