Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
She’s ridiculously popular in the UK still, among pretty much every age and class of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex_Marxist
Dec 14, 2016

I LOVE MY DEAD GAY SON
My lady friend I started hanging with is trying to convert me to Kate Bush. She has a signed record above her door to her room. Until now, I was not convinced, but then [nipplepic]. I am now a firm, perky believer in Kate Bush

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Kate Bush is an acquired taste. Some people loving hate her music... fair enough I guess. Kind of in the same vein as Bjork you need to be into somewhat weird music.

My favorite clip of Bjork https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75WFTHpOw8Y

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I have been aware of her nearly my whole life and her entire career, and it wasn’t until this thread that I realised she had an absolutely massive pair of hungorkas.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Now Bjork, that's some actual trash. At least Kate Bush's music is like, ascertainable.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Love a bit of Bush.

Wedding List is such a badass song

https://youtu.be/0ymxgS4XHRA

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I managed to escape a Kate Bush phase as a teen (but I had Siouxsie Sioux and Poly Styrene so that was fun).

However someone I had/have/it’s complicated? a crush on loved her and I figured oh what the hell and that’s how I got into Kate Bush.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Real talk though, the Wuthering Heights ending guitar solo is like basically the definition of a tasteful guitar solo

Facts

teen witch posted:

I still dream of

This is why you wake up crying

I was introduced by an ex who was most likely introduced by her mother who played Everquest and I've been obsessed ever since. The 9th Wave is a work of pure genius on its own even without all the straight up hits front loaded on to Hounds of Love.
Finally a GBS thread for a goon like me

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

AHH F/UGH posted:

Now Bjork, that's some actual trash. At least Kate Bush's music is like, ascertainable.

Bjork is perfectly fine.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I'm the ex that introduces everybody to Kate Bush

You're welcome :tipshat:

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I had my Kate Bush phase just before meeting my current partner :smug:

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

I always thought she was just a Ronnie James Dio for goths with all the theatrics but I may be off the mark there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Luna posted:

I always thought she was just a Ronnie James Dio for goths with all the theatrics but I may be off the mark there.
Is this implying Ronnie James Dio isn't for goths?

If you're looking for a reason why everyone has a Kate Bush phase, 80s English pop is prototypical of huge amounts of 90s and 00s alternative culture in sound and clothes. It's kind of how 80s-curious goths in the 90s-00s would inevitably work through the Smiths or the Cure even when their first genre of choice is clowncore industrial.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

None of these songs are about making an evil noise that kills Hugh Laurie. Let me fix that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTUcoR8_pyE

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Seriously, I rarely pay attention to lyrics but she writes songs about the weirdest/coolest stuff.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Seriously, I rarely pay attention to lyrics but she writes songs about the weirdest/coolest stuff.

Lady knows how to use not to many words to make ideas. Great imagery. Like, I may not be into her music much but you gotta respect her ability as a lyricist.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

zedprime posted:

Is this implying Ronnie James Dio isn't for goths?

If you're looking for a reason why everyone has a Kate Bush phase, 80s English pop is prototypical of huge amounts of 90s and 00s alternative culture in sound and clothes. It's kind of how 80s-curious goths in the 90s-00s would inevitably work through the Smiths or the Cure even when their first genre of choice is clowncore industrial.

Dio is goth af but he didn't really resonate with the goths I hung around. Me being a weed doing metal guy was in to him, so maybe I'm the goth? I did get into the Smiths later but that was after I drew parallels between them and The Sundays.

That said, I think the world is a better place with Kate Bush in it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Luna posted:

Dio is goth af but he didn't really resonate with the goths I hung around. Me being a weed doing metal guy was in to him, so maybe I'm the goth? I did get into the Smiths later but that was after I drew parallels between them and The Sundays.

That said, I think the world is a better place with Kate Bush in it.

It’s the earnest, epic theatricality. Bombast but make it chic as hell.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Running up That Hill's dance routine is loving enchanting. If you were like a wannabe goth in 200X you definitely heard the Within Temptation Cover of it here in rural Germany in 2004. You definitely came across Kate Bush at the latest then.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Yeah I am often tempted to do that over head chop and turn move when I'm alone.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

If you were like a wannabe goth in 200X you definitely heard the Within Temptation Cover of it here in rural Germany in 2004.

This, and the Placebo cover as well.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Luna posted:

More like a female Meatloaf and for hippies

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I think of her as music for that fairy witch niche between goth and hippie so adjacent to both.

But yeah, Meatloaf for sure

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

teen witch posted:

It’s the earnest, epic theatricality. Bombast but make it chic as hell.

This is why I love her. I'm not always into melodrama and too much theatricality, but it comes across so earnest (perfect word) and the song subjects are so strange, but you just feel them.

Schlong Connery fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 20, 2021

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Kate Bush should right a song about being my girlfriend imo

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Is this the "post pictures of people walking their pet crocodile in an underground carpark" thread? No? Whoops. Well I guess this pic still fits here due to the nice woman doing the walking.

Wuthering Heights is an awful awful book. But a good song.

My favourite Kate Bush song is Don't Give Up with Peter Gabriel. Not a particularly groovy/gothy or even weird song. But I like it, and think she sounds lovely in it.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I loving hate almost all of the covers or Running Up that Hill. The plaeco version is the loving worst one and I somewhat Iike Placebo. No one hits that same tone and urgency in it for me. Meg Meyers gets closest but still lets me down on the "come on baby, come on darling" part.

On the otherhand the Maxwell cover of Thiz Woman's Work is excellent.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
One of my great grandma's gave me a copy of Wuthering Heights the book when I was 10 and told me it was highly influential on her life since it was her favorite book. Looking back, it explained a lot about her life. Wuthering Heights the song was one I listened to a lot as as teen and still do on super rainy days for reasons.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I loving hate almost all of the covers or Running Up that Hill. The plaeco version is the loving worst one and I somewhat Iike Placebo. No one hits that same tone and urgency in it for me. Meg Meyers gets closest but still lets me down on the "come on baby, come on darling" part.

You're right, I think the song ISN'T the same without the dance, too. It's a weird ephemeral package deal, but for those five minutes, that by the way, feel way shorter for me, if you're into it, you are really into it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85wZw1O83aE

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I've never heard of her. how out of touch does that make me; and with what am i out of touch? music? movies? tv?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

BrigadierSensible posted:

My favourite Kate Bush song is Don't Give Up with Peter Gabriel. Not a particularly groovy/gothy or even weird song. But I like it, and think she sounds lovely in it.

That bass-line in the outro (Tony Levin I think) is so groovy though.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV7w5TaYjRA

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I think I almost prefer Chromatics version.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Torquemada posted:

I think I almost prefer Chromatics version.

I feel the same, and couldn't quite place why I felt that way. Listening to it now, I think it's because instead of trying to get "cute" with it, they just basically copied Kate Bush's production of the original exactly but swapped places (heh) with their own instruments and unique sound. It's like an exact copy but it's also a Chromatics song.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Running up That Hill's dance routine is loving enchanting. If you were like a wannabe goth in 200X you definitely heard the Within Temptation Cover of it here in rural Germany in 2004. You definitely came across Kate Bush at the latest then.

Theres a little bit (like seriously can't be more than 5 seconds) where shes solo dancing by just kind of jerkily repeating motions alone with her arms raised and Im like, yeah, thats the good poo poo.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

itt I learned both what kate bush and sufjan stevens look like

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Posting in this thread is RUNNING UP A HILL

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Vim Fuego posted:

I've never heard of her. how out of touch does that make me; and with what am i out of touch? music? movies? tv?

If you're over 30 and you're never heard of this "Kate Bush" character, yes you might be out of touch. I guess out of touch with late 20th century pop music specifically, but even if you don't listen to music at all I would expect you to have heard her name. She's very famous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I was only introduced to Kate Bush a few years ago but she is probably one of my favourite artists. Truly a talented being from another world who does it all because she genuinely enjoys the art of doing so. I'm so happy to see a thread about her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN1MhZxTarY