Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

At some point somebody is going to take the Candice LeRae tack spot from the Bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

harperdc posted:

Eddie Kingston as Ricky Morton is definitely something I needed in my life. Using the X version of “Wild Thing” is also a huge improvement. Wonder if that’s what Moxley had asked for and if somebody goofed last week. Would explain a couple things.
He looked pissed when the panflute solo kicked in last week so I'm willing to bet he immediately demanded the X version.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think today he said Mox and Eddie exchange Valentine's gifts?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Anyone else feel like Taz is going to get kicked out of Team Taz?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So I guess with Rampage's announcement we have a good idea of the format of Dark and Elevation after the pandemic. Elevation is probably going to be taped before Rampage and it'll be longer than Dark because nobody is going to buy tickets to a one hour wrestling show.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I suspect they may close on Stadium Stampede, if only for fear that having a big cinematic match in the middle of the show will kill the crowd

I'm thinking they'll finish the Stadium Stampede by brawling into Daily's Place live.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

enigmahfc posted:

I was under the impression Rampage will be filmed before Dynamite. But I don't think we know anything solid yet.

They're selling tickets to a show on November 5th which is a Friday, and I think they referred to it as an "AEW TNT Television Taping" so I think they're doing them separately.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Last Call posted:

https://twitter.com/KhalafSammy/status/1395432788346777602

Anyone know if that guy knows his poo poo or just makes it up cause I know most of us want those titles to show up.

The actual source is the Mat Men Podcast which have had some very reliable stories lately, but mostly WWE related (they were the first to break NXT moving to Tuesdays and have said the date that WWE is returning to touring is July 16th), so I'd give it like a 75% chance of being true?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

That said I'd love Trios titles but they need to sell them like Dragon Gate does, as the "Symbol of faction supremacy".

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1395483091976683522

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

yea ok posted:

game came on after AEW. but ya the play-ins have done massive numbers

Would've been running head to head with the west coast broadcast though.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

5.6M for Lakers/Warriors on ESPN so yeah that game did an absolutely monstrous number.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The AEW Games thing was about Elite GM. Apparently they're including a PVP mode?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Having to dodge spoilers and battle my own lack of self-control for 3 hours is most of the reason I signed up for AEW+

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think you can easily have Britt beating Jade with Reba (Not Rebel)'s help and that being the impetus for Jade to finally settle on a manager.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Seams posted:

I hope Avenging Angel Kaz gets a shot at Kenny at some point.

I wonder if he's the joker.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

boxcarhobo posted:

is ren stuck in america now with the covid lockdowns in japan?

cody put him in the nightmare family before he leaves CLAIM HIM

He's been in America for a while now. His excursion was meant to basically be "US indies" but, well.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shard posted:

I just noticed the ppv is on a sunday. Is that the new permanent home for the ppv's or is there a reason this one is on a sunday too?

Memorial Day is on Monday. I think Tony said they want to run PPVs on Sundays if there's a holiday the next day, otherwise, Saturday.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

Hypothetical situation.

We dunno how well Ogogo can work. Let's say his training goes well enough, either now or in the future, for him to be able to generally work the AEW house style in an all-around good, solid manner.

Should he do that or, regardless of his talent level in-ring, should he just continue working matches where if he hits you once, you're loving dead.

Against jobbers, probably just stick with the one punch, but against anyone decent/good they can work his arm to make the punch less of a killshot.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Not just the arm either. Someone doing a ton of dragonscrews to him could lessen his ability to do his punch too, since he wouldn't be able to turn his hip into it as much.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think my favorite part of that aside from THE DIPPIN DOTS was Jericho holding the ticket above his head like a holy symbol to ward off evil.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

They did Sammy vs. Darby once and they want to save the rematch for a full crowd.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I've gained a lot of respect for FTR and Spears' character direction is probably the most interesting it's been. Pinnacle has a lot of potential for me.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, we've had these conversations before and doing the usual "crazy people criticizing AEW" thing is boring. Yeah, obviously there was tons of buildup with MJF and the the Inner Circle. But there was no history at all between Spears and FTR and the Inner Circle. So they had a big in ring promo where they tried to pump in heat specifically on them (and did a solid job). But everything happening is about MJF, not the Pinnacle, and they jumped straight into what what traditionally be considered a blowoff and are now jumping straight into a gimmick return match. Its very atypical pacing and its disingenuous as gently caress to act like saying that is the same as saying I want 6 months of rematches.

WarGames isn't traditionally a blowoff, only the NXT version usually is.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

I can absolutely see Inner Circle winning this one, then the rubber match being the blow off.

I can see it going either way but I think I'd lean towards the Inner Circle disbanding as being the last part of Double or Nothing and a big emotional goodbye being what they send the audience off with.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

the only two good hager promos were the one where he said nothing and the one where he said championships

I liked his poem.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Did the Inner Circle literally apologise for being heels? I admit that I've been largely checked out during most of their promos since the MJF betrayal but all I remember is them changing outfits and now the fake crowd do cringeworthy Hager chants

Yeah, though they more or less just blamed it on MJF rather than taking responsibility for their actions pre-MJF.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

rotinaj posted:

In one of his last major feuds, santana stabbed a man in the eye with car keys, and then was stabbed in his own eye with keys

In this feud...

He had to stay home for two weeks because of travel or whatever and they tossed out a "He's in jail" line, without even filming him in a lockup or anything.

There's just a level of difference between what the Inner Circle has done to others in the past to make a feud feel hot, and what has been done to them.

Santana didn't stab Mox, Jericho did.

Also I think Santana was sick last taping so like.. maybe it's a bit unreasonable to expect a filmed vignette.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/shidahikaru/status/1396584160085614594

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

If Shida doesn't turn at DoN I'd love to see Shida/Stat/Tay as a trio.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW7LVB1YJp4 New BTE

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

One of the things I love about AEW is that they don't have to pussyfoot around the issue and try to fabricate some reason for them to fight. Jericho can come out and say 'I've wrestled every PWI #1 wrestler except for you'

It would still have to be a tag match though. I don't think Sting can wrestle solo anymore.

It could pretty easily be cinematic. Painmaker vs. Sting

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

That was a really fun BTE this week, feels like they're settling back into a good groove.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It's going to be interesting to see the crowd reaction to some of these people (particularly the people signed during the pandemic). I've seen some criticism of AEW for trying to push too many people at once instead of focusing on four or five people but I think the way they've approached things will pay off a lot.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I wonder how you could book Shida going over without the live crowd being massively disappointed. I'm already suspecting that, win or lose, this is the first time Shida will blade.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

There must be some timeframe caveats for that because the list goes back to 1972 and the #1 wrestlers were:

1970s: Pedro Morales, Jack Brisco, Bruno Sammartino, Mr. Wrestling II, Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race
1980s: Bob Backlund, Ric Flair, Harley Race, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage
1990s: Sting, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Big Van Vader, Diesel, The Giant, Lex Luger, Stone Cold Steve Austin
2000s: The Rock, Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Batista, John Cena, Triple H, Randy Orton
2010s: Randy Orton, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Brock Lesnar, Seth Rollins, AJ Styles, Adam Cole
2020s: Jon Moxley

Of those:
- Jericho's never wrestled Sting, Adam Cole, Big Van Vader, Harley, or any of the 1970s winners (he did a tag match against Bob Backlund in 2000 though)
- Outside of a 2002 house show and some Royal Rumbles has never wrestled Lesnar.
- If you exclude World War 3 60 Man Battle Royales he's never wrestled Luger or Savage

I'm not opposed to a Sting/Jericho match, but he'd have to really work to get matches with some of the other missing guys.

PWI 500, not the WOTY. So, Hogan, Sting, Bret, Diesel, HBK, Malenko, Austin, Triple H, Angle, RVD, Lesnar, Benoit, Batista, Cena, Orton, AJ, The Miz, Punk, Daniel Bryan, Rollins, Reigns, Okada, Kenny, and Mox.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 24, 2021

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lethrom posted:

I'm not asking why Rocky was hanging out with Trent, I know Roppongi Vice was a thing. I'm asking if there was some reason that they were reunited recently that I missed or if this is just a case of Rocky hanging out at NJPW Strong or something and deciding to show up on BTE.

He was there when Nagata had the match with Mox

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/aewontnt/status/1396934027475447808?s=21

lmao poor Bowens

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

And just to press this point, I think they have low-key done a poor job with Hangman this cycle. I know that to a certain degree, he has to spin his wheels because you can't have him challenge Omega until it's time for him to win, but you have to keep him strong anyway, but he spent most of this cycle just....havin' matches with guys with no story, no stakes and no tension and then all of a sudden, he has a match with Brian Cage on a one week build. I loved the match with Cage and the way it set up the rematch, but it should've been built up more strongly and probably happened a little earlier.

Hangman just feels like a bit of a non-entity right now. And I know they can easily heat him up when it is time to fight Omega because there's so much backstory there, but, yeesh. They really need to be more aggressive with keeping him in compelling stories going forward or time's gonna come for him to challenge Omega and he's not gonna be as over as he should be.

Fuego wears red, that's close enough to orange.

Isn't kind of the point of the ranking system to give these "stakes-less matches" stakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think they need to tease Mox vs. Omega again and have Hangman beating Mox for the #1 contendership.