Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

FalloutGod posted:

What is the trick with small nations? I feel like I barely do anything for the first 40 years and that can't be "correct". Is it just about conquering all the nations with out standing armies on the map to grow the GDP with peasants?

Generally a small nation will run into the two major bottlenecks faster than larger ones and those are: population to staff industry and (access to) resources to feed industry. So yeah, scooping up some populous yet weak nations is typically a good play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

FalloutGod posted:

What is the trick with small nations? I feel like I barely do anything for the first 40 years and that can't be "correct". Is it just about conquering all the nations with out standing armies on the map to grow the GDP with peasants?

The "meta" (ugh) is to get enough troops to beat up your neighbors, get a coast and some boats, then steal Transvaal, Oranje and Brunei ASAP, yes.

If you're playing something like Indian Territory where you're landlocked and all your neighbors are considerably stronger than you then you need to find a friend, probably one named Victoria, and do a lot of restarts. In general Vicky 3 isn't a great game for playing an OPM-equivalent: you're going to either be bored or eat a lot of cheese.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

FalloutGod posted:

"Small" goes down a long way, there's a difference between Wallachia (over 2m population, European, has decent tech) and some of the really bad countries like minors in Yemen with less than 100k population and no tech.

Generally speaking conquering those armyless tiny states does very little for your economy but sometimes that's all you can do

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

sometimes the country is just hosed from the start by material conditions with their highest possible aspiration being a 2nd tier power in some other countries power bloc and that's okay

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
If you’re in South America, you’re basically going to have a ton of permanently-angry indigenous pops (big issue as Bolivia/Peru-Bolivia) who can’t get qualifications or a decent SoL because they’re discriminated against.

Then you go straight from that to having more migrants than you can create jobs for!

It’s perfectly fiiiiiine. But all in all, not very hard.

Brazil has these issues less, but is instead cursed with Pedro Points(TM) and a bunch of fiddly JEs.

Kurgarra Queen fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 4, 2024

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MatchaZed posted:

New Dev Diary

Updates on subject interaction, liberty desire, the ability to force a subject to form their own market away from yours if they're hurting the economy, better ability to impose law changes on subjects, etc.
I love this so much.

So economic dependence lowers liberty desire. Low liberty desire allows integration.

If you somehow find yourself overlord of a small resource rich state- something you just want some industrially useful raw goods out of- you can not only directly develop those raw materials that aren't directly useful to the people of that country like sulfur or whatever, you can also tank the price of grain in your market by overproducing it and subsidizing it in your country. This means that the subsistence farmers will want to move into the sulfur mines, and the country will slowly stop producing its own grain. And this means that their "economic dependence" score will keep going up as they'd face a huge shortage of staple goods if they ever broke away. And that means you'll be able to justify integrating them even further. All because you're flooding their market with artificially cheap bread.

In other words, this new system should allow you to wage a conquest of bread.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

FalloutGod posted:

Depends a lot on how small a country it is and what part of the globe you're in, but the early game for anyone that doesn't start rich and highly populated does tend to involve a fair amount of "conquering pretty much anyone you think you can take, in order to secure population, resources, and money for your eventual industrialization".

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Vizuyos posted:

Depends a lot on how small a country it is and what part of the globe you're in, but the early game for anyone that doesn't start rich and highly populated does tend to involve a fair amount of "conquering pretty much anyone you think you can take, in order to secure population, resources, and money for your eventual industrialization".

Ah, you mean the primitive accumulation of capital in a pre-industrialized society? Once again art imitating historical materialism

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLEXLwGbwTI

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Amphibious landings 101: don't make your horses swim.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I know that a lot of expenses scale with the size of the economy to make the decision impactful, but it's silly when some expenses aren't capped. