Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Seraphic Neoman posted:

The one thing I'm glad, and I don't know if this is a change due to modship or overall SA culture, is that we finally cut the gently caress down on the ironic self-hatred around here. Like calling what we do a "pseudo-hobby" and preening ourselves over how we are about quality but we are also absurdly self-aware about what a waste of time this is. Like thank gently caress that's gone.

I do wish I were more active in today's SALP.

A lot of this came from modship but not quite like you'd think. LP was kind of YCS's ugly stepsister in one in particular actively hated the subforum (and the LP threads in Games before there was one) and would like retitle LP threads and talk about what a circlejerk it was openly and encourage YCS loving with LP. Another one made posting an LP a punishment. When I finally made mod and got into the mod forum archives, I could see that kinda talk behind the scenes and was really paranoid about watching p's and q's.

The "don't take this too seriously" stuff - which I think we... well, I... did for too long and too far was a lot in response to this. (But to be fair, like people did post about like doing Let's Plays instead of their final exams which actually directly spawned the pseudohobby line.) The site didn't do stats so we had no idea how popular LP was outside of the 'users browsing' thing and it was sort of tough to deal with. Lowtax like never ever posted in admin so I thought he hated LP until Webcam Ward when I found out he didn't really know or care about it.

I do regret 'pseduohobby' for sure but a lot of this stuff was just navigating blindly thinking the people who ran the place hated you and having a couple folks in charge seem to confirm that.

At any rate, from someone who lurks very infrequently (my son is pulling my hand away from the keyboard as a type), I think things are a lot better than when I was in charge and I'm glad folks are happier now.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU