Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Also she has a song that is definitely about wanting to gently caress a yeti. No, I will not be taking any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhh1KbeKr4M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
Hounds of Love is one the best songs of all time, goddamn.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Heathcliff!
It's not me I can't pee
I go home-a
So co-o-o-old
Like a video

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
This thread is mystifying

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
How about Angra, a Metal band, covering Wuthering Heights? Singer is a dude.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrtf43qANkE

I like it much better than the original.

Also I really like her album Aerial, it‘s really something else.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Ror posted:

If you're over 30 and you're never heard of this "Kate Bush" character, yes you might be out of touch. I guess out of touch with late 20th century pop music specifically, but even if you don't listen to music at all I would expect you to have heard her name. She's very famous.

Ok. Late 20th tho? Not early 21st? My wife hadn't heard of her either, maybe it's kind of regional. I'll listen to her top tracks

Ah! Uk chart topper from 78. Kinda makes sense I could miss that

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Neco posted:

How about Angra, a Metal band, covering Wuthering Heights? Singer is a dude.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrtf43qANkE

I like it much better than the original.

Also I really like her album Aerial, it‘s really something else.

On this theme, have another Wuthering Heights cover. This time by Australian pub band Mr. Floppy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZjhMDPzlfs
It is a silly pisstake of a song. I think it is fun.
The album it is from is called "The Unbearable Lightness of Being a Dickhead", so they don't take themselves too seriously.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

The kick from inside vinyl is actually better than any other version, no hipster

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

more like running up a bill (from my isp because i am blasting KATE BUSH from the youtubes 24/7) :coolpikachu:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Here's a live version of Running Up That Hill with David Gilmour playing the synth part on guitar. But the real reason to watch is bassist's (Tony Franklin) hair. Just amazing in its 80s excessiveness in ways I never imagined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5wc1R0AQ_M

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

This thread is mystifying

Yeah usually if you want a positive thread about something you have to make an OP mocking it.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Weka posted:

Yeah usually if you want a positive thread about something you have to make an OP mocking it.

You're not legally, morally, or scientifically allowed to mock Kate Bush

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Kate Bush is excellent. Just so many cool, weird songs. And then she didn't release an album for like 12 years and then released Aerial, which was extremely good.

Violin has a ripping solo in it. Also it is a song about the violin

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I don't really know who this is but I enjoyed the nipple pic, voted 5

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
The first half of Hounds of Love is quite exquisite and accessible, I think the main videos have all been posted except for the title track, which also slays.

What is Running Up That Hill actually about? I feel like the "it doesn't hurt me" is like her explaining to a lover that sex doesn't hurt or something, or maybe her period? I dunno, I could never really figure it out.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Swapping lives with another person to understand your partner by making a deal with God. Deal with God was the working title I believe but the label was unsure if radio stations would play a title with God in it.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I took it as a war time nurse literally "seeing how deep the bullet lies" and "tearing asunder" lamenting that she can't go into battle "up that hill" herself because of gender roles.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

What is Running Up That Hill actually about? I feel like the "it doesn't hurt me" is like her explaining to a lover that sex doesn't hurt or something, or maybe her period? I dunno, I could never really figure it out.

Let Big Boi explain it:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

I love him

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Vim Fuego posted:

Ok. Late 20th tho? Not early 21st? My wife hadn't heard of her either, maybe it's kind of regional. I'll listen to her top tracks

Ah! Uk chart topper from 78. Kinda makes sense I could miss that

I was born after 1900 but I know who loving Lincoln is

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bismuth posted:

I love him

It's a depressingly short video. I could listen to this guy talk about Kate Bush pretty much indefinitely.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
It doesn't matter when or where you went to school, there was always a mousy girl whose clothes were covered in cat hair who would introduce you to this wonderful woman

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Dilkington posted:

It doesn't matter when or where you went to school, there was always a mousy girl whose clothes were covered in cat hair who would introduce you to this wonderful woman

If you were really lucky it was Big Boi

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

She has a terrible voice imo, never understood the appeal

Quoting this wrong opinion. Just amazing how wrong humans can be.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Like my yo-yo that glows in the dark, what makes it special makes it dangerous.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

staberind posted:

Like my yo-yo that glows in the dark, what makes it special makes it dangerous.

it's special because it glows in the dark but it's dangerous because it's a yo-yo that you're whipping around in the dark, i'm not sure kate is right on this one

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Kate Bush loving rules though I disregard everything from before Never for Ever. I'm so glad she took control of every aspect of her work because her poo poo is golden.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Not even the washing machine song? :(

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Isn't that from Aerial, which I'm pretty sure was made decades after NfE

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Oh I somehow read you disregarded anything after. Nevermind, carry on

The washing machine song is fun anyway :-)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I loving hate almost all of the covers or Running Up that Hill. The plaeco version is the loving worst one and I somewhat Iike Placebo. No one hits that same tone and urgency in it for me. Meg Meyers gets closest but still lets me down on the "come on baby, come on darling" part.

On the otherhand the Maxwell cover of Thiz Woman's Work is excellent.

I was actually gonna bust into this thread and say I really like the placebo version and they make it sound like a placebo song.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Rocket's Tail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yeimyOsdrA

David Gilmour on guitar.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

One of my favorite KB songs is from a movie and you just can't find the full version anywhere except in the movie itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5LbUVQvn3c

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I got into Kate Bush by listening to Pat Benatar’s version of Wuthering Heights in like 1980, it’s not a bad cover at all, but I don’t think it adds anything to the original.

https://youtu.be/MnDijNVpngA

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's about someone that signed up to run a marathon and is having second thoughts.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I listen to Running Up That Hill all the time, but I’ve never seen the video for it. Until now. That was so loving cool. She is one of the coolest people to have ever existed imo.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm not sure if this been posted here already but I highly recommend listening to this recording of her live gig from 2014

https://katebush.bandcamp.com/album/before-the-dawn-live

She's sharp as always and I look forward to some new material soon

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I only ever got into Hounds of Love. you can recommended another one if you want, just never got around to it. one cool thing that i learned relatively recently is that Kate is the person who sings" jeux sans frontier/she's so popular" in Games Without Frontiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95SWMqzM_Sg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I loving hate almost all of the covers or Running Up that Hill. The plaeco version is the loving worst one and I somewhat Iike Placebo. No one hits that same tone and urgency in it for me. Meg Meyers gets closest but still lets me down on the "come on baby, come on darling" part.

On the otherhand the Maxwell cover of Thiz Woman's Work is excellent.

I feel like the Meg Myers version is literally just trying to recreate the original in every particular; I can't point to anywhere in her cover that diverges from the script. Which means it's also great and I enjoy it, but it's like a print of the original painting and not quite as good as a result (unless someone were to inexplicably dislike Kate Bush's voice, I guess).

Also, I don't love the Chromatics cover, but I did appreciate the Twin Peaks revival introducing me to the Chromatics. Always down for more ethereal lady vocalists for my late-night highway drive playlist.