Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I have arrived, thank you for fulfilling my request, friend. Also my request for hero personality is just to choose all the flirting options regardless of gender, since the funniest scene in the entire game relies on you being able to flirt with a dude.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Psycho Knight posted:

I've been waffling on this for a while, which I'm sorry for. I think I twice gave you the impression that it was my next plan, only to ditch it. I intended to do it after Conception Plus, but I think wrangling with that weird text issue got me frustrated and I just ended up starting Sweet Fuse for no reason. To tell the truth, I'm not sure what prompted me to start this now. I wake up some days with weird projects in mind.

I will attempt to balance your request with the thread's desire for a heroic yet sometimes snarky protagonist.

Don't worry about it, I'm just happy you're doing one of my favorite games ever, and arguably my favorite gameplay ever justice. This time I'll definitely play the game with you and try to give some bonus updates for stuff you can't cover later, since I wouldnt miss this for anything. Seriously, assume I'm dead if it doesnt happen.

Also you didn't go into detail about this, but the protagonist's personality is measured in some kind of hidden point system, and if you go too far in one direction, ostensibly opposite choices get grayed out. IE be too much of a dick and you can't be nice later, or be too stoic and you can't flirt at all. Though it can be inconsistent.

Also the reason we got cash from Pamela is because any healing items you have the maximum amount of are automatically sold and converted to cash. Convenient!

I am pleased to share that there are ongoing fan translations for both 1 and 6 right now, with 6 being farther along.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Psycho Knight posted:

The dialogue choice thing hasn't happened yet, which is why I didn't mention it. Our first look at that system will happen in the next update. I'll be alternating between Sweet Fuse and this, and since I just posted a SF update today, I'll be working on GL tomorrow.

My bad.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Melomane Mallet posted:

Is it the PSP version of 1? That's the version I have and am curious. :shobon:

1 was very early, debating whether to translate the PS1 cuz it was a bit easier to access or the PSP cuz extra content. I figure it'll be a PSP patch if it reaches the end though.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 21, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The sideburns options give me life.
I adore the ye olde RPG setting of "We live in a healed post apocaylptic landscape, lets do exactly what the dudes did to get destroyed."

Oh yeah, one more thing since its relevant now. In Japan, this game had full voice acting for plot scenes, but when Atlus licensed it, they only dubbed the anime movies, and didn't license the JP voices. People online have made an Undub version that fully brings all that back, and since I last played, they've even added subititles to said anime movies. I personally got even more enjoyment out of the game with those voices, so I thought I should mention it for anyone who decides to check the game out because of this. Obviously buy the game first.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 22, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

From the very getgo I disliked using my name lol. I've thus suffered all my life at being told to name something without a Canon name. I've used Crevanille all 4 times I've played.

I personally focus on Urushihara art's plastic skin. That stuff SHINES. I love it a ton and I think it's at its best in 4, especially the new characters for PSP.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Can't blame you for rushing, its one of many games on my favorite games list where it has a long prologue to set everything up, and I do honestly dread it every time I replay. But then I replay and immediately get into the flow and its over before I know it. Just like Suikoden 5.
We just met 2 dudes evil enough to inscribe their names on my top 10 most evil names list. I used to have a really good name for the Sephiroth lookalike, but I can't for the life of me remember it. Travelin' Sephiroth will do for now.

I love how no one believes Crevanille has wings of blood, go back to hot topic kid.

Psycho Knight posted:

This is something I didn't test, but should. I highly doubt that you can completely miss it. More than likely if you don't talk to Regina then Crevanille and Remus will learn it during the brief time skip that's coming up (where they join the army).

Almost completely sure she just starts the conversation after a few steps if you dont talk to her. I've played the game 4 times and am pretty sure I did that once.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tricia is pretty much my favorite character, I love her to death and she's a big part of why the prologue is always easy to go through.
My absolute favorite RPG gameplay mechanic is equipment teaches abilities. And Growlanser 4 is one of the best in my book.
We immediately see why this is one of my favorite gameplay systems ever, if not my favorite. Strategy is HUGE, I never settle for anything less than 15 points. I don't force myself to beat Abram when I NG+ though.
THOR JOINS THE TEAM! AND HE FIGHTS LIKE ZEUS!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

marshmallow creep posted:

Vallery looks more like a character straight out of Langrisser than I was expecting.

I got an ending to Growlanser 2 and got maybe a quarter through 3. They are surprisingly deep games but I find them hard to replay. Not sure why.

So as someone who loves the entire series, I find both 2 and 3 and even 5 to be a lot less polished. They have quite a bit of jank and just don't progress as well as 4 does I feel, so 4's the only one I've replayed endlessly while I only played them through once. No clue if original 4 is the same way.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

So about Gabbing.... with the JP voice acting it means that if you stand around doing nothing, your familiar will start saying things, but uh without a dub and the removal of said voice acting of course that does nothing. In 5 atleast, you can take your Fairy to like, pokemon contests, and you'll meet a bunch of other fairies and its adorable. One of 4's few weak points in my book.

Always thought it was weird that Dixon never brought Crev home and that the game had his wife get attached to Remus rather than the literal adopted son she never met lol.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Psycho Knight posted:

There's another piece of this puzzle that people in the thread haven't noticed yet in regards to the Angels as well. Well, maybe people have noticed, but nobody has questioned it or brought it up yet.

I mean, I'm not allowed to talk about anything concerning the plot, at most I can like say Chris is one of my favorite characters in the game.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Just reviewed the dont talk about stuff policy, and realized I should tell you before you record any furlough stuff. If you plan it perfectly you can unlock every character ending in one play barring the mutually exclusive ones. There's a guide on gamefaqs and everything, and bonus, it uses the same fairy as you, which is generally the point where it falls apart if you have a different fairy and need to plan around that.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

There's no way to talk about this tactfully, but I'm gonna try. I love his art normally, like top 10 best artstyles, especially his psp remake era art with extra shine, but that all evaporates when its NSFW. I legitimately dislike it for some reason even if you ignore that, and I just question how both sides are his art. Barring that uh... thing I could have lived without knowing, I'm glad he generally keeps them separate.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Speaking of Langrisser 1&2, I love Ryou Nagi and basically consider him the modern Urushihara. They go in on different aspects, but they're the definitive two artists with a "plastic" style, and it stands out immensely. So I think he was the perfect choice to do re-imaginings of the designs. Definitely a bit less iconic though.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Love that fight, its so fun.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I prefer Vester.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 19, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My bad, knee jerk weirdness and again, I dont think in terms of things like that, edit the quote and I'll delete it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

We're getting towards the end of the prologue soon, so I was gonna start my first PPSSPP playthrough, but man PSP games are kinda weird to set the graphics for. I'm assuming youre using it too, mind sharing your setting?

Edit: Got it satisfactory once I realized there was no way the psp portraits could be stretched fullscreen and look decent, so I found the window size setting and set it to 2X, so if it's a hassle it's fine.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 21, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ludwig is probably right, Medieval War and Modern War are two extremely different concepts with very little in common at the end of the day beyond being meat grinders. Forgive my awful wording in advance since I'm not exactly an expert, but basically Medieval armies are always primarily made up of conscripts, people with minimal training mostly just there because war is a numbers game and mercenaries with minimal loyalty, so when they, the larger force lose, they uh get ROUTED, a huge portion of the army just starts fleeing and recovering from that is a difficult ask even with a backup plan, without one? Impossible. Triply so when advancing into a foreign country, much less one primarily made of snow. This world is very much medieval, though it never really addresses the standing army and conscript stuff, but the existence of Alten Schwartz implies it works the same.

My source, my favorite novel genre, War Record. Basically an entire genre dedicated to the logistics of medieval war, generally set in low fantasy worlds.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ah, we took different impressions from it, fair.
And what a gut punch it will be.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Melomane Mallet posted:

Meline and Cynthia: 12 (twins, if it wasn't obvious)

I call bullshit, but certain inconsistent rules of writing do offer a justification I can't talk about.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Yeahhhhh this game is dark as hell. Even worse for me considering the game says "-My name- will never open his eyes again". Ludwig is on the top 10 most evil names ever thanks to this game.

