Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I’m only seeing a performance malus, but I haven’t really restarted the client in those runs I tried. I’ll give it a shot next time I give it a go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm hoping PDX sticks the landing with the Sphere of Influence DLC. I've kind of my had my expectations tempered with Paradox lately. I enjoyed V3 but I felt like I spent too much of the game watching buildings being built, so hopefully this adds in some more gameplay for emerging/great powers.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

restarting the game about once an hour helps

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I decided to finally play through a whole V3 game as Lower Canada and it was going pretty well for me (currently an anarchist commune with a GDP of like 110M, still a Dominion of the British Empire though), but at some point I noticed Idaho (a province of Canada) was largely Portuguese

So I took a look at what was up with Portugal. It turned out there was some massive exodus from Portugal, leaving only 700k Portuguese people in Portugal. Meanwhile, the Belgian province of Flanders had like 3.4 million

I haven't played too much Victoria 3 and this is my first game that is going into the 1930s but are these kinds of giant population transfers common for others?

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 13, 2024

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

There is a gag about Portugal's greatest export being people but oof that seems a bit much.

They've reworked migration so I don't think anyone has a real good idea of what a typical outcome looks like for it in this patch. There were people (on the Paradox forums?) talking about it being too low or basically non-existent, so this is interesting.

But to start a broader conversation, has there ever been any patch of any Paradox game with migration where migration hasn't been busted in some regard? I feel like it's always a problem. Maybe not in Imperator (mass slave transfers tend to drown out migration in that game lol).

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Victoria: 21 years of migration not working and counting

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Mass migration is much, much stronger in 1.6, I don't think it's 1.0 levels but it's definitely a big deal again

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I'm in the 1920s on my 1.6.2 game and it's randomly pausing, unpausing, pausing, and then eventually stopping on one. don't know if anyone else has run into this.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
ty for the confirmation that I didn't miss some fun disaster event in Portugal in my game! :)

Also I'm still trying to wrap my head around the overall meta for Victoria 3, is it generally a good or bad idea to suck up to countries like Britain to join their markets if you're playing as a smaller European nation (i.e. the Papal States)? It would obviously mean you couldn't offer customs unions to other nations, and would potentially be risky if your overlord ever got tired of your poo poo or lost its access to a resource that was important to you, but as Lower Canada it was pretty convenient to get my own access to stuff like silk that and it never really seemed to have downsides

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 14, 2024

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I just had a war end like 4 months after I declared it without accepting a peace offer, also my troops wouldn't attack for some reason?

burnishedfume posted:

ty for the confirmation that I didn't miss some fun disaster event in Portugal in my game! :)

Also I'm still trying to wrap my head around the overall meta for Victoria 3, is it generally a good or bad idea to suck up to countries like Britain to join their markets if you're playing as a smaller European nation (i.e. the Papal States)? It would obviously mean you couldn't offer customs unions to other nations, and would potentially be risky if your overlord ever got tired of your poo poo or lost its access to a resource that was important to you, but as Lower Canada it was pretty convenient to get my own access to stuff like silk that and it never really seemed to have downsides

Being in a big CU is usually good, it means you don't have to source all the different input goods for your factories, and you can overproduce goods which you're good at making due to higher market demand.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Depends on the when and the who. Getting your pops siphoned off can suck if that's possible, but being able to leapfrog over a couple building loops and be pseudo-20 years ahead so you can specialize for big $$$ flow and backfill as you blob can be very optimal as well. The hard thing is the lack of a good interface to really be able to tell what you'd need to build up to not crash when preparing for leaving a market.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

burnishedfume posted:

Getting access to a big market early on can speed up your building and industrialization a lot, particularly in those crucial early years. Getting that ball rolling early can be a big advantage.

The biggest disadvantage is that if the market leader's convoys are getting raided, everyone else in the customs union is cut off from the market, since all market traffic passes through the market leader's capital. If your market leader gets caught in a nasty hellwar that drags on for a while without a clear resolution, you can lose access to basically all goods for the duration, wrecking your economy. There are a couple of other potential issues that can crop up, depending on the balance between your economy and laws and those of the market leader, but they're much less of a big deal than that.

