Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

might i invite you to join byob's war on those dastards in Coupons and Deals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Leal posted:

Maybe we should feud with someone. Trad games thinks its all hot poo poo and should be a top forum, but trad games is where nerds go to talk about board games. LP is where you go to talk about people playing board games.

We kind of already are. The current ongoing Awful Survivor can be seen as LP vs. Trad Games. Ha, I tried to play it as such.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

azren posted:

I'm quite happy with how things are run these days; I've been following the subforum since I joined in '11, and I don't think things have done much but improve over time. That said, I'm also not active enough to get involved in any drama. I was really impressed at the efficiency (and patience) of... I think it was Crow(?) dealing with some of the crap that went on in the Pokemon Reborn thread. That thread was such a beautiful, disastrous mess.

I will say this, I did not actually read a single proper update of Reborn, the thread drama and accumulated mythology was enough to keep me entertained while I tried to wrangle it under control as best I could. I pray the alleged final chapter of that disaster never actually comes out so that OFS doesn't have to reopen that accursed thread and actually finish the LP. The meltdowns and self-owns brought about by that thread though? :discourse: Sheer perfection.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Remember when Something Awful Let's Play moderator nine-gear crow had to give out like 50 gang tags for free because he made an ill-considered promise to the thread? Good times.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I remember when nine-gear crow danced with the angels.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Remember when Something Awful Let's Play moderator nine-gear crow had to give out like 50 gang tags for free because he made an ill-considered promise to the thread? Good times.

Back then the forums were still under Lowtax' control, so retroactively it was a very good thing to basically steal a hundred sixty av changes worth of money that would've been wasted on lovely cookies and expensive car leases.

And what did we learn?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Blindsided Sally posted:

We kind of already are. The current ongoing Awful Survivor can be seen as LP vs. Trad Games. Ha, I tried to play it as such.

And look where that got you. :v:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I pray the alleged final chapter of that disaster never actually comes out so that OFS doesn't have to reopen that accursed thread and actually finish the LP.

Unfortunately, I am a cruel and curious man, and hope it does get finished. I want to see how deep the rabbit hole finally goes.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I mostly just lurk, but I’ll add my voice to the general chorus of “everything’s going well, thanks for being good mods”.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fedule posted:

It's 20. It's been adjusted down a few times; I'm not sure of the history but I remember it being 50 once.

If there's anything I'd want to say to the good people of LP it's this; please rate threads, especially good ones!

Archives has been busted for a while. What's in the rules is how it's supposed to work, and presumably will work again one day.

alright, i voted this thread :)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Seraphic Neoman posted:

The one thing I'm glad, and I don't know if this is a change due to modship or overall SA culture, is that we finally cut the gently caress down on the ironic self-hatred around here. Like calling what we do a "pseudo-hobby" and preening ourselves over how we are about quality but we are also absurdly self-aware about what a waste of time this is. Like thank gently caress that's gone.

I do wish I were more active in today's SALP.

A lot of this came from modship but not quite like you'd think. LP was kind of YCS's ugly stepsister in one in particular actively hated the subforum (and the LP threads in Games before there was one) and would like retitle LP threads and talk about what a circlejerk it was openly and encourage YCS loving with LP. Another one made posting an LP a punishment. When I finally made mod and got into the mod forum archives, I could see that kinda talk behind the scenes and was really paranoid about watching p's and q's.

The "don't take this too seriously" stuff - which I think we... well, I... did for too long and too far was a lot in response to this. (But to be fair, like people did post about like doing Let's Plays instead of their final exams which actually directly spawned the pseudohobby line.) The site didn't do stats so we had no idea how popular LP was outside of the 'users browsing' thing and it was sort of tough to deal with. Lowtax like never ever posted in admin so I thought he hated LP until Webcam Ward when I found out he didn't really know or care about it.

I do regret 'pseduohobby' for sure but a lot of this stuff was just navigating blindly thinking the people who ran the place hated you and having a couple folks in charge seem to confirm that.

At any rate, from someone who lurks very infrequently (my son is pulling my hand away from the keyboard as a type), I think things are a lot better than when I was in charge and I'm glad folks are happier now.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 8, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

slowbeef posted:

I do wish I were more active in today's SALP.

