Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
something creative and ideally multidisciplinary (like rodtronics), but also it's something people want you to make (unlike rodtronics) and something people are happy to pay me for (the absolutely antithesis of rodtronics)

one thing that always sucks about work is that for most jobs people don't want to give you money. your boss would rather you worked for free and in my line of work currently also people that come in don't want to spend money on drugs.

but imagine some artists who do commissions from happy customers.. they have people that want to give them money... I want to know what thats like :qq: imagine you're a great photographer and sexy men come to you and say "can I please give you mone so you can take photo of me??" and maybe even a woman ask

also imagine working on the creative team of some big music festival or band, putting together the stage show. making decisions. giving people an amazing experience. this would be the best

being a youtuber like mark rober

be jimi hendrix?

so many people have great jobs and I am sure all of them are harder than they look, but its possible to work a job where you can be creative, solve problems, have people give you money without resent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hell, the money raking owner

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dream job is lead product designer at energy drink company

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“it’s not extreme enough” I yell as I kick the interns chair over after he shows me a mock-up of their latest idea.

“I said I wanted dennis rodman as a spokesman not dennis quaid”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

we have this dude called james hamilton who lives on a boat and is a total badass engineer and seems to just focus on poo poo he likes.

here he is going jonny290 about batteries and poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hC490NTIJM&t=134s

here he is jazzing about ARM from his boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNqRvP6Xvrw

here he is talking about big networks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj7Ting6Ckk

he looks like nick nolte

or that dude whos the poor mans nick nolte

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yeah lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but he is a poor mans nick nolte isnt he

its like if you wanted the dwayne johnsone to star in your next film but you could only afford sinbad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I did a photo shoot on the weekend which is the first step toward my dream job which is taking photos of people

well it’s a part of my dream job, which also includes busking and graphic design

I’m not good at anything though that’s the problem.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dream job is doing something that I give a poo poo about

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

no dont it's a trap

turns out giving most of my life to something I don’t give a poo poo about has left me feeling very poo poo about existence

there’s a lot of things I love in life, but barely being able to touch them because I spend the rest of my time doing (or recovering from) something I increasingly hate is really bogus

some people might be able to do the grind and get pissed on the weekend. I think my brain just works too hard to deal with that, I don’t need after work solutions to my problems I need during work solutions aka a job I give a poo poo about

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

echi you don’t want to be a graphic designer your skin is too thin trust me on this 70% of the job is getting treated like poo poo by your clients and you need to be able to hang with that

probably true. plus I recognise that my talents are extremely superficial

Achmed Jones posted:

oh nothing specific, it's just that every time i do something i love for money it rather quickly becomes just a job. happened with hacker poo poo, happened with teaching. didn't happen quite as much or as quickly with the research side of my discipline but it was still palpably occurring.

hey this sounds better than starting with something you don’t like and then it getting worse. at least for a small amount of time you got paid to do something you like and are good at . that’s got to count for something in this life

The Management posted:

I have a boring job that pays too much for me to quit and do what interests me. doing the next best thing and just accepting that it’s all garbage and I don’t really care about any of it, and working on things that interest me when it gets too annoying.

I’m trying this but my brain is relentless in making me miserable at work. I won’t go into details but it’s disturbing

maybe I should be a truck driver

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

my dream job would be doing anything that i thought actually contributed to making the world or my community better. instead of now, where my job is helping to make the world very slightly worse

I mostly supply drugs to boomers to keep them alive longer

I think my job very certainly makes the world much much worse

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

echi your job is literally essential and directly helps people, my job (programming computer) is actually worthless

i’m hosed then lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think the problem is that it’s not intellectually stimulating at all. no problem solving, except pain the rear end problems (and these are more problems related to being a manager not a pharmacist).

the primary job itself isn’t about creativity on any level, just executing best practices

it’s poo poo lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
work so quiet yesterday
so quiet today

this pharmacy is a sinking ship. the big overseas discounters have ruined us

we’re going to merge with our other pharmacy when the new building is ready to go. I suppose it’s just a matter of bridging the gap

I’ve always got work to do, but the technicians run of work and there is stuff they could do that would help me but they don’t want to, so it still ends up as my problem even though they have the time to do it.

I hate being a manager. I’m a terrible manager because I never want anyone to feel bad or dislike me so if I ask them to do something and they do don’t it, I don’t ask again and make them do it I just accept it’s now my job.

I also get sick of taking on their mistakes. Sure I’m the manager and overall responsible, but if the mistake was clearly all theirs i’ll say “we didn’t do this correctly”, when it’s clearly not “we” but “you”.

I should have gotten a pay rise to be manager. I haven’t had a pay rise in forever and it’s not on the horizon. This is such a waste of the only life I have 😞

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you ever wish you were a person who didn’t give a poo poo? who just used the world and didn’t care what others thought.

actually get ahead in life because prepared to push past others

etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fyad is like smelling farts and trying to guess what the person ate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god rolled the dice and up came "pathetic"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that still sounds more appealing than the same but just a boring job

maybe it’s about people. sometimes when i’m working with fun people I actually look forward to work. but not work, being at work with those people

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I also reckon drinking on the job probably makes the day better and is a sign you work for cool people.

in my contract it says I can’t drink or be on drugs in the dispensary without the permission of the boss. drat if I owned my own pharmacy there would be a bar at the back

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

it's definitely about people. doing stupid poo poo with people you like actually kinda rules. that's the big thing i really miss from oldjob

I often work with only a couple people at a time tops (and often just two of us) and a LOT of middle aged women, and never any dudes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the woman i work with most and spend more time with than anyone in my life parks in the disabled car park and gets so pissed off when the legit disabled person calls to ask her to move her car.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
once her window got smashed while parked on the street so she just decided she’d park in the car park behind the pharmacy. there isn’t a car park for her, most are set aside for other businesses . so she parks in the disabled car park

and then when the lady says please don’t do that she tells people the story as if other people are going to sympathise with the person parking in the disabled park when perfectly abled

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m
getting so pissed off right now thinking about it and all the other odd things she thinks are unreasonable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jesus lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004