In good news that marks the end of the prologue, the game opens up like 5 times over as soon as Crevanille gets over being tortured for months.

I'm pretty sure all the scenes are foresight, but they just thought "hey this is foresight" got redundant after a while.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

When talking to the shop people, you typed box instead of Boss.
I... I dont think I've ever used a nectar? I don't have any memories of characters ever dying tbh. Poison is a god send though, half of the super abilities trigger at hp levels, so getting that character poisoned, run around till theyre almost dead, cure it, and then go wild with multishot till you get the next one.
I have a completely unreasonable love for ANYTHING that uses those war symbols, it excites me beyond belief somehow.
Mines and caves in this series are always confusing.
I think the mission you just did is one of the easiest ones tbh.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Wild how Japan has always had a thriving guide book industry for all the games where it matters, but the west's is completely 100% dead and we honestly never matched up.
I'd probably like Workshop Ateliers a lot more if I could use the guides in Japan.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I've never noticed it while playing, but man the Boomtown dialogue is bizarrely out of place huh...

I love Eliza's stupid outfit so much lol, I'm surprised you didn't comment on it.

I'm normally so focused on learning skills, I've never really put much thought into the actual effects of most spellstones, so its interesting seeing you comment on them.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Just remembered, there's actually a 30 minute OVA of the game. I've tried in vain for years to find it, but never have so I have no clue what it covers.

Now that I typed that up, I actually found it on an anime site and I thank this LP even more for existing.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Psycho Knight posted:

I don't recall the exact details of Chris/Alphonse's plotline, but I can say that Chris is definitely more capable than his laid-back attitude would suggest. It's not really a spoiler, because he just joined us as a guest party member, but at the very start of the next update we'll see that his stats are far above our characters' at this stage of the game.

Yeah, I watched that long ago. I believe it was a promotional tie-in for the release of Wayfarer of Time - Return.

I probably won't be covering it in this LP like I did with the Conception PLUS Anime, because overall it's just okay. It's a lot of shady conversations, geopolitics, and characters being introspective.

I believe it's also set after the events of the game, so there's spoilers to worry about. If I did cover it, I would have to make it the final update of this LP (assuming I don't do the alternate route).

Good to know, I'll save it for after then since youre rushing through this.

The Valkanian Royal Guard(and Chris) are all amazing characters, Between the 4 of them they actually do some tropes I don't like much well.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I can confirm that everything wrong in Growlanser is caused by sci-fi body suits. Power hungry dictators, Sun going out, angels and demons, endless armies of slug monsters, all sci-fi body suits.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Psycho Knight posted:

D-RM: The “petite and ditsy” one.

D-YN: The “calm and collected” one.

D-PT: The peppy and talkative one.

Since PK's doing this by my request in the first place, I plan to help him show off the game a bit, though my updates will be of severely less quality.
First and biggest change would be what fairy I get, so I'll let you guys choose that.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm getting antsy about wanting to play, so I think I'll call it with PT.
PT'd be my vote anyway since I haven't seen her since my first playthrough a decade ago and I've done one with all 4 fairies.

EDIT: drat I GOT THE WEIRD VISUAL EFFECT TOO.
Someone on a forum said using PPSSPP 9.7 makes it work correctly if you're interested in testing that.

Double Edit: Tested it, works, but you probably have to commit to using it since you cant trade save states.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 2, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I love the scifi cityscape, its so stupid lol.
"Yeah just put Kami's lookout everywhere"

Psycho Knight posted:

Take me there, please. Winter is definitely more my season. Sure, you’ll hear me curse up a storm as I stand around trying to shovel 10 inches of snow off my car in the morning to get to school, but I’d much rather be curled up under a blanket after a cold day than sweating my balls off all day and all night.

Opposite lol, the heat makes you a bit uncomfortable sure, but the cold is straight up out to kill you.