A lot of this came from modship but not quite like you'd think. LP was kind of YCS's ugly stepsister in one in particular actively hated the subforum (and the LP threads in Games before there was one) and would like retitle LP threads and talk about what a circlejerk it was openly and encourage YCS loving with LP. Another one made posting an LP a punishment. When I finally made mod and got into the mod forum archives, I could see that kinda talk behind the scenes and was really paranoid about watching p's and q's.

The "don't take this too seriously" stuff - which I think we... well, I... did for too long and too far was a lot in response to this. (But to be fair, like people did post about like doing Let's Plays instead of their final exams which actually directly spawned the pseudohobby line.) The site didn't do stats so we had no idea how popular LP was outside of the 'users browsing' thing and it was sort of tough to deal with. Lowtax like never ever posted in admin so I thought he hated LP until Webcam Ward when I found out he didn't really know or care about it.

I do regret 'pseduohobby' for sure but a lot of this stuff was just navigating blindly thinking the people who ran the place hated you and having a couple folks in charge seem to confirm that.

At any rate, from someone who lurks very infrequently (my son is pulling my hand away from the keyboard as a type), I think things are a lot better than when I was in charge and I'm glad folks are happier now.

I have moments here and there where I think I made the wrong choice stepping down as a mod, but I think I made the right choice given what was happening at the time and what it was doing to my mental health and I'm happy to be free from the second-hand headache, even if LP was a model subforum in terms of its stability and the quality of its posters for the entirety of my tenure as a mod here. I'm very proud to have both inherited and handed off one of the most well-behaved subs on SA.

I honestly don't think anyone even remembers I was a mod here anymore.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I remember.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You stepped down as mod?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

He finally went to dance with the angels.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: modern LP exists thanks to a lot of the work done by previous mods and posters. we stand on the shoulders of giants. thank you for your service, slowbeef. you did good work. :salute:

(i mean, you probed crow after all hahaha)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

(i mean, you probed crow after all hahaha)

My sole regret as a mod was that I never got the chance to pay slowbeef back for Rainbow Dash Rendar. :mad:

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
A minor request but.. maybe require posts in the New LP thread to state whether they are VLP or SSLP? I know I type prefer one type over the other and when browsing for a new one, it can be a tedious to click on one and have to skim before find out it isn't my preferred type.

It's a minor quibble so feel free to ignore the suggestion!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm not a big fan of the "Let's Stream" thread, it's very active and there's lots of good stuff in there but I find it's hard to keep up with. If a poster in there streams regularly enough and uploads their vods to youtube, I'd personally like to see them be able to set up a general "Goon123 plays games" thread for themselves without dedicating it to a specific game, like a traditional LP thread. I think that would give them some space to introduce themselves to new audience members and let people like me find other stuff they've done without having to dig through the current thread.

I'm not a poster in that thread and I don't do any streaming myself so I'm not sure if anyone there would actually want to do something like this, but I figured I'd float the idea anyway.

TitusGroen posted:

A minor request but.. maybe require posts in the New LP thread to state whether they are VLP or SSLP? I know I type prefer one type over the other and when browsing for a new one, it can be a tedious to click on one and have to skim before find out it isn't my preferred type.

It's a minor quibble so feel free to ignore the suggestion!

I remember one of the mods earlier in the year saying they might look into setting up an "LP type" tag similar to how Ask/Tell has their separate Ask or Tell tag, which I think would be a really good addition!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rename Let's Play to Let's Feast for November.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Leal posted:

Rename Let's Play to Let's Feast for November.

Thanksgiving was in October :lofty::canada:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Danaru posted:

Do Canadians consider trick or treat candy a feast :confused:

Leal fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 2, 2021

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Danaru posted:

drat right. :canada:

Leal posted:

Do Canadians consider trick or treat candy a feast :confused:

Only if you were lucky enough to hit the houses that handed out the good poo poo, like full-sized chocolate bars.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Beartaco posted:

I'm not a big fan of the "Let's Stream" thread, it's very active and there's lots of good stuff in there but I find it's hard to keep up with. If a poster in there streams regularly enough and uploads their vods to youtube, I'd personally like to see them be able to set up a general "Goon123 plays games" thread for themselves without dedicating it to a specific game, like a traditional LP thread. I think that would give them some space to introduce themselves to new audience members and let people like me find other stuff they've done without having to dig through the current thread.

I'm not a poster in that thread and I don't do any streaming myself so I'm not sure if anyone there would actually want to do something like this, but I figured I'd float the idea anyway.

