Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I’m so happy Eddie Kingston is a title contender on TV. Go kill the Bucks King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
eddie stealing the shoes with a shiteating grin was amazing

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

one time some dudes came to my garage sale and pretended to be interested in a pc monitor. one of them was asking to check if it worked while the other one stole a pair of shoes i had in the back of the garage. they were beat up 5 year old generic nikes that were like $40 new. that's it

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Calling it now Darby will be about to win the rematch with Miro and Jesus Christ is gonna run in for the save

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

it looks good

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

title faceplate should not be smaller than an actual face, sti;ll

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Did anybody successfully see AEW Revolution in theaters? I see they are doing Double or Nothing at Cinemark theaters but the Cinemark website says it isn’t playing anywhere near Pittsburgh which I find hard to believe.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I’m so happy Eddie Kingston is a title contender on TV. Go kill the Bucks King.

The Bucks are gonna put him out to pasture. That training job in NXT is still waiting though :smug:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Cavauro posted:

title faceplate should not be smaller than an actual face, sti;ll

What if you could remove the faceplate and wear it like a cool mask. Might be fun

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
why would you all give me such a terrible idea

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

The Lore of the D M D

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Penguin Patrol posted:

why would you all give me such a terrible idea

Twin Peaks: The Return ruled

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Just came in to say max castor is good

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Just came in to say max castor is good

I wish there wasn't a really lame grade school level gay joke in every one of his raps.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Twin Peaks: The Return ruled

One one nine. One one nine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Eddie Kingston as Ricky Morton is definitely something I needed in my life. Using the X version of “Wild Thing” is also a huge improvement. Wonder if that’s what Moxley had asked for and if somebody goofed last week. Would explain a couple things.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

harperdc posted:

Eddie Kingston as Ricky Morton is definitely something I needed in my life. Using the X version of “Wild Thing” is also a huge improvement. Wonder if that’s what Moxley had asked for and if somebody goofed last week. Would explain a couple things.
He looked pissed when the panflute solo kicked in last week so I'm willing to bet he immediately demanded the X version.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I am saddened that we did not see Statlander boop Omega’s or Callis’ noses.

Edit: whenever I hear the X version of Wild Thing, I am reminded of Major League. Probably was part of the point for Moxley to want it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 20, 2021

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHISwyv-Qn8&t=53s

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlQdPbvojls

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

aew should have a takeover attempt by a stable that becomes a company, ripping off the nwo, but actually go through with having the two companies. New Elite Wrestling can have rampage. it would be a cutting edge experiment in splitting the brand and having them compete with each other even though it's actually the same company in reality

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

El Generico posted:

I wish there wasn't a really lame grade school level gay joke in every one of his raps.

Hi, long-time lurker of wrestling discussion on SA here. I guess I finally bothered to join in because this has been bugging me for months; I get saying the Acclaimed can occasionally be misogynistic (i.e. the period jokes), but what are these homophobic jokes people keep talking about? (admittedly I haven't seen this episode and some of the Dark shows, but I think I follow AEW close enough to have noticed it if Max were doing gay jokes with every appearance)

I feel like this whole thing started with some people misconstruing the incest joke Max made about the Bucks' book cover (the same joke Bucks made themselves on BTE) for a gay joke, and the idea of them being a homophobic tag team has stuck with some fans ever since.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sorry dude i just love it

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 20, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
AEW to TBS seems like a pretty solid move. Can't see the downside for anyone.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think today he said Mox and Eddie exchange Valentine's gifts?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

They've overjuiced the crowd a bit here.

1) Christian Cage vs Matt Sydal. Good pairing, but pretty vanilla. Nice chain wrestling to start. Nice to see some viciousness from Christian. NICE through-rope dropkick. This is a very competent, very enjoyable match, but nothing pyrotechnic. I don't mind Christian building up matches like this to regain some of the steam he's lost since Revolution.

Wait, Ricky Starks? Doesn't he have a busted neck? Ah, ok, distraction and beating. And then Adam Page! There's 3 ages in the ring! Where's All Ego? Oh drat, the sequence here between Page and Cage is absolutely electric.

Varsity Blonds promo, it's pretty good, but a bit vanilla. They have Julia with them, which I like. Namechecked and officially a Varsity Blond. Cool

Great Mox and Kingston promo. Great Acclaimed promo.

2) Mox and Kingston vs The Acclaimed. OK, so Wild Thing wasn't a one time thing. Max goes for a cheap homophobic line again, which is a shame because the rest of it was very good. Nice beating to start. Nice match in general to start. Obviously Mox and Kingston are great at what they do, but the Acclaimed are quietly one of the best teams in the biz. It feels like the two objectives in this match were for Mox and Kingston to deliver a horrific beating and for the Acclaimed to establish that they richly deserve it. Both teams did well. Nice multidirectional interception chain. Wheelbarrow Death Rider is great. Oh, and AEW needs to switch to calling Mox's move the Death Rider.

