Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Silver gonna start putting snipers in the rafters in February to make sure a few marketable teams fall into these play in spots every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There are people that will tell you the NBA is dying btw.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I had a bunch of stuff I had to do yesterday and didn't watch Dynamite until this morning, sorry guys. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

yea ok posted:

i'll admit it. i've never seen an ep and have mostly been guessing from the recaps and few twitter gifs i've cared to look at. who is orange cassidy?

I think he's in Team Rocket.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Mox vs. Miro would be fun as gently caress but I don't think it'd be very similar to Mox v. Ishii.

Miro is a monster. Ishii is a brawler. Two very different kinds of match.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't wanna see that match because Jade would have to lose it. :sigh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Or Britt could get DQ'd and duck Jade afterwards

Stuff like that is fine if you don't overdo it like WWE does

I don't disagree, if you're not going to do "title can change hands on a DQ/countout" (which I wish AEW did do, frankly, but that's neither here nor there), I think it can be fine to do that kind of thing, like, once because it'd get big heat, but
1) I think AEW just hates DQs too much. They very strongly believe that if they promise you a match, they need to give you a finish. I can't say they're wrong! I definitely prefer it to the alternative.
2) Things tend to flow logically in AEW, so even if they did do a DQ, they would pretty much have to follow it up with a no DQ match or a cage match or "title can change hands on a DQ" match, which leads us back to the issue of Jade having to lose eventually.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Alan_Shore posted:

Ogogo throwing the flag and Cody screaming noooo and trying to catch it was hilarious. Americans are very strange about these things

Buddy, we're WEIRD AS gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI8RPO87vSc

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Daonaaaaaoooooo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuWGoZF3ew

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
oh btw Christian/Sydal and Velvet/Deeb loving rooooooocked.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hypothetical situation.

We dunno how well Ogogo can work. Let's say his training goes well enough, either now or in the future, for him to be able to generally work the AEW house style in an all-around good, solid manner.

Should he do that or, regardless of his talent level in-ring, should he just continue working matches where if he hits you once, you're loving dead.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I’m kinda underwhelmed by the DoN card tbh, but I’m hoping it’s because they’re finally learning to underpromise and over deliver. I don’t think it’s a bad card by any means and many of these have the right people in them to make them very good, but nothing jumps out to me as “wow that’s gonna be amazing” like Mox vs Omega or Young Bucks vs FTR. Then again, I was completely uninterested in Young Bucks vs Jericho and MJF and that ended up being one of the better matches at Revolution

The build for a lot of stuff has been very low-key and kinda rushed. I dunno how much of this you can blame on THE DUD and how much of it, maybe is due to the shorter time between PPVs, but they did a pretty inelegant job disentangling Moxley from Omega and putting him over to the Young Bucks. For a pretty large chunk of this cycle, the whole Mox/King vs. Elite feud feud felt like it was leading to Mox vs. Omega 3 (4? whatever.) or Kingston vs. Omega. And Hangman spent most of the build as number 1 contender and they didn't start him feuding with Team Taz for way too long, and then they did SCU vs. Young Bucks on TV, quickly rushed Moxley and Kingston to the top of the tag rankings, hastily had Hangman get power bombed down to 5, abruptly announced an eliminator between Orange and PAC....

It all makes sense, it just feels inelegant and rushed.

Having said that, I personally am still excited for everything because everybody in this company is over with me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
And just to press this point, I think they have low-key done a poor job with Hangman this cycle. I know that to a certain degree, he has to spin his wheels because you can't have him challenge Omega until it's time for him to win, but you have to keep him strong anyway, but he spent most of this cycle just....havin' matches with guys with no story, no stakes and no tension and then all of a sudden, he has a match with Brian Cage on a one week build. I loved the match with Cage and the way it set up the rematch, but it should've been built up more strongly and probably happened a little earlier.

Hangman just feels like a bit of a non-entity right now. And I know they can easily heat him up when it is time to fight Omega because there's so much backstory there, but, yeesh. They really need to be more aggressive with keeping him in compelling stories going forward or time's gonna come for him to challenge Omega and he's not gonna be as over as he should be.

rotinaj posted:

I have no strong feelings about who gets to do this, but I would like to see the obvious angle that's just waiting to be done, where someone actively wants to join Team Taz, and wears orange, and tries to suck up to Taz. And obviously is told no and gets the poo poo kicked out of him.

It feels like all the pieces have been laid out very well over the entire lifespan of Taz's time in AEW for that to happen.

Fuego wears red, that's close enough to orange.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

Isn't kind of the point of the ranking system to give these "stakes-less matches" stakes?

Which is fine most of the time but I think in the case of Hangman, the guy who is probably the next champion, he needs some more meat on the bone.

I guess, thinking about it, Moxley and Kenny rose to the title by just winning a bunch of matches but I feel like there was a lot more juicy character stuff in those. Moxley fighting Darby and Janela was awesome and Kenny gradually turning heel throughout the tournament foreshadowed him going full rear end in a top hat against Mox.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

John Dudebro posted:

please get all your hangman/omega fantasy booking out of your systems now before orange cassidy Christian Cage wins the title and none of it is valid anymore

Will do.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I didn't play FF7 but Triple Triad ruled.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Kenny and the Bucks aren't retiring anytime soon. They wont retire before they get that billion dollar TV deal, so it's gonna be at least 2025.

Guys like Sammy, Ricky, Jungle Boy aren't anywhere near world title contention and Darby has outright said he has no interest in the world title and narratively, at least, I believe him. Kenny can have matches with these guys whenever down the line. This will not be Kenny's only title reign, with the world or TNT title, there's plenty of time to do that stuff later.