This isn't actively against the rules. The Stream Thread is a way to prevent the forums from being spamming by dozens and dozens of low content threads that don't make it past the first page.

I dunno, is this something the SALP community at large wants? If a particularly prolific streamer wants to create a stream thread, we could try it out?

Beartaco posted:

I remember one of the mods earlier in the year saying they might look into setting up an "LP type" tag similar to how Ask/Tell has their separate Ask or Tell tag, which I think would be a really good addition!

That was me and it was put on the backburner in favour of other more dire things needing to be fixed for Something Awful broadly. Again, is this something the SALP community at large wants? If so, I'll put together a formal proposal for Astral and Jeffrey to shift priorities.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Sally posted:

This isn't actively against the rules. The Stream Thread is a way to prevent the forums from being spamming by dozens and dozens of low content threads that don't make it past the first page.

I dunno, is this something the SALP community at large wants? If a particularly prolific streamer wants to create a stream thread, we could try it out?

That was me and it was put on the backburner in favour of other more dire things needing to be fixed for Something Awful broadly. Again, is this something the SALP community at large wants? If so, I'll put together a formal proposal for Astral and Jeffrey to shift priorities.

For Point #1: If somebody is streaming regularly, then it could be nice for them to have their own thread set up. If they are streaming the same game all the time, then I think you could just set up a traditional LP thread. But if they tend to stream a bunch of different games, then I could see an exception being made.

The problem is, how many times does someone have to stream for them to warrant their own thread? Sally's concern about the forum being spammed with threads that never make it past the first page is certainly valid.

Personally, if it was going to happen, I would like to see some kind of general rule in place for people to start in the Let's Stream thread and move out to their own dedicated thread only after they have uploaded enough content to justify it.

For Point #2: I would like to see this. The LP Archive allows you to sort by Screenshot/Video/Hybrid, but for ongoing threads there isn't a way to tell at a glance what type it is (unless someone includes it in the thread title or New Thread announcement). I prefer SSLPs, personally, so it is kind of a bummer when I spot a game and then click it, only to find out that it's a VLP.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Sally posted:

I've seen people do this already to some extent and I more or less already do this???? Kinda?

Now the thing is neither me nor others I've seen have made general threads for their streams but instead they might have a series with a theme or some kind of show (like myself) that is live-streamed. They let people know when they go live there and link VODs in their op. Due to the relatively loose definition of what an LP is (or isn't) people generally don't seem to care as long as it's close enough to whatever they think qualifies as an LP (I'm personally of the nothing is true, everything is permitted mindset.)

The main advantage I see with having one centralized thread for it is that you can just hop in there and see who's live and you can easily find new people to watch there. So that's definitely something I'd want to stay, even if streamer threads become a common thing. The go-live thread is less of a thing to keep up with and more something to pop into and see if anyone is up to any cool mischief right now. And I like it for that.

That said, if you ask me if I WANT to have dedicated Streamer threads for individual posters (or groups) then I'm not against it. It's more like I'm indifferent to it right now. It could be cool. It was the preferred way to do things on the lp.zone and it kinda fell flat as far as I can tell, but perhaps that was due to that site being relatively small, even when it was still hot and new and had a lot of people joining. If there's worries that something like this might clutter up the forum maybe we can come back to the tag idea or something. Or make it a subforum. But I feel this would be unnecessary and maybe even detrimental to the whole idea. Unless it's REALLY popular.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 2, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Streamer subforum seems like a good idea. It lets people do whatever they want without a risk of clogging up LP itself.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Streamer subforum seems like a good idea. It lets people do whatever they want without a risk of clogging up LP itself.
:agreed:

A separate forum might also help streamers themselves, since any viewer who goes to Streamers R' Us Forum is obviously interested in finding some streaming content to follow, whereas people in LP forum may or may not actually care about finding active streamers (case in point: prior to this discussion, I legit forgot there was even a thread for announcing streams in LP).

