Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Been meaning to post in here - always love a new house thread. Definitely rooting for you.

I've lived/stayed in many a house with varmint problems, and the best way to deal with it is to mitigate as needed and otherwise not let it get to you. Varmints are a fact of life and having them doesn't reflect badly on you or mean you're bad at houses.

In the three years since we've bought our house, we've had a squirrel inside the roof of the back porch (fucker tore out a rotten section of soffit to get in), a possum in the kitchen, a possum in the basement (probably the same possum - I named him Dickweed), rabbits eating our vegetable garden, neighborhood cats making GBS threads in our vegetable garden, birds and squirrels decimating our cherry harvest (which was 1.5 cherries), and recently our indoor cats killed two mice out of the blue despite us having never seen any evidence whatsoever of mice in the house.

Agree with getting traps and baiting them with peanut butter. Also might be a good idea to grab some cheap large Tupperwares/sealable storage vessels from TJ Maxx to protect vulnerable pantry goods and give you some peace of mind about keeping your foodstuffs sanitary.

Overall your house looks wonderful - you've done a great job spiffing it up inside (lol just looking around my own crusty-rear end old house) and you've done way better settling in and making it nice than we have over a much longer period. You should feel proud and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU