Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Fedule posted:

Archives has been busted for a while. What's in the rules is how it's supposed to work, and presumably will work again one day.

How it's supposed to work is anything in archives is irretrievably moved to the archive system and you need to start a new thread, but, it was nice to have an unarchive button. But yeah archiving in any sense is off entirely right now.

Quackles posted:

Could we change that? I like the idea of threads in the LP forum being left open - perhaps only archiveable if they're closed for a long period of time...

The archive system is meaningfully cheaper to run than the live system, I believe it's been said, so they're probably not going to give LP special dispensation.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

The one thing I'm glad, and I don't know if this is a change due to modship or overall SA culture, is that we finally cut the gently caress down on the ironic self-hatred around here.

This post was technically about subforum rules but I'm going to link it anyway. Probably read the rest of the mod/ex-mod posts on that page too tbh.

Fedule posted:

It's not like Slowbeef and Zorak did everything one way that was bad and then Geop (and briefly Chip) and Jordan and I came along and said "what if LP was Good instead?" and started this master plan and now everything's great. This whole thing's a community, and a community built around a creative endeavour at that; there's only so much one can manage a thing like this when your most meaningful tool is to briefly exclude people from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

GrandpaAhab posted:

Schildkrote was an early years Let's Player from the predominantly screenshot Let's Play time. He got in touch with UltraJman through the forums in some way that resulted in a whole armada of individuals on Something Awful chastizing people on Youtube for making bad and poor quality Let's Plays. UltraJman's channel was used as the main avenue to communicate with Youtube based Let's Players and Retsupurae was born out of the whole situation.

The opposite is the case, this was done off the back of retsupurae, or at least afterwards - the original retsupurae thread was in late Feb 2008 and lasted a (frenzied) week until it got moved to YCS, whereas the Schildkrote stuff wasn't until mid-April.

More helpfully - Schildkrote did an abbreviated writeup himself on this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2822819&userid=101893#post342572618, though, the videos are still lost to time.