I wouldn't expect Kenny's reign to be like, two years. He's working through a pretty busted up shoulder right now. I think he's gonna do this belt collector story, lose to Hangman, lose the other belts and take time off to heal up. I don't think it's a lock he drops at All Out, but I'd be....fairly surprised if he doesnt start dropping belts by the start of 2022. Him just being champ forever and his shoulder getting worse to the point where he has to vacate all these belts would be a disaster that nobody wants.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

The Bucks are going to retire so they have more time to spend in lines to buy expensive shoes.

What do you think they have Cutler for?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Matt & Nick have explicitly said they aren't going to wrestle for much longer

I actually think they loaded up on tag teams exactly so they can retire and still have a strong division

I feel like they said they would retire at 40 which is like 4 and 9 years away.

Just bear in mind, all of these guys can do what Jericho and to a lesser extent, Sting ,did to tack multiple extra years onto their careers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cody's a big fan of the Justice League cartoon, you see.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Per Fightful Select, Stadium Stampede will have a "significant live aspect".

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aye Doc posted:

the kenny/hangman reunion tour is going to be the biggest hottest angle in wrestling in 20 years

Shot for shot remake of the Golden Lovers reunion, please.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dacap posted:

Billy Corgan ain’t made of money

He was saving his money for THE BIG DEAL

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1397318531134464001

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you don't watch Dark, I would recommend tuning in to about 1:30:00ish, an angle of sorts ended the show.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I too love Samurai Pizza Cats.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Waffleopolis posted:

I'm going to use this Wednesday to watch last week's because work hosed up my schedule and it's hard trying to watch wrestling and dealing with horse people and gambling addicts constantly. It's still a wednesday or me, my dudes.

Here's a list of things you can do today:

Watch AEW Dark
Watch AEW Dark Elevation
View wrestling twitter
Write a script to a 90's Lucasarts-esque point-and-click adventure starring Best Friends
Throw rocks at Ryan Nemeth
Mathematically measure how much destruction a canadian destroyer does
Imagine what snacks you'll have for double or nothing
Imagine all your inner monologue with with Eddie Kingston's voice
or do whatever the gently caress you want I don't control you

I'm probably gonna just play video games.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Stroker Ace posted:

I went full autisms on a first date once and told the whole story arc of the Golden Lovers and Kenny’s character, she said she admired my passion and we never talked again.

Whew, you really dodged a bullet there.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bischoff is at his best when his appearances are unannounced and he's just showing up out of nowhere to troll Jericho. I KINDA hoped that with Jericho turning face, he would turn heel and it would be AEW canon that his alignment is just "the opposite of Jericho" but it seems like he's gonna be a face again.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah hi I'll have two Quesalupas with a side of Phillip's and some Mauro, thanks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shard posted:

Just a reminder to the mods: I :toxx:'d myself saying if Miro doesn't retain the title at the PPV then I will eat a prob for a month. If he doesn't retain the title this Friday I'll eat that prob then as well. Bottom line - my guy is holding onto the title past Sunday.

See ya in July.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shard posted:

If you're so confident, toxx yourself with the opposite result. Then this will be a gentleman's agreement

Ha, no.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Spiderdrake posted:

I'd be really surprised if Lance won, but I'll be really happy when AEW surprises me at this PPV so it's not like when we talk about surprises in other parts of the industry.
Got all that important Sonic news to post about!

There's a Netflix cartoon and Colors Ultimate is coming, it's exciting times.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sticklefifer posted:

They've been teasing tension with the Jake/Archer dynamic lately, or at least Jake has been finding it harder to control him, so I wouldn't rule out that Archer loses because of Jake somehow.

Part of that speculation is that Jake probably doesn't want to go on the road anymore when things open back up, and they might want to find another role for him.

The amount of being on the road Jake would do wouldn't really change, he lives in Oklahoma.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

Lmao if you think they're immediately jobbing Miro out after putting him over so hard

What I think is that you guys may have misinterpreted the point of having Miro beat Darby and who AEW wants to get over out of all of this.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1398434531024281605

I love him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
:laffo:

And they say kayfabe is dead.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Seams posted:

it’s pretty clearly just Tony khan loving around and having fun ffs

It's literally just his Impact Paid Ad character. And people are going WOW HE LOOKS SO SHOOK. It's loving awesome.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

xbilkis posted:

The screencap is from a scene in which a titan in his profession sees the legitimately outstanding work of a young peer in the same field, and he has a crisis of confidence as he realizes there are young, hungry people who are just as good as he was, that he's been coasting for years and that age and atrophy may now leave him unable to perform at the same level even when he tries to "turn it on." After receiving a righteous dressing-down from the upstart who calls him out as a scared, toxic figure, Don Draper masks his insecurity — and inferiority? — by leveraging the one thing he has left, his status, lying about the jealousy and uncertainty that has consumed him for some time.

SO yeah it doesn't apply to AEW/WWE in any way

See, whenever I see that image as a meme, the "I don't think about you" bit is being used unironically, but given that it's Mad Men and everything I know about that show indicates Don Draper is an insecure, deeply troubled headcase, I always wondered if that was actually the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Le Saboteur posted:

The funniest thing in the replies to that tweet are the Fulham FC fans that are mad at him.

Did they finally get relegated? rip.

coconono posted:

man I hope he cleared that with NJPW

I really doubt they're gonna care. NJPW guys were having fun with the story all day. I really think everybody on the inside is just having a larf about this blowing up into such a big story because from their perspective, it's probably all old news.