Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

How Wonderful! posted:

Emplate rendezvous with Chamber's ex-girlfriend Gayle Edgerton in a lead-up to Gen X's underwhelming new incarnation of the Hellions

I wanted to expand on this a little because I reread it recently. This is also where we learn that Monet (or more likely, one of the twins) is Bishop's mother. With as disorganized as the writing of the time was, this was probably before the twins were created. I'm pretty sure that group of Hellions appeared just that one time and are then never mentioned again (presumably Emplate ate them).

The Gen X tie in to Onslaught itself is simultaneously wild and incredibly bad. IIRC Onslaught doesn't even put in an appearance and just gets mentioned after the fact to justify an 'Emma Frost Goes Crazy (again)' story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Angry Salami posted:

IIRC, Emplate's Hellions don't even get named that in story; which makes sense, given that there's absolutely no reason for them to be using that name.

I think it did on one of the covers? Where it gave their names (after half of them were already defeated). I don't even remember most of them. I think there was a belts-on-face guy who looked like a proto T-Ray, and some guy who turned himself into smoke?

I do remember that's the story where Monet and Marius were revealed to be brother and sister (it's Monet's big reveal to Bishop, something something Emplates in the future). It's the Penance/Hollow link that's still left up in the air, since Marius calls her Yvette that story and it started out with Emma getting a little glimpse of her history in some eastern European warzone that might have been in the news at the time. They really had no plans for Penny other than "bulletproof female Wolverine." :haw:

They just kept throwing more and more twists onto that family.

Edit: I can talk about the Gen-X tie in to Onslaught when it comes up. It's really bad.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 27, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

How Wonderful! posted:

But Bachalo's pencils and his inventive layouts sell the threat of the bad guys as well as the calmer down-time stuff. He really was a treasure on this book and I think he singlehandedly makes it worth reading.

When he's got an inker and colorist who understands Gen-X is a horror comic, Bachalo's art is just so strong. The art in those first half-dozen or so books is the reason why I still like Generation X in spite of all of its storytelling flaws.

I also really loved M-Plate's presentation as an explicitly nonbinary/androgynous entity as far beyond the concept of gender as they were beyond good and evil (and actively malevolent only on account of the latter, not the former). I wish we'd seen them in the early style; with the right inker Bachalo managed to make Hemingway look menacing and he was just a big dumb punchman.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Leech's power is really weird and inconsistent. It absolutely does affect big strong guys if their mutant power is "big and strong" and can even revert physical changes, but sometimes it just flat-out doesn't work. Hemmingway isn't the only one immune to it, Penance(Hollow) is too.