Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I like your house. Fresh paint on the trim made a huge difference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A failing roof will cause everything under it to start having problems, and a failing basement (but from what I understand of your basement, it's just wet, not failing)will make everything above it have problems, so those would be where I'd start. You can also repair/patch your roof if you have an active leak but can't afford to do the whole thing. As long as they keep working, new appliances is totally discretionary and not necessary (and they to can likely be repaired). Rotting deck is also nice to have but not a necessity as long as it isn't going to injure someone, so I'd start looking at the siding after the roof and/or basement.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Despite the name, storm windows are really mostly for in the winter to act as simplified and less effective double glazing. You don’t really need to worry about them until it gets cold! If you have horizontal hail smashing your regular window panes, you probably have bigger problems.

Baby steps is definitely how things happen in houses. That duct tape has been doing fine!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Herbs look nice!

That’s frustrating about the bathroom fan, but this is a great place to learn the useful homeowner skill of patching drywall! Someone made a really good effort post about it in the fixit fast or home zone thread recently. You could also just like, paint some cardboard white and stick in the gap to keep the insulation from falling down. E: drywall patching guide: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944478#post509075005

I don’t think the drywall or counter has moved or anything, it just looks like the caulk has shrunk which is totally normal. It doesn’t look like it was a great caulking job to begin with, so just clean off the old, put on some new and touch up the paint if you feel like it. A caulk gun and a tube or two of ALEX caulk will run you $15 maybe.

Moisture between the two panes of glass just means it has a little air leak somewhere. It’s probably isn’t insulating as well as a new, tightly sealed one, but it isn’t really doing any damage to anything. I’d put that towards the bottom of the ‘it would be nice if this happened in 3-5 years’ list. If it’s driving you crazy, I’d guess new window + install is a few hundred dollars.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ball Tazeman posted:

Nothing worth pictures today but we took care of the immediate plumbing issue. Found a massive wad of hair in the trap that was backing up the whole line. Turns out the slope of the pipes is slightly backward but it will still run until we can re-do the entire line with pvc.

Replaced the wax ring around the toilet as the previous one was completely failing. We will have to take care of all the water damage at some point, it’s all very mildewy, but the problem is at least resolved for the time being.

That hair monster smelled like what actual hell would smell like.

E: we also caught a mouse in the rafters downstairs but it caught it in such a way that the trap squeezed its guts like a toothpaste tube down the wall. A joy to clean up.

You're getting so much better at all of this! The porch really looks good.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you can see/poke the bottom of the bathroom subfloor in the basement you should be able to tell pretty easily if it is really rotten or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That sucks but the new floors really look great!