Jericho just hanging out with Dean Malenko backstage is nice.

Sky and Page in-ring interview, Sky is technically fine on the mic but uninspiring. Page is good though. Then Sting and Allin attack, then Dark Order come out. All very clustery but perfectly fine.

The Pinnacle in a restaurant. LONG silence while Wardlow skulls a bottle of wine. I liked this, totally different energy to Inner Circle promos.

3) Hikaru Shida vs Rebel. So, less a match and more a beating, which is entirely appropriate. Shida dons a glove to do a lockjaw of her own, Rebel gets a crutch shot, Rebel kind of manages a suplex but isn't really a wrestler. Shida doing a stretch muffler at the end was great, and then we get the Britt Beating, which is what we were here for.

Kenny and Don cornering Cassidy backstage last week. Stat getting in Kenny's face makes me really wish AEW did intergender matches. Don trying to strongarm Orange into withdrawing from the match, Orange just slowly tearing up the paper. Good stuff. The "What went wrong with that powerbomb? Nothing." line was great.

Inner Circle out. I can no longer hear the crowd Judas singalong without hearing "Off camera is a gun. Held by Tony Khan." from the end of Botchamania. https://youtu.be/A6YcOACftUY?t=1224

Ortiz is great, Sammy is great. Jake Hager is Jake Hager. Jericho does a decent promo but revisits the cage spot which just reminds people of the spot looking silly.

Jade being interviewed, Smart Mark comes in and makes a pretty good case for himself as manager honestly.

4) Red Velvet vs Serena Deeb. This is really good. Lots of hard hitting stuff from Velvet, who I feel has been doing extra classes with Dustin on laying her poo poo in. Serena does the salty seasoned veteran thing so well. When she's in charge she is dominating, just strutting over Velvet. Which is good because Velvet is at her best fighting from underneath. I like the story of Serena trying to wear Velvet out and ground her. Nice apron moonsault from Velvet, didn't connect as well as it could have but good looking. A later top rope moonsault looked even better until Serena brought her knees up, as did the high powerbomb that followed it. These are just two people who look really good wrestling each other. Really enjoyed Velvet selling in the knee hold. Deeb is VICIOUS here. Wow, this was a hell of a match

PAC is interviewed in full goblin mode. What fool bets against the bastard now?

5) Anthony Ogogo vs Austin Gunn. No Billy? Interesting. Cody draped in a flag, Sure, whatever. gently caress, Ogogo looks amazing. If he can wrestle as good as he walks to the ring, he's going to be great. I love that he brings up his fists as a guard. And I loved the gut punch just DERAILING Austin Gunn. Jesus, Gunn is bleeding so hard it makes it look like Ogogo is. Great visual. And the the midair right hook was superb. I like the gimmick that he's not going to pin you, he's going to beat you until pinning you isn't necessary. The one touch I wanted, if they're going to do the dumb flag bullshit, was Ogogo wiping Austin Gunn's blood on the flag. Otherwise, great short heat match.

Daniels and Kaz interviewed. Daniels just shakes Kaz's hand and leaves. We may be getting a serious maverick Kaz run here. That would be great.

Sammy out to do picture in picture cards. Cool.

Miro comes out to thank Jesus Christ. I think Jesus Christ should be a bit scared. Miro is just so intense. TNT defense on Friday Night Dynamite? Cool. Lance out and fired up. Holy poo poo, these guys are dropping BOMBS in this promo. I want to see these guys absolutely mutilate each other. Give it to me.

Miro v Dante Martin next week? Ahahahahahaha yes.

The rest of next week's card looks very... eh. Like, nothing at all bad, but lots of stuff that could be a Dark Elevation main event.

6) Varsity Blonds vs Young Bucks. Blonds out with Julia, looking great I love this presentation. Bucks entrance is absolute silly bullshit. Honestly? Blonds look GREAT in there. While the Bucks get and keep control, the Blonds have solid heroic offense and look really good delivering it. Heel Bucks are incredibly good fun. Just smug and arrogant and all around lovely. A pure face team like the Blonds are great foils because every time they get ahead they look amazing and then the lovely heels shut them down. Griff Garrison is astounding He's like a Von Erich without the short life expectancy. Pillman Jr has stepped his game up, too. Maybe it's just that MLW makes him look dull because it's a dull promotion, but he has so much life here. This is a great match. Nice Julia spot, several really beautifully done hope spots. We got the inevitable result but this was really good.

And Mox and Eddie stealing shoes after the bell. OK, fun.

Good show, but kind of a procedural one?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I get saying the Acclaimed can occasionally be misogynistic (i.e. the period jokes), but what are these homophobic jokes people keep talking about?