As a result, I'll usually aim to leave the customs union after a while, but that's usually tricky because first you have to build up production capacity for all the stuff you were relying on the larger market for, or cut demand for what you can't reliably source on your own.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing I wish the game had is an option to change the production/consumption numbers to just your own nation when in a customs union. It's easy to lose track of all the stuff your independent market would have/need and being able to get a preview of what it would be like if you left the CU would be helpful in preparing for it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I wish the game had is an option to change the production/consumption numbers to just your own nation when in a customs union. It's easy to lose track of all the stuff your independent market would have/need and being able to get a preview of what it would be like if you left the CU would be helpful in preparing for it.

In my next runs I will be joining a CU eventually because now I know that's how you really get the migration numbers juiced, but yeah it still sucks that there's no way to suss out your own personal GDP while in a CU.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

I just had a war end like 4 months after I declared it without accepting a peace offer, also my troops wouldn't attack for some reason?

There are race conditions in diplomacy that can lead to these kinds of things. Sometimes some safety checks seem to fail in narrow timing, allowing plays that are impossible to resolve.

Somehow reloading the game usually white peaces them, I have no clue how and why exactly but I had it happen a couple times.

Speed reference, playing on bootcamp on a 2016 MBP that does not even support win11, performance got worse with the latest patch. Not that the game ever run decently on this brick.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

There are race conditions in diplomacy that can lead to these kinds of things. Sometimes some safety checks seem to fail in narrow timing, allowing plays that are impossible to resolve.

It was a regular conquest war against a country I bordered and we had a front, very weird situation I've never seen before.

Has anyone noticed a significant difference in European GP wars / diplomacy this patch? I've seen a few things I've never seen before across several games such as France and Prussia being allies against Austria, Russia being antagonistic towards Austria on several occasions (they were allies in almost all of my previous games) and Russia declaring war on the Ottomans while they were at war with Egypt (this was definitely two wars, not a sway).

E: I had a realisation that the reason why I'm constantly having problems with powerful Devout in the early game is because my play pattern generally focuses on going for Census Suffrage ASAP, as my first voting law if possible. This is something which worked out pre-1.5 because it boosts intelligensia power significantly, but because the intelligensia are much less influential as a baseline now, CS actually pushes up the Devout into a real threat (since clergy have high education access so they benefit disproportionately from the votes from CS)

I'm not sure which is best out of landed or wealth voting in this situation, probably wealth since peasants don't get to vote at all under that system vs. getting a tiny vote share under landed voting; also, wealth voting seems to generally generate better government configurations though it can also result in unbreakable industrialist dominance after a while

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 14, 2024

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
New patch just hit

quote:

BugFixes
- Fixed CTD related to graphics and UI
- Fixed a crash that could occur when browsing different countries' census data
- Fixed an issue where South American cultures would spam the error log with errors, causing performance impact
- Fixed several possible errors caused by Garibaldi
- Fixed multiple miscellaneous script errors
- The River of Coffee journal entry will now fail properly if Brazil joins another market.
- Fixed bug where migration in a market would almost entirely stop if a culture in that market had no states it could migrate to (most often due to migration laws like Closed Borders)
- Fixed the mix up of Radicals/Loyalists sort buttons in the Census Data to sort on the correct value.
- Re-added the Ongoing Diplomatic Actions (bankroll, improve/damage relations) to the outliner based on player feedback.
- Fixed an issue where errors in Women's Suffrage modifiers could cause massive late-game slowdowns
- Fixed an issue where revolutions would cause error spam
- Fixed a missed scope in the Art Noveau event
- Fixed a bug where AI participants in Diplomatic Plays may compute the worth of its sways incorrectly
- Fixed a case where Call In Obligation sway might not clear the obligation
- Fixed a bug where an event script may cause error logging if Paraguay ceases to exist
- Embargoes are now possible at poor-and-lower relations
- Fixed a crash that could happen after starting a diplomatic play
- Fixed a bug in commander order script causing irrelevant error log spam when recruiting commanders
- Fixed a bug where the investment pool could tap into the treasury to cover private constructions if the country had a very long construction queue
- Fixed a bug where military formation map markers could show the wrong number of battalions if moving around the map while the game was paused
- Fixed a broken localization key in Japanese

