Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That's a large delay, but I did think that 1.6 and 1.7 were releasing unusually close together so it makes sense.

A beta would be nice if they're worried about polish...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Paradox DLC has been awful lately and they've been rightfully getting dragged for it. Considering Vic3 is the weakest mainline title from them, I would hope they're going to put some extra effort into it so its reviews aren't dumpster fires like 90% of paradox's recent releases.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I don't know if PDX DLCs are bad lately. The patches are good, including Victoria 3 (shame about the performance though). EU4 flavor packs seem to be received well.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

people mald over every dlc release. the latest ck3 one was a bit poorly tuned, but is pretty good

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
They did however release Cities Skylines II in a significantly broken shape, and it's still not fully fixed. Non-PDS stuff has been quite a disaster with that and them basically killing HBS.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Publishing arm of Paradox is another story altogether. Hey have you all bought second DLC for Empire of Sin that Steam calls Expansion 2?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So what's the best way to manage trade? Say I want to encourage my industry to build clothes, but I'm getting a bunch of it already dumped on me by France, do I use my private queue to build the clothes anyway so their trade route shrinks? Or do I find someone to export clothes to and just hope my capitalists get the hint?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Was surprised the higher-ups allowed a delay that long, then realized it lines up pretty much perfectly with the end of fiscal Q2.

*whispering conspiratorially* followthemoney

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pylons posted:

So what's the best way to manage trade? Say I want to encourage my industry to build clothes, but I'm getting a bunch of it already dumped on me by France, do I use my private queue to build the clothes anyway so their trade route shrinks? Or do I find someone to export clothes to and just hope my capitalists get the hint?

Well, setting a high import tariff on clothing will help protect your clothing industry (but make things harder for your pops buying clothing).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pylons posted:

In this example why exactly do you want to stop France from exporting to you? Having cheap basic clothing is great, set your domestic clothing industry to produce as much luxury clothes as possible (import silk if needed) and then export it. Your clothing factories make tons of money, and your poor SOL goes up thanks to having cheap clothes

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the only way France exporting to you is bad is if their clothing surplus is so overpowering that it crashes your own clothing factories but in my experience the AI never builds enough surplus supply for that to be an issue

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Worry not Victorians, I have requested a SA forums ban for Wiz. He shall not escape the long arm of justice for penning out such a post.

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 15, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

RabidWeasel posted:

That's a large delay, but I did think that 1.6 and 1.7 were releasing unusually close together so it makes sense.

A beta would be nice if they're worried about polish...

I would hope that after 1.7, they take some time to address performance issues. But I guess it ultimately depends how sphere of influence is received. Dev diaries look good, but I’ve learned through CS2 and Vicky 3 that those can also leave *a lot* of important things bout.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I thought I was pretty good at this game but boy was I sleeping on Offer Support during another country's diplomatic play. Was this buffed recently? I've gained more infamy-free land in my current Germany game from joining the UK's colonial wars than through regular conquest. Even when they won't give up any subjects or provinces they'll usually offer five ten years of bankrolling even for joining in against complete nobodies or small rebellions, which is a huge amount of free money.

What really seems busted is offering support during civil wars. I vassalized transvaal by joining their rebels and Italy by offering to fight their rebels for them. Infamy free! Even joining plays for regular full-infamy war goals can be way better than doing it normally. I offered to join Siam in a random war against Dai Nam and they accepted in return for my vassalizing Dai Nam. I had to pay the infamy cost but if I tried to attack Dai Nam directly China, France and bunch of other countries would probably dogpile me. If I do it through Siam they aren't even mad, and I only have to mobilize enough troops to put Siam over the top.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 16, 2024

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

"Offer Support" is basically broken and I only use it when it makes sense, i.e. not when the war you're being invited to is clearly already a slam dunk for the side you're supporting. As to why the AI is incapable of realising that there's no way it can possible lose most of these wars, who knows.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Bankroll is very broken in offer support. you can get 20% of a major power's income for 10 years, it starts as soon as the war start, and i don't think it matters if you win the war.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I think the delay makes a lot of sense,

