Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
My dad Gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Please, gaming is my father. Call me bideo james

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Big Beef City posted:

When I was young, I had an NES.
I have no idea what compelled him to, but he picked up Legend of Zelda. Started playing it, and beat it over the course of I dunno how long with me watching over his shoulder and acting as 'navigator' for him.
Once he beat it, he put the controller down and turned off the console.

I've never once before or after play a single video game of any kind, ever.

:hai:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

As I've documented in the past my greatest childhood fear was the first boss in DKC3

I used to call my dad into the living room so he could move my character past his spot on the world map, out of a fear I had that he would jump out of his level and chase me around even after having beaten him.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

My dad never played games with me growing up, but I got him to play Triple Play '97 or '98 with me because he enjoyed baseball. He knocked back to back to back homeruns on me, put the controller down, and left saying, "that was easy."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think my dad's biggest calm freakout from video games was when the NES dragon quest 4 gave him the dreaded "sorry to inform you but adventure log 1 has been erased" message for his file that was just before necrosaro. He never played another dragon quest game after that and he would walk out of the room when me and my brothers played.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Bicyclops posted:

I think my dad's biggest calm freakout from video games was when the NES dragon quest 4 gave him the dreaded "sorry to inform you but adventure log 1 has been erased" message for his file that was just before necrosaro. He never played another dragon quest game after that and he would walk out of the room when me and my brothers played.

sad thinking about the epic dq gameing he missed

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I used to watch my dad play descent 2&3 when I was a child

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

The last game my dad was really into was Yoshi's Island for the snes, once I learned how to read it well enough my dad would have me identify the locations of red coins in the levels from his official Nintendo Player's Guide. I vividly remember my first time hearing the word "poo poo" was when my dad got legit pissed off at Prince Froggy and had to go for a walk afterward, he was extremely embarrassed about it lol. gaming dad freakouts ftw

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

my autistic stepdad loved the poo poo out of Brute Force for the og xbox

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

several friends posted:

my autistic stepdad loved the poo poo out of Brute Force for the og xbox

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
You would know it's a dad even if the op didn't say so, because he's standing up

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

proud son to a gaming father. he exploited a quest in City of Heroes to farm so much money, the quest got patched. not before making his guild one of the wealthiest on the server. epic.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stairmaster posted:

I used to watch my dad play descent 2&3 when I was a child

My dad and I played a ton of Descent and then Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis as a kid, he was like obsessively into both games. Then we beat them and he never touched a video game again to my knowledge. Seems like that's a common dad thing based on this thread, it's weird. Maybe even though gaming isn't their hobby they want to achieve mastery over at least one or two before moving on

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Playing full 18 hole rounds of Saint Andrews in tiger woods 05 with my dad who's never played golf in his life and just getting destroyed while he does the little tiger fist pump after every 90 foot putt

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

FutonForensic posted:

proud son to a gaming father. he exploited a quest in City of Heroes to farm so much money, the quest got patched. not before making his guild one of the wealthiest on the server. epic.

City of Heroes ftw. I still play off and on, on the homecoming servers

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

extremely steampunk posted:

City of Heroes ftw. I still play off and on, on the homecoming servers

Topic-related screenshot

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Big Beef City posted:

When I was young, I had an NES.
I have no idea what compelled him to, but he picked up Legend of Zelda. Started playing it, and beat it over the course of I dunno how long with me watching over his shoulder and acting as 'navigator' for him.
Once he beat it, he put the controller down and turned off the console.

I've never once before or after play a single video game of any kind, ever.

If you're only going to play one video game that's a good choice

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

My dad still brags about the one time he beat me in Street Fighter at the Boardwalk when I was 12

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

NienNunb posted:

My dad still brags about the one time he beat me in Street Fighter at the Boardwalk when I was 12

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

my dad bought his own personal GBA SP solely so he could try to beat SMB3 solo. iirc he got stuck partway through World 8 and never managed to finish it. :smith:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

symbolic posted:

my dad bought his own personal GBA SP solely so he could try to beat SMB3 solo. iirc he got stuck partway through World 8 and never managed to finish it. :smith:

Some say that dad is still trying to beat world 8 to this very day

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
my dad was an early adopter of all sorts of tech stuff but never got into gaming, except for an old mac flight sim called Hellcats, which he loving destroyed at. He had an ace pilot, Englebert Humperdinck, that my idiot friends killed when they came over and played and instantly crashed during flight school. We were all afraid to tell him what happened and he was like, who cares, its a video game.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
my dad and i used to play blades of steel on NES all the time, it was the one game he could beat me at. what i only found out recently was he would run tournaments of some atari hockey game for cash at this bar that would also book his band. apparently he had a pretty big atari collection that was sold off by the time i was born. he never really played any games after that because 'they had too many buttons now'.

but then when we got a ps2 he heard about the vice city and got excited that there was an 80s game and would play that for hours with a big notebook of cheat codes. he didnt play any other games just that and like wii sports. then just the other day he asked if there were any new vice city games for him to try now that hes retired :unsmith:

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
I love to see a father at rest, gaming at last.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Him dad gaming.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

My dad played this with me when I was little: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51gH7oHiKXg&t=80s

The next game he played with us was mario golf on the 64 and kept talking about how incredible games have gotten, but also how it was for us kids and not him :(

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
gaming is for everyone. buy that dad a switch

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

My dad only ever played Harvest Moon 64, but I'm trying to get him to try Stardew Valley.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
you know what dads like to play

computer solitaire

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bula Vinaka posted:

computer solitaire

drat, this dude gets dads. holy poo poo

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Bula Vinaka posted:

computer solitaire

You got me. I even put that poo poo on my phone

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Haha... but really dads be like that.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i thought that was more of a mom thing

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
My dad was super into star tropics when I was a kid. If I look through all the old poo poo at his house I can still probably find the hand drawn maps he made of the levels, the timing patterns of the sinking blocks, that loving parrots piano sequence, etc on an old yellow legal pad.

Later in life he was big into Europa universalis and civ. I think most of the games I got as a kid was because he was a gamer at heart

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

mycophobia posted:

i thought that was more of a mom thing

dads play freecell

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Also we played the poo poo out of rbi baseball

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Food Boner posted:

Also we played the poo poo out of rbi baseball

I can still hear the music from that game in my head. My youngest brother loved it.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
my dad liked to play arnold palmer on the genesis and later on the hot shots golfs for the psx. nowadays he doesnt play anything afaik, hes very tech averse aside from reading conservative news crap on his phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

and everyone knows mom's play doctor mario.