Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

What's the general consensus on armybuilding anyway? Is it worth running pure infantry defensive armies to hold fronts and then 50/50 infantry/artillery for attacking or just build all of them with both to attack and defend as the situation demands? Is there any real difference between having an army with multiple lower level generals vs having one level 5 guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Radia posted:

if the victoria series is your poo poo victoria 3 has been the best yet since release

I would say that victoria 3 is not so much an upgrade to the victoria series than a new take on the period. Enjoying the previous games could affect your enjoyment in both good and bad ways so i would try it before buying. Personally i feel like the economy took too much space, but it seems like other parts are getting there too and its more of a disappointment in what vic 3 could have been, not that vic 2 did any of it better or at all.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just saw this thread and apparently Vicky3 has actually been released??? Long time EU4 player, how many years should I plan to wait before this game is actually playable? Or is it by some paradox miracle decent as is?

You're going to get varying answers. It's surprisingly good from an economics standpoint, with the glaring omission that there's no sphering and no foreign investment. This is coming with the next expansion later this summer. From a military standpoint, opinions are mixed. You fight wars on fronts and don't control troop movement directly from province to province, just from their home to the front. It reduces micro significantly, and I think its a very clever advancement, but it's not universally loved.

I love the game, coming from Vicky 2, and with the next expansion it will hit feature parity basically with Vicky 2 except with a much better baseline design.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's more than possible to win wars by dint of sheer infantry mass especially early on when artillery hasn't reached the lethality of later artillery. Switching to as much artillery and cavalry as possible makes it easier to keep casualties down though and they fight on the defensive pretty well especially with the later techs that replenish troop strength faster.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

victoria 3 is the best paradox game on launch, much like ck3 before it was the best paradox game on launch. it had many controversial decisions and it asked paradox game players to find "content" without just following series of bespoke event trees. it has a lot of issues and underexplored areas in its design, many of which are handled by mods, but we're also seeing a team interested in making large reworks and experimenting with different ideas much like stellaris, unsurprising with wiz in charge.

cannot wait until the new expansion!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
There's a reason why people made MEIOU and Taxes for EU4 and Sinews of War for CK3. People want the combination of 1) war which affects their population, 2) an economic situation that reflects their population changes, and 3) the chance to advance their country not just through external conquest but also by thoughtful investment and internal growth. Victoria is the epitome of this combination, and Vicky 3 has a very strong foundation reflecting all 3 goals. I played it when it first came out, checked in a few times after patches, and am waiting a little longer for sphering and foreign investment now.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

YF-23 posted:

The concept of a limited war is something these games need to toy around with more imo. HoI4 does it a little bit but I haven't been hands on with it more than once or twice.

HoI4 sort of has limited wars but the implementation is pretty bad, like a lot of the diplomatic mechanics in the game. For instance in the new expansion Uruguay can invade both Argentina and Brazil but once you take the state you were supposed to get, a janky event simultaneously imposes a white peace, annexes the state in question, and gives you the option to re-declare war. Unfortunately your units that have advanced far into Brazil or Argentina will become automatically cut off because all the territory they secured went back to your enemy after the white peace. It's a real mess and I hope Paradox can think it through a little more before adding it to other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

HoI4 sort of has limited wars but the implementation is pretty bad, like a lot of the diplomatic mechanics in the game. For instance in the new expansion Uruguay can invade both Argentina and Brazil but once you take the state you were supposed to get, a janky event simultaneously imposes a white peace, annexes the state in question, and gives you the option to re-declare war. Unfortunately your units that have advanced far into Brazil or Argentina will become automatically cut off because all the territory they secured went back to your enemy after the white peace. It's a real mess and I hope Paradox can think it through a little more before adding it to other games.

There's also the other limited wars, which basically only show up in historical China tree and involve ??? and ???, possibly with ???, of divs placed next to a DMZ.