Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Coincidentally I just finished reading Age of Apocalypse for the first time yesterday, may as well keep going!

I enjoyed AoA. It's by no means the best written comic in the world but I liked the way it was structured and it did interesting things with a couple of the characters. Generation Next was the clear standout both in art and writing and it's ending was a very well executed gut punch. Overall the whole thing was fun, in a 90's sort of way.

It will be interesting to see Onslaught in comparison as by all accounts it sounds like the one of the prime examples of not just the worst parts of 90's comics but comic events in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

That was a fantastic write up!

Prime definitely gives the impression of the writers having a general sense of where they want to take the story hooks present in the issue. Knowing that the gigantic crossover about having to punch one Really Big Man is where this is all leading makes me think that almost all of the stuff here will either go nowhere or get sidelined.

I know that the legacy virus stuff didn't get resolved for several more years which to me seems like it should have been the focus of the next major story arc based on this issue, especially since it had already been around for three years at that point.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I was aware that there was a period of time in the comic where Wolverine was living in the woods and became a feral noseless animal man but I had assumed that meant he went to an actual forest in the wilderness or something. Reading this and finding out he was just living in the backyard was pretty funny.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I noticed that Beast repeatedly calls people "dude" in these issues and while I know at the time he was written as a more light-hearted character than he is nowadays that still feels really weird.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

After the pretty dull Gene Nation stuff, switching to a chaotic fight on a collapsing space station was a breath of fresh air. I've read ahead to the end of this little arc and I think Nicieza really does a good job writing Scott and Jean both as a couple who are very in sync and as individual characters. It's some solid character work.

Going back an issue I think it's funny that Lobdell didn't want to have Xavier turn out to be Onslaught but he wrote him publicly downplaying and sowing confusion about a deadly virus he knows is real and spreading fast, which to me seems super evil.