Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just caught up on Dynamite and the sheer glee on Eddie's face after he stole the socks as well and stuffed them in his pockets was a goddamn beautiful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

he should rap more like deltron3030 or aesop rock imo

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

Max Caster said cuck once so he's basically Donald Trump

Now imagining Donald Trump saying "Favourite sex position? I don't have one. I'm a virgin."

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

yea ok posted:

he should rap more like deltron3030 or aesop rock imo

sneaky plan to get Keith Lee signed to AEW

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

ThePariah posted:

his bit this week was good and I love it when he puts a wholesome spin on Caster's crass comments.

Watching Dynamite now as I type this but yeh, agreed. I was more taken aback that Caster ended the verse with plain ol' misogyny than the Valentine's gift line (maybe because that's been spoiled to me) but Bowens' bit made it worth it. And the AEBLeurgh, lol.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dynamite was great this week. Serena vs Velvet was so goddamn good and I love that Serena is leaning into being a vicious master of grapplefuckery now.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

If you missed it, on Dark (or was it Elevation) when The Acclaimed won max was all ready to hand-kiss and Bowens immediately came over and poured hand sanitizer on the dead opponent's hands, you gotta stay safe man

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lamuella posted:

More than anything else, it just feels cheap. Like, Max can clearly rap, he seems to be pretty good at freestyling, I'd like to see him take it as a challenge to avoid the hacky 2002 8 Mile material in favour of stuff that is either memorably weird or has genuine bite. The rest of his verse was good, and the All Talk video was absolutely stellar, so I know he can do better.

harperdc posted:

That's basically my thought as well. It feels like lovely cheap heat.

Sanguinia posted:

Agree. Overtly misogynistic or homophobic rap is such a crutch of edginess that reeks of Early Aughts Doldrums. Anyone with real ability just doesn't need to indulge in it, and shouldn't because it makes them look like a cringey hack.

Okay, I agree with all y'all and I'm glad I'm not alone but where the hell was this energy last week or a couple weeks ago or whenever it was when the Max Caster Defense Brigade was in full effect when I clearly explained that was my problem with him?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Long-Time Lurker posted:

And the AEBLeurgh, lol.

JR was so loving happy when that happened, ahaha

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

Now imagining Donald Trump saying "Favourite sex position? I don't have one. I'm a virgin."

More and more people are saying this

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is Julia Hart related to Bret and all the other little Harts?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

no

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Is Julia Hart related to Bret and all the other little Harts?

Don't think so. i think she's just a cheerleader from Minnesota.

Personally I want her to just go by JULIA, and spell it out in a cheer each time.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I forgot in my last post, but I also gotta say that the card for DoN is looking extremely loving good already. Every single match seems like a potential banger.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Lamuella posted:

Dynathoughts

Griff Garrison is astounding He's like a Von Erich without the short life expectancy.

Im going to think of this line every time I see Griff now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Loved that BPJ promo, I think he's gonna be huge

e
omg Max's rap lmao

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 20, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Why doesn't max rap about the issues? Really teach the kids

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Long-Time Lurker posted:

And the AEBLeurgh, lol.

3 seconds of pure magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vMy8OSCn9o

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

harperdc posted:

That's basically my thought as well. It feels like lovely cheap heat.

Dissing the town you're in is cheap heat but I will never tire of it.

I never seem to have this problem with Max's proper raps, just his entrances. The songs he does where they make a little music video for them are good. It's likely I'm just forgetting something though. Maybe he has more time to prepare for those?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Even griff’s promo was decent for him. Dudes another one with miles of potential at a young age. He could become great.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

OK, here's my dumb opinion for the day:

Does Anthony Ogogo remind anyone else of Brock Lesnar?

Not in the look, obviously, or as an assessment of skill level, but in the spirit of his presentation and in ring style. He comes to the ring not like a wrestler but like an Olympian, his fighting stance is very much a boxer's stance (loved that he got his hands up when Austin was firing shots at him), he has a couple of punches that look like they could legitimately mess someone up, and his whole fight game is about laying guys out rather than pinning or submitting.

Lesnar's thing since he came back has always been "MMA prizefighter who can obliterate mere wrestlers". Used right, and if he has the skills to back up the presentation, I think Ogogo could be the same but with boxing.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
He could destroy any wrestler in a boxing match but Cody is gonna remind him this is a wrestling ring not a boxing ring

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Not to say that Bowens getting clocked mid-sentence isn't funny, but it's Max freaking out in the background that really makes this for me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What if Gunn Sunn is still super enthusiastic in the audience but every time he yells or chants a little blood comes out.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
According to the AEW threads:

"69 me Don" = good

Saying 2 men exchange Valentine gifts = highly problematic

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Generally agree with the lazy rap line thing, but I enjoyed the Mox/Kingston progression of responses to the rap:

"You guys buy each other valentine gifts!" - Nonplussed, bored
"Eddie you look like a box of Newports" - Okay, fair enough, that's kind of funny
"I'm going to attack you like Kenny Omega" - Let's fight, cool, sounds fun!
[invokes Renee] "Someone has to die"

Also just wondering is Brian Pillman Jr. related to Flyin Brian P?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Edge & Christian posted:

Also just wondering is Brian Pillman Jr. related to Flyin Brian P?

As the name implies, he's the son of Flyin' Brian.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Cerebral Bore posted:

As the name implies, he's the son of Flyin' Brian.
Is Griff Garrison related to William Lloyd Garrison?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oil! posted:

According to the AEW threads:

"69 me Don" = good

Saying 2 men exchange Valentine gifts = highly problematic

Both are poo poo imo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Edge & Christian posted:

Second cousins

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

No his dad is Garrison Keilor

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

flashy_mcflash posted:

No his dad is Garrison Keilor

Canceled

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Max's entire thing is crossing lines. The Renee jab, for instance. Max has two write at least two, sometimes three of these every week, too. So he's walking a razors edge where he needs to do something that will offend the opponent and is edgy but isn't over a line on a societal level, has to be funny, has to be specific to whoever he's facing that week, and he's got a couple days at most to write them. I think that is a big reason he often goes for cheap jokes in them, and doesn't always hit the mark on the whole finding the line thing, while his longer more produced stuff has none of those issues. He's a human being working under time crunch with really difficult restraints. But nah, let's instead all just assume the absolute worst about the guy who in his free time does message songs about gay rights and suicide prevention.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

No one is saying he is a bad human being. Just pointing that his jokes are sometimes bad.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Max has actually been writing clean, thought provoking raps but he is being told by the EVPs (who are fighting) to “throw some gay bashing in there” and “some crypto misogyny wouldn’t hurt either”. I wish we could hear the backpack rapper Max instead of this one

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Guillermus posted:

No one is saying he is a bad human being. Just pointing that his jokes are sometimes bad.

I'm saying he's a bad human being. More like Max Basterd.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

he's good

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What if he complimented people?

Yo yo yo, Mox, I heard you had a rough childhood, now you're making a new child, good. Eddie you look like you give good hugs. Maybe later we can chill and do drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

What if he complimented people?

Yo yo yo, Mox, I heard you had a rough childhood, now you're making a new child, good. Eddie you look like you give good hugs. Maybe later we can chill and do drugs.

Clever, he says nice things about his opponents and then they won't hit him so hard.