AI
- AI will no longer disable Mobilization Options that have a cost (in Organization, Morale, etc) associated with them on a mobilized army, since in a fluctuating market this could lead to repeated toggling with disastrous results

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Seems like a pretty good patch; addresses the migration bug, the private construction bug, the "AI keeps turning mobilisation options on and off" behaviour, returns the handy AI relations improvement part of the outlier, and a bunch of other potential performance harming script issues

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-108-sphere-of-influence-and-1-7-overview.1630240/

New dev diary looks very ambitious, but man, that's some major enhancements. Capitalists owning things in other states feels pretty obvious in hindsight, but it's gonna be a big deal, I bet.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Capfalcon posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-108-sphere-of-influence-and-1-7-overview.1630240/

New dev diary looks very ambitious, but man, that's some major enhancements. Capitalists owning things in other states feels pretty obvious in hindsight, but it's gonna be a big deal, I bet.

Nationalizing their stuff and having a Lobby form in the imperial core immediately to pull you into their Power Bloc and force a government change on you is going to be funny. I hope there's a message for what the chances are that a Foreign Lobby gets generated.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I just finished my first ever Germany game, a couple of notes.
-getting the entire research tree achievement was rough, even with my research being capped all game long. I squeezed it out with like 4 months to spare
- man is it frustrating seeing all those sweet sweet rubber and oil provinces being undeveloped by your subjects! Looking forward to the upcoming patch.
- I didn’t get the 1 billion gdp cheevo because I didn’t respect what 100 infamy meant. Spending the last 10 years in hell wars vs my old french allies, and then the brits, really hampered my late game

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

"capped" research is a lie, build one gigantic university and ride it to the tech moon, always be researching ahead of time so you can maximise your tech spread

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah capped research is poorly named, any excess you make gets shoved right into your tech spread so straining your paper supply as far as it'll go is recommended

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

You also want a few universities in other regions where you need pops with education for jobs though, right? Otherwise build a university to the moon in your capital/most populous province?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Gort posted:

New patch just hit

Fixed several possible errors caused by Garibaldi

Harsh but fair description of Italy

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

HannibalBarca posted:

lmao

NoModsNoMasters69
May 17, 2023
the new hot patch fixed everything and I'm having a whale of a time. I guess complaining on this dead gay forum still works!

the dev diary makes the expansion look amazing. please, I get angry because I love this game so much, if you guys just fix performance, foreign affairs, and then add flavor everywhere, this could be the perfect game!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I only played one game of 1.6.2 so far and I felt like there wasn't a significant performance increase, but I was kind of double guessing myself so I loaded up a new game I started this morning (currently in 1838) and compared it to yesterday's game (got to 1860). The new game ran at almost exactly 2 seconds per week while the 1860 game was 2.15 seconds per week, which seems fine.

I think the reason why the game felt "slow" while I was playing yesterday is I'm used to playing less aggressively but I have been chaining war decs nonstop and micromanaging truce timers which feels pretty tedious (p.s. I wish there was a way to make these show more prominently on the UI). Also it's an African start so the tech situation is total garbage which means you spend a lot of time just building government admins and logging camps

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Gort posted:

- Fixed a bug where an event script may cause error logging if Paraguay ceases to exist

Didn't know that Paraguay existence is load bearing for the simulation.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I just played my 3rd game, as the US (first game as Japan just making industry, second Sweden adding colonization to the mix) and the army management is already pissing me off. Started a war against Mexico for the rest of Texas (got a mirror demand from them), my army was slightly smaller but higher quality (60 vs 70, higher tech and like 25 arty). At the beginning my army slowly pushed through Texas, giving me ticking warscore, but as soon as they finished, they decided to detach themselves from the front and slowly walk to Oregon. Before I noticed what had happened and attached them to the proper front again, Mexico conquered the whole state and I couldn't push them back in time before they forced their demands on me.

