Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Sally posted:

This isn't actively against the rules. The Stream Thread is a way to prevent the forums from being spamming by dozens and dozens of low content threads that don't make it past the first page.

I dunno, is this something the SALP community at large wants? If a particularly prolific streamer wants to create a stream thread, we could try it out?

That was me and it was put on the backburner in favour of other more dire things needing to be fixed for Something Awful broadly. Again, is this something the SALP community at large wants? If so, I'll put together a formal proposal for Astral and Jeffrey to shift priorities.

No one's really discussing streaming in the Let's Stream thread, they're just advertising. Even when people have questions about streaming, they post them elsewhere, because the thread is seen as just a simple link-dump rather than a thread that's really about streaming itself.

I feel like just posting "I'm live, here's my stream link" all the time doesn't really have much point to it. I see it in all kinds of streamer spaces, and it always has basically zero engagement or interest at all. If someone wants to know every single time an individual streamer is streaming, they'll follow or subscribe. Twitch and Youtube will gladly bombard you with notifications on every device you own if you let them. On the other hand, no one wants to read a thread or Discord channel or Twitter account that exclusively posts stream links and nothing else.

If people want to advertise their stuff, it should be an every once-in-a-while "here's the cool stuff I've done/been doing and this is why you should follow me if you're interested", rather than just posting every single time they go live. Other than that, it might be a good idea to refocus the streaming thread on streaming itself rather than being an advertisement station. Reboot it, have someone refresh the OP, have people dial down the stream notifications a bit.

Separate threads for streamers who make more interactive or community-focused content and have ways to give LP posters influence on the content by posting in the thread might not be a bad thing. It's actually kind of a pain in the rear end for streamers to do stuff like that, since Twitch and Youtube don't really give a lot of room for interaction outside of videos and streams. But VODs really aren't the same as a carefully-edited LP video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
i don't think anyone would post there at this point, except for the people who really shouldn't