Psycho Knight posted:

these… sentient sex toys? I don’t even know. They are gross and I hate them. They are absurdly resistant to physical attacks and also recover 15 HP at regular intervals. Pretty much the only way you can kill them is by hitting them with Ice magic. They straight up absorb Wind and Fire, while having very high resistance to Earth, Mind, Holy, and Lightning.

It's weird exactly how many RPG and fantasy monsters you can apply that description to. Compile Heart even made a game where every single monster applies... Its one of their best games somehow..

Cool thing about Skill Scrolls that technically means you wasted it, you can teach skills characters can't normally learn through them. Remus can't get thievery normally, but you can use that scroll on him.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Psycho Knight posted:

Technically wasted, but realistically not. There's no guarantee that Remus won't get benched once we pick up more party members. If I taught it to him, there's a (albeit slim) chance he gets kicked out of the battle party soon and then I'm stuck without steal for a while.

I like to use everyone lol. But yeah Remus is basically my least favorite party member despite him honestly being overpowered with that bow.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

As long as you commit to finishing one of the mutually exclusive paths I'll try to pick up the slack with bonus updates to let this be archived as complete as possible.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 8, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

More fun stories about that weird filter for foresight scenes. I've been using the heck out of save states to see all the dialogue variations I can, and it uses my last save state for the background, and that poo poo gets BURNED into the screen, it's several times more invasive than the bedrooms. I just had the genius idea to save and then turn PPSSPP off, and what do you know, the foresight scene was completely normal after while using the latest version of PPSSPP. Helpful since the majority of them take place next to save points.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I think the game gets a lot better around now tbh, getting the base and building your team and hanging out with them is a ton of fun. Also Super Hitler isn't your boss anymore and you get to devote the rest of the game to sticking it to him. I adore the game and the overly long prologue since it makes everything that follows better, but man that's my 5th time going through that, and it took me 15* hours to get a full party. This time around I've cemented my opinion that I wish the game was a 2011 original since I think not having to be kind of wishy washy with the additional characters would have definitely improved the game with letting Tricia and maybe Magnus be on your team as previews like Vallery.

*Voice Acting, PPSSPP idling, and liberal use of turbo definitely messed with my playtime compared to PK.

On a related note to friends, I have learned that if you play as a full on rear end in a top hat, you can actually tank below the default "same as all the others" friendship rating. Frayne hates Crev now. I legit thought your choices meant nothing in regards to that and only their bonding events effected it.

Same on anime weirdness, I'm basically desensitized to all things anime weird, and just let my sense of humor guide me. Also games made in the west like Dragon Age do that as long as youre not fixated on the pervy creep angle.

Edit: Now that I've finally read the update I can comment on it. In the Trockmere Catastrophe, theres a point where the screen cuts to black and Magnus is lost in the water and a person grabs him. That scene is voiced acted, so Pamela being alive is confirmed so much earlier. KICKING CARGILL'S rear end GIVES ME LIFE!

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 11, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Welcome to Growlanser 4, where a ginger and his ragtag group of anime take over an entire continent for the country that can't fight it's way out of a paper bag because the other 2 countries on it are headed by douchebags.

I completely forgot you could rename the town, the game literally treats Crevanille like Jesus, so why not Nazareth?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

At least its not the ye olde days of 5 character limits when like 80% of people have 6 letter names.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I've never sacrificed Yuni or Raimy once...

Edit: Also wasn't aware the fate system wasnt even remotely in the original, what the gently caress PS2 Growlanser 4.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 13, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The familiar one's the big one that justifies the entire system so it might as well not have tbh.

Not sure if you ever mentioned it, but when you get a skill to level 1, you get a very very minor amount of skill exp even when you dont have the right stone on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Yeah its definitely measured in small decimals I think. Its a fun little detail though that slightly incentivizes getting everything to 1 asap rather than mastering most skills though.

Edit: Had a hell of a time trying to get Cargill to talk to Crev, learned it it only happens when he attacks him, so I assume you can use Decoy to force it.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 13, 2021