EDIT: Also at the beginning of the game I annexed Indian territory, which somehow caused me to not being able to colonize South Dakota? It claimed a few chunks and then decided that nah that's good and I couldn't force it to restart, despite every state around it being gobbled up without a problem.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 16, 2024

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Wiz on pdx forum posted:

1RepMax posted:

Will the initial ownership of a building level upon construction depend at all on who paid for the construction?

It always struck me as odd that the government pays all the construction (which, up until now at least, was the only real capital investment into the building) and then (depending on your laws) a bunch of private entities got the benefits of ownership. I know that's how real life works to some extent (i.e. if "construction costs" is an abstract representation of the public spending that enables business to happen in the first place, not to mention flat out government handouts for industry) but it just felt bad to see investment and ownership so divorced from each other in a game that is very much about the rise of capitalism as a global system.

This is correct. Government-built becomes government-owned and can then be made available for privatization (or in the case of LF, *has* to be put up for privatization).

Very good! With this construction is still an abstraction but one that makes sense in the game's economic logic and won't stand out as being so obviously abstract.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

mmkay posted:

I just played my 3rd game, as the US (first game as Japan just making industry, second Sweden adding colonization to the mix) and the army management is already pissing me off. Started a war against Mexico for the rest of Texas (got a mirror demand from them), my army was slightly smaller but higher quality (60 vs 70, higher tech and like 25 arty). At the beginning my army slowly pushed through Texas, giving me ticking warscore, but as soon as they finished, they decided to detach themselves from the front and slowly walk to Oregon. Before I noticed what had happened and attached them to the proper front again, Mexico conquered the whole state and I couldn't push them back in time before they forced their demands on me.

EDIT: Also at the beginning of the game I annexed Indian territory, which somehow caused me to not being able to colonize South Dakota? It claimed a few chunks and then decided that nah that's good and I couldn't force it to restart, despite every state around it being gobbled up without a problem.

They have been "fixing" this problem since launch, and warfare is still one of the worst aspects of this game

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

HannibalBarca posted:

Username/post combo checks out.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh wow government-funded buildings entering play as government owned is a huge change, worrying about profitability in your building choices would matter significantly more. Could fund early industrialization before your capitalist class really takes off by maintaining profitable government enterprises (although slowing down the growth of your capitalists and their increased Investment Pool efficiency ofc), which I think is a much better fit for how non-LF governments actually industrialized in this period. The state monopoly on vodka funding a significant chunk of the entire Russian state, that sort of thing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It's cool how the devs seem to have taken the opportunity to use the introduction of foreign investment to also try to address a bunch of other complaints about how the game is unrealistic or lacks variety. Sounds like there will be a major difference between LF and interventionism now rather than LF broadly being better

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Yeah the changes are very interesting. I actually recommend that people try the mod "Foreign Investment and dividend", and notably search for the "light" version from another author that disables it for AI nations. The mod allows you to get a taste of what's to come!

Basically, the author has managed to jury-rig the game in an impressive way to allow you to own shares of prod buildings in another countries. This changes the meta completely, as I am now playing spain with wealth voting, a monarch, state religion & national supremacy on. I am not conquering land at all for myself, instead I protectorate & puppet countries from all across the world and build key resource facilities like rubber plantations and oil wells and poo poo there. The mod spawns a stock market building in your capital (if you sre USA move capital to New York before investing in foreign countries.)

The stock market building employs capitalists and clerks (after you have free trade or protectionism) and they get profits from buildings abroad according to share proportions. Honestly, if Paradox doesn't completely gently caress this up SOI is going to be amazing as I am having a blast with this janky mod.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What should I look for when deciding if I should move my capital? Population and any good modifiers if I have any?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'd say the most important thing is population, and a close second is presence of resources, especially coal, iron and lumber.

I usually end up putting my capital into the biggest state I own which also has a solid coal + iron industry

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
It can also be helpful to not have your capital on the coast, if only because that makes it easier to not get naval invaded. Of course, you lose out on infrastructure from ports, so that's a downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013
It's a really long shot but I'm hoping that SoI having building levels split between privatized and nationalized means other production methods can also be split.