Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is fun since Jay and Miles have been (begrudgingly) covering this recently. Guess it's time to get Marvel Unlimited again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I finally got around to reading X-Men Prime this afternoon. That's certainly a ton of plots going in different directions, huh? When are we going to see Dennis on Krakoa?

Also I want Beast's sweatpants.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I miiiiiiiiiight still have my copy of the pre-release Generation X preview "comic" that might give some hints about what Lobdell was thinking for Monet. Unfortunately, I can't lift anything for at least a month, so I can't get to it to check.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BooDooBoo posted:

Is that the one that has "MONDO WILL BE IMPORTANT" and he never was?

I believe that is the one lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been reading through following this read order and I'm a bit ahead of this (it doesn't have the Gen X stuff, which I guess makes sense, even though the UXM side of the Gene Nation stuff is in there). There's a bunch of stuff in there that seems to be of spurious connection to this event, but I suppose I'll see how it goes. Like X-Men Annual '95 is a story about Mister Sinister having been in love. Will this matter? At all? I kind of doubt it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Read through X-Men: ClanDestine last night and they was some bad writing. Alan Davis certainly did what he could with what he had, but that couldn't save it. I need to check the credits, since there's one character who seems to change from Asian to Black between the two issues which could be attributed to a colorist change but that still seems like something the editors would catch. The weirdest thing was that everyone seems to react to everything as flatly as possible. Xavier is getting attacked by a tentacle demon and Storm's reaction is "The tentacles appear to be attacking Xavier." or something similar.

That said the ClanDestine characters seem pretty neat and I'd like to see more of them. I'll have to see if the miniseries is on Unlimited.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a good thing the X-Men follow FAA rules and file flight plans so Threnody could open FlightAware and see Gambit was going to Seattle, and not literally the entire country that's between Westchester and Seattle. Or places further west of Seattle!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As I continue to be ahead of How Wonderful!:

I read through Sabertooth Special #1 last night and it was pretty good! Written by Fabian Nicieza and pencils by Gary Frank. It picks up immediately after Uncanny X-Men #328, where we learn Sabertooth is fully healed from having his brain stabbed and is totally ready to murder everyone again. He escapes the mansion in Uncanny and makes his way to NYC and the Special is entirely the X-Men (the original five with a minor assist from Caliban) hunting him down. I won't claim to have read a ton of prior Sabertooth appearances, but this really drives home "Wolverine but way more vicious" in a way I wasn't expecting. He's smart, clever, and will do basically anything to get away, including not killing hostages knowing the X-Men are true to their word. After figuring out his plan is to take the train to the Massachusetts Academy and kill Generation X (I'm glad Sabertooth is a responsible commuter and didn't rent or steal a car), they do ultimately take him down, but not before Beast has some cracked ribs, Archangel's wings get damaged (apparently they can bleed!), and Sabertooth himself dies. Val Cooper takes custody of his body, which gets better and he's forced to be a member of X-Factor which I'm sure will go well for everyone involved!

Anyway, it's a solid done in one story that has little to do with Onslaught other than to put a piece where editorial wants it, but there's some good action set pieces, and it tells the story it needs to with minimal fluff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As I've been reading through this event following the read order above, which is the order presented in the trades by Marvel, it's abundantly clear that the trades are not in the right order. Uncanny X-Men dot net has a useful diagram that gives an idea of how things should be read (top down). The covers all have Phase or Impact 1 or 2 listed on them with the "Phase" books are the most important parts of the main narrative while the "Impact" ones are side stories based on the events happening elsewhere. In any case, the trades have these in weird orders so some 2 books show up before 1 books and big events that happened in other books aren't actually presented yet. A big one is Onslaught dropping a big EMP in the middle of NYC which they don't show until after characters are reacting to it. This sort of thing happens a number of times in the trade order.

It's also kind of funny to see things that are just straight editing issues. In Cable, Cable has to save X-Man by overusing his powers, letting the TO virus start taking over. In Cable, we see the effects of this, with his arm growing longer and spikier, and that side of his head growing some metal extensions - this isn't shown anywhere else. In another bit, the combined X-Men, Avengers, and F4 save Xavier from Onslaught's body, which triggers a physical change in Onslaught. In the next issue (which definitely takes place *after* this since it explicitly references Xavier being saved), he's back to his initial form. Also I caught an editor's note that was supposed to refer to X-Man, but said X-Men. Also whatever the hell happened here:

"Uh hey Bob? Uh we need to change these word bubbles?"
"So loving do it. Just like get a pen. Just change the word bubbles. Why I gotta tell everyone what to do? You'd think I was the editor or something!"

I also get the idea that in their scrambling to figure out exactly what Onslaught was, they never had anyone just like do a master drawing of how he looks. Most artists do a pretty good job of keeping on model, but no one seems to really have an idea what his head/helmet is supposed to look like. It ranges from basically just Magneto's helmet over a hidden face to him having a face where the opening was to a Magneto-like helmet, but much more distorted and sinister.

(If I don't need to use spoiler tags for a bad 25 year old crossover, let me know.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, having gotten through all that, there's basically nothing too important or even particularly interesting other than arguably setting some unimportant parts of the stage (like Sabertooth ending up in X-Factor, Psylocke getting a red face marking, and Wolverine losing his nose).

It is a bit interesting now that I'm getting into the other Marvel stuff to see the different creators. There's a Todd Dezago and Mike Weiringo issue of Sensational Spider-Man that's actually pretty fun! There's Mark Waid trying to do anything interesting at all in Avengers! There's Tom Defalco writing Tom Defalco comics! There's some Peter David Hulk where he does the Peter David event comic thing where he begrudgingly writes the event while keeping to his own story!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bulgaroctonus posted:

So if y’all are skipping the rest of the run up to Onslaught could someone please explain wtf happened to wolverine and his nose? Also, didn’t he have like no hands or hook hands at some point? I had completely noped out on modern comics by this point in my youth and started reading older and older stuff, but was aware from seeing the covers that things were getting weird.
I don't know anything about hook hands, but as far as his nose: he had his adamantium forcibly removed by Magneto back during the Fatal Attractions crossover. It was then revealed that he had bone claws, and then his healing factor became even more powerful (since he was no longer constantly repairing the damage caused by having metal bones). For some reason this also makes him a bit more feral, and he was angry that Sabertooth was living in the mansion so he decided to live outside in the woods surrounding the mansion.

In the run-up to Onslaught, Genesis, Cable's son who declared himself Apocalypse's successor, needs his own Four Horsemen, so he captures Wolverine after killing Cyber and harvesting his adamantium skin. He tries to redo the adamantium bonding on Wolverine's bones, but Wolverine rejects it, the pain and trauma of it turning him even more feral and animalistic which, for some reason, meant he stopped having a nose.

His nose eventually grew back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I *could* be wrong, but I think the psychic interference was actually Nate Grey appearing on Earth-616. Unfortunately, Marvel Unlimited is missing a bunch of issues of X-Man, but they talk about him pulling Xavier from the material plane into the astral plane, and Nate spends all of his appearances telling everyone he sees that Charles is really, really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

Sounds like those could have been nice to have in the Road to Onslaught TPBS since they sound like they certainly set us on a road to Onslaught, but sadly they had to make room for execrably stupid Terry Kavanagh X-Men Unlimited inventory stories.

It sure would since Onslaught specifically says he learned how to do it from that event when he does it to Jean early in the actual event.