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

is it really Victoria if a major patch doesn't have more bugs than an anthill tho?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Agean90 posted:

is it really Victoria if a major patch doesn't have more bugs than an anthill tho?

lol

I am hoping they stick the landing here. It’s a shame this is (apparently) one of their less popular titles because, out of all the titles I’ve played, this is the one that emphasizes the things I like most and deemphasizes the things I like least. I really don’t want it to be put into maintenance mode the same way that one imperator rome game was.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Sad about the delay, but it's now the week after my school year ends so I can live with that. Wasn't going to have time to play it until then anyway.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's a few days before Dawntrail and I was hoping to use that time to get mad at another Paradox game, alas.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

lol

I am hoping they stick the landing here. It’s a shame this is (apparently) one of their less popular titles because, out of all the titles I’ve played, this is the one that emphasizes the things I like most and deemphasizes the things I like least. I really don’t want it to be put into maintenance mode the same way that one imperator rome game was.

I think they already had a pretty good understanding that V3 was gonna be pretty niche going in. It's always been the Paradox series that the real freaks were into, so the fact that it hasn't sold as well as CK3 likely has not taken them by surprise.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think any game they make sells as well as ck3, mostly because ck3 is more character focused than any of their other games and that opens it up to a different audience. Playing as the nation of no longer exists past 1700 is going to attract a more niche audience than being able to do royal bastard hijinks

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Agean90 posted:

I don't think any game they make sells as well as ck3, mostly because ck3 is more character focused than any of their other games and that opens it up to a different audience. Playing as the nation of no longer exists past 1700 is going to attract a more niche audience than being able to do royal bastard hijinks

If you judge buy the forums of old, Victoria 2 had a big meme presence too. I remember a lot of posts in the style of "Papal states are communists and have a special flag lol". Now you see a lot of posts about the fate of Marx and Freud, but to me it doesn't feel that attractive for a new player cause it's something that happens in parallel to the game unlike weird geopolitical situations you can observe in the making and influence.

Then again I'm not sure you can make any decision based on what caught people's attention. If you go to a Stellaris subreddit at any point of time there will always be a post about Covfefe system someone discovered today, it probably doesn't bring new players.

Anyway I hope V3 gets all attention it needs. SoI DLC looks like it walks a fine balance between providing cool DLC features and not feeling like you have to pay for a part of the patch. I understand lately the patches for Paradox games became much more consumer-friendly and people have been asking why do they need accompanying DLCs, and here I don't have this question.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

This might be common knowledge and I've just been missing out but setting a fixed FPS (either 30 or 60) and turning off V-Sync seems to give a solid performance boost. I wasn't expecting this as my graphics card never goes under a reasonable amount of load while playing V3 so it's presumably some kind of engine issue but I'm willing to have a slightly uglier game in exchange for more speed.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ilitarist posted:

I don't know if PDX DLCs are bad lately. The patches are good, including Victoria 3 (shame about the performance though). EU4 flavor packs seem to be received well.

When the next EU4 DLC rolls up it'll be the third in a row I haven't bought (yet..). It's a weird feeling, but it's great to have DLC that improves specific areas on the map, instead of shoehorning in more mechanical bloat you don't want, but also kinda need for the game to function.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

That's why I'm worried. I think these DLCs look great, and I'm also not really interested in King of Kings DLC or the one that comes out soon, because there are so many countries I'm interested in playing already. This all means I can more readily recommend buying the base versions of Paradox games (which I couldn't do with EU4 and you know why), but I'm worried about reprecussions.

All in all, in any case it may result in more short-lived but better games. The idea that every DLC has to bring some important gameplay features for everybody and also you can have any combination of DLCs enabled probably was a nightmare for designers and developers too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hellioning posted:

It's a few days before Dawntrail and I was hoping to use that time to get mad at another Paradox game, alas.

Same but also Elden Ring expansion.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

why

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Egpyt and the Ottomans seemingly always commit atrocities with their borders.

Also Turkey has states with really weird shapes that become apparent if Egypt or another power snags even one.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

turks getting a taste of their own medicine

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

bc the ai don't have an inverse desire weighting multiplier for regions n regions away from their own, nor one for bordering n owned incorporated regions. Shits equally lootable

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Wouldn't this province have 0% market access?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Wouldn't this province have 0% market access?

