Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mega64 posted:

Only suggestion is maybe another contest is probably due, but I know how much effort those can be to set up.

Agreed. It's been a while. I don't want to just fall into the trap of doing holiday themed contests... but I DO have something brewing...

GrandmaParty posted:

I think everyone is doing wonderful and I wish Dan would probate Circlmastr some more.

Hmm, maybe one day we should give every SALPer IK status so we can all probe CirclMastr more. :thunk:

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think it's in our best interests if we as an SA subforum and the mods in particular continue being on a friendly basis with the Beach mods.

All good there. I believe we all get along, though honestly we don't all post together a ton. JamieTheD and I have been collaborating on-and-off for years.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

The one thing I'm glad, and I don't know if this is a change due to modship or overall SA culture, is that we finally cut the gently caress down on the ironic self-hatred around here. Like calling what we do a "pseudo-hobby" and preening ourselves over how we are about quality but we are also absurdly self-aware about what a waste of time this is. Like thank gently caress that's gone.

I'd like to chalk it up to the overall cultural shift, not just in SA, but how LPs are viewed at large. I have no evidence for this of course, ha.

I WAS on SALP for that and yeah it was a strange period. I was definitely told to gently caress off for being an ironic shitlord during that time, which annoyed me because I thought put a lot of heart and soul into my LPs. Ah well. I'm of an "LP and let LP" mindset, and was too during the the Great LP Schism. I mean, if you look at my catalog, I've done both absurdly high effort LPs and extremely low effort gimmick ones. I love self-deprecating humour, indulge in it myself, but have never viewed LP as more than a hobby. It was never self-hating, and honestly, I don't believe that lot of the people who were accused of being self-hating back then actually WERE self-hating. Some of the funniest and most well made LPs I saw at the time were from that cohort. They were high effort. They were entertaining. Yeah, they were self-deprecating, but whatever. Who cares?

Simultaneously, yeah, I agree, it was a lot more for other people and it really loving sucked when they got told off for "caring too much". Why shouldn't people be allowed to give a poo poo about what they do? I've managed to transfer skills learned mucking about LPing into realworld work, for example. But I believe there's room for both kinds of LPers on the forum. What I wasn't a fan of was the attitude that there was "One Way" to LP. I remember in Ye Olde Sandcastles of yore, you'd occasionally see people come in with test posts for a VLP of a JRPG, only to be told the equivalent of "Hey, we don't do VLPs of JRPGs around here!"

I am glad of the existence of several VLPs of JRPGs in the Archive so we can be done with that silly notion.

Anyways, I'm rambling about LP history now. Perhaps I feel guilty for the Blasting Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i was to renew the putty warding runes but...

drat, now i am going to destroy them.

(the Jenga LP is still my fav)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lmao crow probed for dissin Chris Jericho. when you go at the Undisputed Champion, you best not miss!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

IGgy IGsen posted:

especially that one time I was probated for drunkposting a year after it happened simply because I expressed probation-envy when someone else was hit with a probe.

i'm here for you, IGgy!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Leal posted:

Maybe we should feud with someone. Trad games thinks its all hot poo poo and should be a top forum, but trad games is where nerds go to talk about board games. LP is where you go to talk about people playing board games.

We kind of already are. The current ongoing Awful Survivor can be seen as LP vs. Trad Games. Ha, I tried to play it as such.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: modern LP exists thanks to a lot of the work done by previous mods and posters. we stand on the shoulders of giants. thank you for your service, slowbeef. you did good work. :salute:

(i mean, you probed crow after all hahaha)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Beartaco posted:

I'm not a big fan of the "Let's Stream" thread, it's very active and there's lots of good stuff in there but I find it's hard to keep up with. If a poster in there streams regularly enough and uploads their vods to youtube, I'd personally like to see them be able to set up a general "Goon123 plays games" thread for themselves without dedicating it to a specific game, like a traditional LP thread. I think that would give them some space to introduce themselves to new audience members and let people like me find other stuff they've done without having to dig through the current thread.

I'm not a poster in that thread and I don't do any streaming myself so I'm not sure if anyone there would actually want to do something like this, but I figured I'd float the idea anyway.

This isn't actively against the rules. The Stream Thread is a way to prevent the forums from being spamming by dozens and dozens of low content threads that don't make it past the first page.

I dunno, is this something the SALP community at large wants? If a particularly prolific streamer wants to create a stream thread, we could try it out?

Beartaco posted:

I remember one of the mods earlier in the year saying they might look into setting up an "LP type" tag similar to how Ask/Tell has their separate Ask or Tell tag, which I think would be a really good addition!

That was me and it was put on the backburner in favour of other more dire things needing to be fixed for Something Awful broadly. Again, is this something the SALP community at large wants? If so, I'll put together a formal proposal for Astral and Jeffrey to shift priorities.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TitusGroen posted:

Did we ever get a SSLP and VLP tag/filter made?

the bigger issue was that the filter wouldn't work under the SAMart/Ask-Tell second column. Those aren't filterable. Just... tags for lookin' at. :thatsradium: Instead, the SSLP and VLP tags are now just useable tags... which ARE filterable.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also, IK switch-up...

tithin, Leal, and PurpleXIV are now IKs for SALP. feel free to annoy these people if you need title changes, tag changes, or other miscellany stuff done for your threads.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Malah posted:

Thank you, Danaru, for once again drawing your horny slaying katana when faced with the horrors of the internet.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
depends. ancient mods were given @somethingawful emails. i made a gmail account for mod purposes. not all mods did so. the mod contact post in... SAD? has alternate contact methods if available.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Danaru posted:

Yeah we're going to work on the wording but there's a pretty clear difference between Persona 5 and what Revil was perma'd for.

yeah that was pretty selfevident. gently caress rules lawyering. but also it would hopefully be selfevident that that Revil person shouldnt have been posting that trash but here we are.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ty jeff

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
again you would think so but here we are

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Danaru posted:

I watched roughly ten seconds of the Date A Live anime years ago because I saw the title and thought "oh hey that's that thing that inspired Toby Fox"

It consisted of a girl constantly flashing her underwear shouting "I'm 14 and I want to have sex with my brother!!"

Needless to say you can see why I nuked that thread instantly. it was LIVE A Live that Toby liked

lol jfc. stepping away from modding remains a good call. ty for your service danaru

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Danaru posted:

If you post hole in LP I will lock you in a warehouse and hunt you like I'm Freddy Fazbear I stg

is this a euphemism?