This week: "These two guys exchange Valentine's gifts"

The joke is that they love each other, and that would be gay

Although personally I'm not complaining about it being homophobic, I'm complaining about it being cringe

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sick of the acclaimed Always getting these trumped up charges

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Was a good show this past evening.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 20, 2021

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

El Generico posted:

This week: "These two guys exchange Valentine's gifts"

The joke is that they love each other, and that would be gay

Although personally I'm not complaining about it being homophobic, I'm complaining about it being cringe

Okay, I can actually see how that is homophobic. Though that line coming from a tag team made of two queer dudes, could it just be read as these two tough guys aren't that tough because they buy each other gifts?

Or maybe I just wasted 10 bucks on an account to defend and make excuses for Max Caster.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

welcome to the forum. hopefully you don't find it a waste in time. there's no divorcing that stigma from what was said; the concept of two men caring for one another being a sign of weakness, disgrace, or inferiority. whether it's play-acting or a real belief (and we're all aware it's not max's real belief), the net result isn't so hot in terms of what goes out into the world when it's performed on tv. However, those boys are probably doing their best and i wouldn't be surprised if a dialogue about it could happen between max and anyone impassioned but respectful enough about who max caster is to not get blocked or ignored for coming across as unsuitable for meaningful conversation. To be clear what i'm saying is he's pure evil's favorite daddy, S-A-T-A-N

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Afaik Max hasn't explicitly said he's queer? (He's def giving that vibe though) Anyway, buncha thoughts

- Mox and Eddie aren't beating the Bucks cause that rub is def going to Jungle Boy

- Dante Martin is gonna get straight up murdered next week :stonklol:

- Julia is such a great fit for the Blonds, she really solidifies their young blue chipper babyface vibe in a way that doesn't feel forced

- I'm really digging Serena as an angry pissed off vet, I also really liked Tony calling her a young woman cause you know in WWE they'd be calling an old hag for being over 30

- Also really digging the idea of Kazarian in the background coming for the Elite while they're focused on other feuds

- Anthony Ogogo :worship::worship::worship:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

El Generico posted:

I'm complaining about it being cringe

Everything I've seen of Max Caster performing this character outside of the raps makes me think that Platinum Max is supposed to be pretty cringe.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Rarity posted:

Afaik Max hasn't explicitly said he's queer? (He's def giving that vibe though)

Yeah, I know, my bad. I usually don't assume other people's sexuality or identity but the A Matter of Pride video suggests he's part of the community—the prospect of one of the best up-and-coming tag teams in AEW being both queer got me a little too excited, I guess.

Sorry if I derailed an AEW thread to yet another Acclaimed "Do they suck or nah" discourse, lol.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

El Generico posted:

For the record this (and the misogynistic poo poo) is like 95% of why I hate him and why I called him off-brand Thuganomics Cena.

Rarity posted:

Afaik Max hasn't explicitly said he's queer? (He's def giving that vibe though) Anyway, buncha thoughts

Okay, but like, I hate this being an excuse. Speaking as a man with Cerebral Palsy, if Greg Iron (who's a loving boss, btw, unless there's some bad poo poo about the guy I don't know about) was constantly going around calling people the r-slur or a cripple or something (cripple is probably a better example tbh even though it doesn't make sense as an insult unless he was talking to another disabled person because frankly the r-slur probably shouldn't be reclaimed but some people do so with cripple and hell, let them as far as I'm concerned but it's the best example I can think of and you get what I mean and if you don't you're probably being obtuse) I'd hate that poo poo too. It's lazy poo poo that, if he's honestly talented, should be beneath him, at least to the extent that he doesn't need to lean on it every single week to get heat.

It's the wrestling promo equivalent of a standup comedian doing like, hack-y, Carlos Mencia type poo poo or something.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 20, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

More than anything else, it just feels cheap. Like, Max can clearly rap, he seems to be pretty good at freestyling, I'd like to see him take it as a challenge to avoid the hacky 2002 8 Mile material in favour of stuff that is either memorably weird or has genuine bite. The rest of his verse was good, and the All Talk video was absolutely stellar, so I know he can do better.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Max Caster said cuck once so he's basically Donald Trump

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lamuella posted:

More than anything else, it just feels cheap. Like, Max can clearly rap, he seems to be pretty good at freestyling, I'd like to see him take it as a challenge to avoid the hacky 2002 8 Mile material in favour of stuff that is either memorably weird or has genuine bite. The rest of his verse was good, and the All Talk video was absolutely stellar, so I know he can do better.

That's basically my thought as well. It feels like lovely cheap heat.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Anthony Bowens should get more promo time, his bit this week was good and I love it when he puts a wholesome spin on Caster's crass comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Lamuella posted:

Agree. Overtly misogynistic or homophobic rap is such a crutch of edginess that reeks of Early Aughts Doldrums. Anyone with real ability just doesn't need to indulge in it, and shouldn't because it makes them look like a cringey hack.