Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

They've overjuiced the crowd a bit here.

1) Christian Cage vs Matt Sydal. Good pairing, but pretty vanilla. Nice chain wrestling to start. Nice to see some viciousness from Christian. NICE through-rope dropkick. This is a very competent, very enjoyable match, but nothing pyrotechnic. I don't mind Christian building up matches like this to regain some of the steam he's lost since Revolution.

Wait, Ricky Starks? Doesn't he have a busted neck? Ah, ok, distraction and beating. And then Adam Page! There's 3 ages in the ring! Where's All Ego? Oh drat, the sequence here between Page and Cage is absolutely electric.

Varsity Blonds promo, it's pretty good, but a bit vanilla. They have Julia with them, which I like. Namechecked and officially a Varsity Blond. Cool

Great Mox and Kingston promo. Great Acclaimed promo.

2) Mox and Kingston vs The Acclaimed. OK, so Wild Thing wasn't a one time thing. Max goes for a cheap homophobic line again, which is a shame because the rest of it was very good. Nice beating to start. Nice match in general to start. Obviously Mox and Kingston are great at what they do, but the Acclaimed are quietly one of the best teams in the biz. It feels like the two objectives in this match were for Mox and Kingston to deliver a horrific beating and for the Acclaimed to establish that they richly deserve it. Both teams did well. Nice multidirectional interception chain. Wheelbarrow Death Rider is great. Oh, and AEW needs to switch to calling Mox's move the Death Rider.

Jericho just hanging out with Dean Malenko backstage is nice.

Sky and Page in-ring interview, Sky is technically fine on the mic but uninspiring. Page is good though. Then Sting and Allin attack, then Dark Order come out. All very clustery but perfectly fine.

The Pinnacle in a restaurant. LONG silence while Wardlow skulls a bottle of wine. I liked this, totally different energy to Inner Circle promos.

3) Hikaru Shida vs Rebel. So, less a match and more a beating, which is entirely appropriate. Shida dons a glove to do a lockjaw of her own, Rebel gets a crutch shot, Rebel kind of manages a suplex but isn't really a wrestler. Shida doing a stretch muffler at the end was great, and then we get the Britt Beating, which is what we were here for.

Kenny and Don cornering Cassidy backstage last week. Stat getting in Kenny's face makes me really wish AEW did intergender matches. Don trying to strongarm Orange into withdrawing from the match, Orange just slowly tearing up the paper. Good stuff. The "What went wrong with that powerbomb? Nothing." line was great.

Inner Circle out. I can no longer hear the crowd Judas singalong without hearing "Off camera is a gun. Held by Tony Khan." from the end of Botchamania. https://youtu.be/A6YcOACftUY?t=1224

Ortiz is great, Sammy is great. Jake Hager is Jake Hager. Jericho does a decent promo but revisits the cage spot which just reminds people of the spot looking silly.

Jade being interviewed, Smart Mark comes in and makes a pretty good case for himself as manager honestly.

4) Red Velvet vs Serena Deeb. This is really good. Lots of hard hitting stuff from Velvet, who I feel has been doing extra classes with Dustin on laying her poo poo in. Serena does the salty seasoned veteran thing so well. When she's in charge she is dominating, just strutting over Velvet. Which is good because Velvet is at her best fighting from underneath. I like the story of Serena trying to wear Velvet out and ground her. Nice apron moonsault from Velvet, didn't connect as well as it could have but good looking. A later top rope moonsault looked even better until Serena brought her knees up, as did the high powerbomb that followed it. These are just two people who look really good wrestling each other. Really enjoyed Velvet selling in the knee hold. Deeb is VICIOUS here. Wow, this was a hell of a match

PAC is interviewed in full goblin mode. What fool bets against the bastard now?

5) Anthony Ogogo vs Austin Gunn. No Billy? Interesting. Cody draped in a flag, Sure, whatever. gently caress, Ogogo looks amazing. If he can wrestle as good as he walks to the ring, he's going to be great. I love that he brings up his fists as a guard. And I loved the gut punch just DERAILING Austin Gunn. Jesus, Gunn is bleeding so hard it makes it look like Ogogo is. Great visual. And the the midair right hook was superb. I like the gimmick that he's not going to pin you, he's going to beat you until pinning you isn't necessary. The one touch I wanted, if they're going to do the dumb flag bullshit, was Ogogo wiping Austin Gunn's blood on the flag. Otherwise, great short heat match.

Daniels and Kaz interviewed. Daniels just shakes Kaz's hand and leaves. We may be getting a serious maverick Kaz run here. That would be great.

Sammy out to do picture in picture cards. Cool.

