Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

man I hope he cleared that with NJPW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ya wwe definitely doesnt care lol :dafuq:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

this owns lol

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

after the ratings came out for the first head-to-head between dynamite and nxt, wwe sent out a sad business tweet saying they would win the long-term ratings. that was the first interaction between the companies. the second interaction between the companies was vince mcmahon sending Sami Zayn out on his flagship show to say "Do you want me to talk about AEW?" to a mostly confused crowd

tony khan is not only cutting funny dumb wrestling promos but not even taking up time on his actual show to do it the way bischoff would have

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

yea ok posted:

Of course they care as much as any large business would care about its competitors. But if you think anyone from the loving C-suite of WWE would ever pull something like this video you're out of your mind.

Its things like this video that give away the game a bit with AEW in that they thrive on the idea of a war with WWE.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
:laffo:

And they say kayfabe is dead.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
it’s pretty clearly just Tony khan loving around and having fun ffs

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I liked it? The Khans are definitely talking to each other, I can't see Tony taking those jabs otherwise. TK seems to understand how a rising tide works and I'm into it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope he cuts the same promo to open dynamite , not even joking

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Le Saboteur posted:

Of course they care as much as any large business would care about its competitors. But if you think anyone from the loving C-suite of WWE would ever pull something like this video you're out of your mind.

Its things like this video that give away the game a bit with AEW in that they thrive on the idea of a war with WWE.

they literally debuted a fake tony khan on nxt to be a parody shithead

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Le Saboteur posted:

TK working the marks like a pro

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Seams posted:

it’s pretty clearly just Tony khan loving around and having fun ffs

It's literally just his Impact Paid Ad character. And people are going WOW HE LOOKS SO SHOOK. It's loving awesome.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

flatluigi posted:

they literally debuted a fake tony khan on nxt to be a parody shithead

Who is fake Tony Khan on NXT?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Roger Stone

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

given how the history of wrestling has worked, TK might regret that tweet in 5 years time. But if he really pulls off a long running sustainable company, with or without WWE in the environment, the more power to him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

get a load of this guy

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

yea ok posted:

The screencap is from a scene in which a titan in his profession sees the legitimately outstanding work of a young peer in the same field, and he has a crisis of confidence as he realizes there are young, hungry people who are just as good as he was, that he's been coasting for years and that age and atrophy may now leave him unable to perform at the same level even when he tries to "turn it on." After receiving a righteous dressing-down from the upstart who calls him out as a scared, toxic figure, Don Draper masks his insecurity — and inferiority? — by leveraging the one thing he has left, his status, lying about the jealousy and uncertainty that has consumed him for some time.

SO yeah it doesn't apply to AEW/WWE in any way

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

youve inadvertently described literally the entire problem with wwe, lmao

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Nacho Man and the Huckster.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I swear people in AEW can't just poke fun and have a good time without folks coming out to be party poopers.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

Who is fake Tony Khan on NXT?

that stone guy that shotzi ran over with her tank

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cavauro posted:

after the ratings came out for the first head-to-head between dynamite and nxt, wwe sent out a sad business tweet saying they would win the long-term ratings. that was the first interaction between the companies. the second interaction between the companies was vince mcmahon sending Sami Zayn out on his flagship show to say "Do you want me to talk about AEW?" to a mostly confused crowd

tony khan is not only cutting funny dumb wrestling promos but not even taking up time on his actual show to do it the way bischoff would have

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

xbilkis posted:

The screencap is from a scene in which a titan in his profession sees the legitimately outstanding work of a young peer in the same field, and he has a crisis of confidence as he realizes there are young, hungry people who are just as good as he was, that he's been coasting for years and that age and atrophy may now leave him unable to perform at the same level even when he tries to "turn it on." After receiving a righteous dressing-down from the upstart who calls him out as a scared, toxic figure, Don Draper masks his insecurity — and inferiority? — by leveraging the one thing he has left, his status, lying about the jealousy and uncertainty that has consumed him for some time.

SO yeah it doesn't apply to AEW/WWE in any way

See, whenever I see that image as a meme, the "I don't think about you" bit is being used unironically, but given that it's Mad Men and everything I know about that show indicates Don Draper is an insecure, deeply troubled headcase, I always wondered if that was actually the case.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

boxcarhobo posted:

that stone guy that shotzi ran over with her tank

Oh I guess so, I never made that connection.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

lmao, this is fantastic

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cavauro posted:

The first interaction was HHH calling AEW a 'pissant company' during the DX Hall of Fame induction, wasn't it?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

coconono posted:

Yeah, you don't want to be treating them like a pawn in your dick-waving contest, a dick pawn if you will, even if it is kayfabe.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

The funniest thing in the replies to that tweet are the Fulham FC fans that are mad at him.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Who gives a poo poo what the C-suite execs in Stamford would or wouldn’t do? There’s no behavior that’s beneath the respectability of a wrestling promoter, and even if there was this ain’t even close.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Tony Khan vs Nick Khan vs Great O-Khan in a winner gets the right to the Khan name match

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

But if you think anyone from the loving C-suite of WWE would ever pull something like this video you're out of your mind.

Of course they wouldn't because none of them care about pro wrestling or understand how it works.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I wish the AEW execs could act a little more professional like WWE’s

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Who gives a poo poo what the C-suite execs in Stamford would or wouldn’t do? There’s no behavior that’s beneath the respectability of a wrestling promoter, and even if there was this ain’t even close.

wrestling is about talking lots of poo poo and getting people all riled up about it, from your local jobber to the owner of the whole deal

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I wish the AEW execs could act a little more professional like WWE’s

Their refs too

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Le Saboteur posted:

The funniest thing in the replies to that tweet are the Fulham FC fans that are mad at him.

Did they finally get relegated? rip.

coconono posted:

I really doubt they're gonna care. NJPW guys were having fun with the story all day. I really think everybody on the inside is just having a larf about this blowing up into such a big story because from their perspective, it's probably all old news.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Nick Khan seems all business, it will be hilarious to see him swept up in carny behavior.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think it's fun when the thing i like talks trash on the thing i don't like

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought the tweet was funny but felt it was a historic tweet so its gonna get analyzed to death.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Le Saboteur posted:

It still boggles my mind that he has that job lol. I cannot imagine how mad I would be if my lovely sports team was being run by a failson wrestling obsessive who probably spends more time booking matches on YouTube shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

MJeff posted:

Did they finally get relegated? rip.
I really doubt they're gonna care. NJPW guys were having fun with the story all day. I really think everybody on the inside is just having a larf about this blowing up into such a big story because from their perspective, it's probably all old news.

Yeah Fulham got relegated. Honestly, the only thing that really makes me worried for the future of AEW is how poorly the Khans managed their actual professional sports teams.