Yep.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also yeah the AI definitely seems way too willing to give other countries concessions in exchange for war support. Here's the UK offering me Newfoundland in exchange for helping them deal with a colonial rebellion that doesn't even have an army. That "overwhelming military power" penalty should probably be at least -100.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

This might be common knowledge and I've just been missing out but setting a fixed FPS (either 30 or 60) and turning off V-Sync seems to give a solid performance boost. I wasn't expecting this as my graphics card never goes under a reasonable amount of load while playing V3 so it's presumably some kind of engine issue but I'm willing to have a slightly uglier game in exchange for more speed.

It "feels" faster but I'm not about to bust out a stopwatch and try to time week ticks with the settings on and off. I'm gunna take the advice and enjoy the placebo real or otherwise.

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Also yeah the AI definitely seems way too willing to give other countries concessions in exchange for war support. Here's the UK offering me Newfoundland in exchange for helping them deal with a colonial rebellion that doesn't even have an army. That "overwhelming military power" penalty should probably be at least -100.

Are there many other powerful countries still undecided in the play? From my readings the defines, the AI should get a -25 adjustment per multiple of the opponent's strength they have beyond double strength. So here a -10 adjustment would come from Britain thinking they have 2.4x the strength of the rebels. However, undecided countries are weighed as being on both sides at 25% strength. Assuming the rebellion's side has actually 0 strength we can solve for X and see that Britain thinks its side has 35% the strength of all the undecided countries combined.

Also it also seems based on the comments that you're not supposed to get an acceptance bonus from your own military power at all once the AI considers their power to be overwhelming but it's kind of ambiguous. That part might be bugged.

ETA: I agree that the AI shouldn't accept this trade, just explaining how it might be perceiving the situation. There also doesn't seem to be any accounting for how much the AI stands to win or lose in the war.

CrypticTriptych fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 17, 2024

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

CrypticTriptych posted:

Are there many other powerful countries still undecided in the play? From my readings the defines, the AI should get a -25 adjustment per multiple of the opponent's strength they have beyond double strength. So here a -10 adjustment would come from Britain thinking they have 2.4x the strength of the rebels. However, undecided countries are weighed as being on both sides at 25% strength. Assuming the rebellion's side has actually 0 strength we can solve for X and see that Britain thinks its side has 35% the strength of all the undecided countries combined.

Also it also seems based on the comments that you're not supposed to get an acceptance bonus from your own military power at all once the AI considers their power to be overwhelming but it's kind of ambiguous. That part might be bugged.

ETA: I agree that the AI shouldn't accept this trade, just explaining how it might be perceiving the situation. There also doesn't seem to be any accounting for how much the AI stands to win or lose in the war.

You are correct that this is because of undecided countries but also that this really shouldn't happen. It's on my radar to try to fix properly for 1.7.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Wiz posted:

You are correct that this is because of undecided countries but also that this really shouldn't happen. It's on my radar to try to fix properly for 1.7.

This kind of ruins the joy of engaging with the sways system because it's so exploitable even if you're not trying to abuse it, so a fix would be extremely appreciated.

The other thing which is (presumably unintentionally) super-exploitable along similar lines is invading a random colony to force GPs to give you war reparations / recognition. The Guianas are a great example of this, you can just drop a 30 stack of line infantry in there in the early game and the AI will never successfully dislodge you in time to avoid being capitulated. I can see forcing a limited exchange of territory like this, but having it extend to war goals which conceptually should require outright defeating the enemy seems really wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Recognition isn't really supposed to require an "outright defeat" - if a GP fights a previously unrecognized nation to a draw/can't defend its colonies, that looks very bad for the GP who was expected to win easily. The Russo-Japanese war (which is pretty much the entire basis for the recognition system) largely took place around Korea. It's more of an AI issue where they should be able to handle these conflicts but can't, although there is also an issue where if the AI was strong enough to face down these kinds of threats it would be extremely difficult to ever win recognition and you would spend most of the game just sitting around waiting for a GP to kind of collapse on its own so you can kick them while they're down.