Miro comes out to thank Jesus Christ. I think Jesus Christ should be a bit scared. Miro is just so intense. TNT defense on Friday Night Dynamite? Cool. Lance out and fired up. Holy poo poo, these guys are dropping BOMBS in this promo. I want to see these guys absolutely mutilate each other. Give it to me.

Miro v Dante Martin next week? Ahahahahahaha yes.

The rest of next week's card looks very... eh. Like, nothing at all bad, but lots of stuff that could be a Dark Elevation main event.

6) Varsity Blonds vs Young Bucks. Blonds out with Julia, looking great I love this presentation. Bucks entrance is absolute silly bullshit. Honestly? Blonds look GREAT in there. While the Bucks get and keep control, the Blonds have solid heroic offense and look really good delivering it. Heel Bucks are incredibly good fun. Just smug and arrogant and all around lovely. A pure face team like the Blonds are great foils because every time they get ahead they look amazing and then the lovely heels shut them down. Griff Garrison is astounding He's like a Von Erich without the short life expectancy. Pillman Jr has stepped his game up, too. Maybe it's just that MLW makes him look dull because it's a dull promotion, but he has so much life here. This is a great match. Nice Julia spot, several really beautifully done hope spots. We got the inevitable result but this was really good.

And Mox and Eddie stealing shoes after the bell. OK, fun.

Good show, but kind of a procedural one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

More than anything else, it just feels cheap. Like, Max can clearly rap, he seems to be pretty good at freestyling, I'd like to see him take it as a challenge to avoid the hacky 2002 8 Mile material in favour of stuff that is either memorably weird or has genuine bite. The rest of his verse was good, and the All Talk video was absolutely stellar, so I know he can do better.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Max Caster said cuck once so he's basically Donald Trump

Now imagining Donald Trump saying "Favourite sex position? I don't have one. I'm a virgin."

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Is Julia Hart related to Bret and all the other little Harts?

Don't think so. i think she's just a cheerleader from Minnesota.

Personally I want her to just go by JULIA, and spell it out in a cheer each time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

OK, here's my dumb opinion for the day:

Does Anthony Ogogo remind anyone else of Brock Lesnar?

Not in the look, obviously, or as an assessment of skill level, but in the spirit of his presentation and in ring style. He comes to the ring not like a wrestler but like an Olympian, his fighting stance is very much a boxer's stance (loved that he got his hands up when Austin was firing shots at him), he has a couple of punches that look like they could legitimately mess someone up, and his whole fight game is about laying guys out rather than pinning or submitting.

Lesnar's thing since he came back has always been "MMA prizefighter who can obliterate mere wrestlers". Used right, and if he has the skills to back up the presentation, I think Ogogo could be the same but with boxing.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Guillermus posted:

No one is saying he is a bad human being. Just pointing that his jokes are sometimes bad.

I'm saying he's a bad human being. More like Max Basterd.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

What if he complimented people?

Yo yo yo, Mox, I heard you had a rough childhood, now you're making a new child, good. Eddie you look like you give good hugs. Maybe later we can chill and do drugs.

Clever, he says nice things about his opponents and then they won't hit him so hard.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Andrade would be a fun Joker, just to build the Triplemania match

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The underlying story beat of the Pinnacle as representation of MJF's psyche is great. Like, he was obsessed with joining the Inner Circle because that's a tight knit group of friends he thought he could take over. Only that didn't work so he created his own Inner Circle.

Except... they don't seem to like each other very much. And they're all angry. And sooner or later the group is going to fracture, because MJF can't make anything that has a heart.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The big problem with Miro facing Archer is that it's not possible for both of them to be champ at the same time and I want both of them to be champ.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

smarxist posted:

considering max's trajectory and destiny, if they really go balls out with the pinnacle storyline it could be something really special that sets the tone for his career, like if he makes the whole venture an unending hell for the members with his demands and scary psycho bullshit, and eventually he'll sacrifice one/all of them for gold and be alone again

MJF should be the Kallor of AEW, everything he builds turns to ashes

And sooner or later he'll be faced with everything that's happened to him and have to contemplate his own self-sabotage.