Beartaco posted:

Sally posted:

I would like this, to make it easier to sort through. Doesn't need to be anything complex, just a simple tag for SSLP, VLP, and "Other" probably serves the purpose enough.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

think the lp tags are a good idea, not too hot on the stream sub-forum, think itll just lead to a more spread-out version of the lets stream thread where each thread is just the OP posting to no reaction, like a post my favorites thread.
not a huge thing but does feel weird for me, as a forum is all about the diversity of posts imo

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Is the streaming thread excessively busy to warrant a forum of its own? I'm open to anyone who wants to use the streaming format to make an individual thread on this forum if they want to. The whole concept of LP's has changed a lot over the last x amount of years, this forum has undergone a lot of changes and grown throughout it all. I started my first LP here over eight years ago after a long time of lurking and viewing many others. I'm more than happy if someone wants to have their own thread for their streams whether it's an individual thread for a variety of games or it's individual threads for each game that they play. I'd rather people just post the content that they feel comfortable posting and everyone has a choice if they want to watch and engage in discussion. I've been happy watching edited, concise and informative LPs and I've been happy watching a four-hour stream with someone talking bollocks for three and a half hours and with half an hour of actual gameplay. We've all been here long enough to know that low effort threads usually disappear into the ether so I'm not too worried if there is an influx of low-effort threads. This is one forum where you're going to latch onto a thread or you're not depending on a very specific basis.

I think that if we're going to add tags then I think that we should add "Stream(ing)" to "VLP", "SSLP" and "Hybrid\Other".

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It kinda feels like as a generalisation people making a thread where they just post the vod of their latest multi-hour stream is more no effort than low effort though.

The purpose of having an LP thread is to foster discussion and to some extent an element of interaction, which seems trickier to do when you've got a multi hour video covering a vast chunk of a game and a lot of the discussion has already happened during the stream with the audience anyway.

There are exemptions to this as Iggy says. Their thread utilises thread interaction to build a live show that happens during a stream which is kind of in line with the thread interactivity and effort ethos of LP.

Fundamentally i think the skillset and purpose of an lp vs a stream are different. If the aim is for people to break out of the streaming thread and have individual threads then i think a dedicated (potentially low traffic) subforum of LP is probably the best place.

As futurefriend says the content of the individual threads in a potential streamer sub may be a bit like post my favourites, but given that streams are for a live audience is that necessarily a bad thing?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Am I the only one who sees an interesting opportunity for a Mod Challenge going on the past few days? Properly crafted, it could be the knife edge between someone learning what it means to get serious about something or the realization that it isn't really what they wanted to do with an easy way to pull a vanishing act.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

A well-crafted mod challenge can be a shot at redemption. Or comedy. Maybe it is time indeed. Maybe.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In this instance i suspect itd be more cringe than anything because the guy just wants to have LPed.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Namtab posted:

In this instance i suspect itd be more cringe than anything because the guy just wants to have LPed.

'Tis better to have LPed and lost than to never have LPed at all?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Rosalie_A posted:

'Tis better to have LPed and lost than to never have LPed an anime torture porn game at all.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Thats what the upcoming streamer subforum is for

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Sally posted:

No one's really discussing streaming in the Let's Stream thread, they're just advertising. Even when people have questions about streaming, they post them elsewhere, because the thread is seen as just a simple link-dump rather than a thread that's really about streaming itself.

I feel like just posting "I'm live, here's my stream link" all the time doesn't really have much point to it. I see it in all kinds of streamer spaces, and it always has basically zero engagement or interest at all. If someone wants to know every single time an individual streamer is streaming, they'll follow or subscribe. Twitch and Youtube will gladly bombard you with notifications on every device you own if you let them. On the other hand, no one wants to read a thread or Discord channel or Twitter account that exclusively posts stream links and nothing else.

If people want to advertise their stuff, it should be an every once-in-a-while "here's the cool stuff I've done/been doing and this is why you should follow me if you're interested", rather than just posting every single time they go live. Other than that, it might be a good idea to refocus the streaming thread on streaming itself rather than being an advertisement station. Reboot it, have someone refresh the OP, have people dial down the stream notifications a bit.

Separate threads for streamers who make more interactive or community-focused content and have ways to give LP posters influence on the content by posting in the thread might not be a bad thing. It's actually kind of a pain in the rear end for streamers to do stuff like that, since Twitch and Youtube don't really give a lot of room for interaction outside of videos and streams. But VODs really aren't the same as a carefully-edited LP video.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I personally like just having a thread I can go to to find a stream to watch without having to wade through tedious discussion about getting famous or hate raids or bots and all that stuff. There multiple people I follow now only because I found them there.
I see value in space to discuss stream-related stuff, but I'd still like to have my good old go-live dump.

E: reading through the op of the thread it definitely needs an update. It still mentions hitbox. RIP

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rename Let's Play to Let's Sleigh