Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I think you can safely prioritize
1- figure out the job situation
2- is the roof actively leaking? Can you patch bits to get a few more years before going full out?
3- is the siding repairable even if it's kind of ugly in the meantime? For now, you just need it to keep water out.
4- are the kitchen appliances currently working? Great, give them a good going over to keep them chugging along until you have the money to replace.
5- keep an eye on the basement and make regular observations to start narrowing possible causes down. Make a logbook!
6- is the deck an active safety issue? If no, it's fine. If yes, tear it out yourself and just live with no deck for a while.

Nothing has to be done perfectly and forever right now. Just shore things up so that you get some breathing room and have time to do research and plan.

Try to do something that made you want to buy a house in the first place, even if it's on a much smaller scale than you dreamed of. Like if you wanted a great garden with raised boxes and mounds of produce but it's too expensive right now, just dig up a flat garden and put some cheap starts in right now. Do like squash or something that will be a lot of payoff for little effort. It will help you get some joy out of what is nothing but anxiety and stress right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
It can get extremely Pinterest, but I am a fan of the bookcase back walls covered in contact paper- it can make an old beat up chipboard piece look clean and interesting for not much $. Bonus is that with books and stuff in front of it, most application errors are hidden!

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Show us the herbs, Ball Tazeman! I have to live vicariously through house - havers, I'm stuck with a basil and a mint in pots in front of my apartment window.