What have I become? he'll ask. Now that I've betrayed everyone I've ever loved. I've pushed them all away.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

make it like a heart necklace where they each get one side and can combine it when they are together to show they are BFFs

Didn't LayCool do that with the divas title once?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

For those with AEW Plus, do they rotate out the free PPV replays you get as part of the package? Right now they have Fight For The Fallen and I think Fyter Fest.

iirc it's always just been those two.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'd still be down with an angle where Ogogo pays for Austin Gunn's hospital bills just to rub it in.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The Pinnacle represent the Seven Hills of Rome: the Capitoline, Quirinal, Viminal, Esquiline, Caelian, and Aventine. With Palatine Hill being represented by D3.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CARLOS IS BACK!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Imagine using the phrase "virtue signalling" in 2021.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Yaya posted:

maximum caster

Implying the existence of a Minimum Caster.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Pylons posted:

I'm thinking they'll finish the Stadium Stampede by brawling into Daily's Place live.

in a classic Boiler Room Brawl moment. That would be fun if they could get it right, although it would carry the potential for a fuckup.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's Aluminium Marko

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I would be very down with this. Sydal is a super safe pair of hands for Hook's first pro match.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

AEW will be moved to POP channel after this.

more like the poop channel

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Alaois posted:

kansas city. kansas.

There's a river.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Sky is a very competent wrestler without being spectacular. he's a confident talker without being an electrifying promo. He seems like an all round nice dude and easy to work with. All of which is a roundabout way of saying I don't find him interesting at all.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lumbermouth posted:

Can’t two to three divorced dads have fun on the weekdays they don’t have their kids without everyone getting so worked up about it?

"It's the DDT! Divorced Dad Technique!"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

I hope that's not a typo and she is referring to Penta.

You know it's just bones down there right

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rocky Romero vs JD Drake is going to be awesome.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Reality Protester posted:

tell me more about ROBO

Had a match against Penta on Elevation last week. Was really pretty good. Is apparently a total gentleman in the locker room.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

Rocky beats JD. The Hunk Squad beats him down. Do PPA/Bononi/Nemeth/Drake vs Romero/BFs/Orange on Dark.

Trust me, Tony.

Orange Cassidy to join CHAOS, confirmed.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

harperdc posted:

I'm glad Narita and Rocky are wrestling even just on Dark, it's a good sign the relationship really is continuing.

Agreed. Next step would be to get some of the AEW midcard and underneath guys to show up on Strong. Obviously we had Mox a couple of times, but Kazarian versus someone like Karl Fredericks would be great.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

All thoughts with Cezar and his family. A lovely thing to go through at the best of times was made even worse by the world making GBS threads itself.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MJeff posted:

Hypothetical situation.

We dunno how well Ogogo can work. Let's say his training goes well enough, either now or in the future, for him to be able to generally work the AEW house style in an all-around good, solid manner.

Should he do that or, regardless of his talent level in-ring, should he just continue working matches where if he hits you once, you're loving dead.

I'm thinking you turn that into a story. Starts off as One Punch Man, then people learn to dodge the punch and he has to adapt. Eventually he's a boxing inflected all rounder with throws and submissions and stuff but he uses it all to create the space for his murderous punch.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

"I don't need a PARTNER

I don't need a FRIEND

What I NEED

Is my BABY DAUGHTER!"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

smarxist posted:

also one of the best coffin drops right after that sequence

gently caress

why didn't we get Darby vs Sammy for the TNT Title? was he injured or what?

Sammy was mired in the inner circle stuff. Darby won the belt at Full Gear, which was the night MJF joined the Inner Circle.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I agree the Pinnacle team is actually very organic and well constructed. Just not their heat with the Inner Circle (besides obviously MJF, and to a lesser extent Wardlow).

That's pretty well explained as just them being their inverse and wanting their spot. They're like the team that the Justice League face that have a super strong flying guy and a speedster and an alien and a shadowy gadget guy and a warrior woman.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Three of them are natural faces, Jericho is being Sammy's buddy and hates MJF enough to do whatever, Hager has no idea where he is or what he's doing but he has people to hit.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ogogo right now:

https://youtu.be/tCtYuARcQPg

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What’s the story with aew this week, dynamite on Friday is it?

Yup. Elevation and Dark on their regular nights, then Dynamite at ten on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I think maybe the reason I'm responding more positively than some people are is that I don't view the Pinnacle as an independent longterm faction.

Like, The Inner Circle exist in the context of the Inner Circle. They are the main characters in their story, and whoever they're in a feus with, they will continue to exist at the end of the feud (unless the point of the feud is to break them up). Same with Dark order. Same with Team Taz. Same with the Nightmare Family.

The Pinnacle to me exist not in their own context but in the context of another group. Hence in a sense they only exist as long as this story goes on. My expectation is that the end of the IC / Pinnacle story is the collapse of the Pinnacle, and I think we're already seeing some of the signs of that. This is the same as the Factory, who exist only as the shadow of the Nightmare Family. It doesn't make them a less fun group, but it does mean that I don't expect that by the autumn we'll be a month and a half into a Dark Order / Pinnacle feud, or Best Friends / Factory.