Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaAhab
Sep 15, 2011

Oh no, not again.
Hello, please redirect this if necessary, but this seemed the most appropriate place to post so as to not detract from the purpose of other threads.
I am currently writing a history of the Lord Schildkrote drama that took place in the early days of Let's Play. I am seeking comment from anyone who was around at that time with memory or primary source documentation of the event.
In particular, I am trying to find Let's Player's Schildkrote and Volcanostyle to request for comment on the event.
I am also seeking any kind of video evidence that it occurred such as the reveal video posted to UltraJman's original channel that the sociology experiment reveal was a lie to gently caress with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaAhab
Sep 15, 2011

Oh no, not again.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Can anyone give a brief outline of what happened? I've tried a brief search and all I get are some weird videos:

Schildkrote was an early years Let's Player from the predominantly screenshot Let's Play time. He got in touch with UltraJman through the forums in some way that resulted in a whole armada of individuals on Something Awful chastizing people on Youtube for making bad and poor quality Let's Plays. UltraJman's channel was used as the main avenue to communicate with Youtube based Let's Players and Retsupurae was born out of the whole situation. A Youtube Let's Player named Grawl started a Let's Play forum for Youtube Let's Players to gather and share like on Something Awful, much to the ridicule of the Schildkrote folks. At one point, Schildkrote and crew made a video revealing the whole situation to be a sociological experiment led by Jman's professor at NYU and started participating in helping Youtube Let's Players increase their content quality, even joining the Let's Play Forum to do so. A few days later, they made another video laughing at the gullibility of the entire community. At some point, Jman's channel was banned and it eventually fizzled out, but boy howdy was it an interesting time to be around.

Thank you for the videos you both managed to scrounge up, they're helpful to put in the list. I'm planning on making a short documentary video of the events for the sake of letting people know about this dumpster fire of early internet history. More than anything, I want to get ahold of those original reveal videos about the experiment angle. They were absolutely ridiculous.

GrandpaAhab
Sep 15, 2011

Oh no, not again.

IGgy IGsen posted:

You had to earn "Status" before you were allowed to post an LP. Something I never really liked but whatchoo gonna do?

I didn't know the Schildkrote gang tried to mock the place.

Oh gosh, I was on the earliest crew to join that forum and it was in a time when you just had to say "Hey Grawl, I make LPs, gimme status," and he would just do it. About a month later he implemented some pretty strict rules about needing to have been mentored by other LPers and pass a thread test or something.

Anyway, yeah, it was a subject of ridicule for the Schildkrote crew, at one point I remember there being a very public exchanging of nasty words between Grawl and Schildkrote et al.