Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I don’t hate Onslaught, but I’m fully aware it’s very much a time and place thing for me.

More specifically, the time and place are ’90s Finland. I started reading Marvel comics sometime in ’92, and at the time we had four monthly magazines, each issue consisting of three to four original US ones: X-Men and Spider-Man had their own books, and then there were two other catch-all ones where every issue would be about different characters. Both had incredibly unimaginative names; ”Marvel” featured stories about big things like Fantastic Four or Avengers (both group and various solos) and all things space and cosmic like The Infinity Gauntlet, while ”Sarjakuvalehti” (lit. ”Comic Book”) had a more down to earth tone with characters like Punisher and Daredevil. X-Men was my favorite from the beginning.

This all changed in the summer of ’96 when X-Men and Sarjakuvalehti were cancelled because of low sales, and the last X-Men story to be released in its own magazine here at the time would be Legion Quest. For the remainder of ’96 and all of ’97 a couple of issues of the ”Marvel” magazine would have X-men stories so we’d get a glimpse of things like AoA, but that was it.

On top of the monthly issues there would sometimes be various ”special issues” that would include one-shots and other things that couldn’t fit in the regular release schedule for whatever reason. In the spring of ’98 there was an X-Men Special that consisted of UXM #334, X-Men #54 and Onslaught X-Men #1 (I think; these magazines were very bad at noting the original issues so I’m just going by wikis here). As someone who was extremely disappointed when the original book was canceled, having this new X-Men story that was released as its own separate thing was incredibly exciting to me.

The Onslaught story would then be finished in the renamed ”Mega-Marvel” later on in ’98. The X-Men special was followed by other specials in ’99-’00 that went through some other stuff we’d missed, and then finally a relaunch of the standalone X-Men magazine in January 2001, this time every other month.

So to me Onslaught has never been ”the bad story that followed AoA”, it’s ”the story that brought the X-Men back”.

Veib fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU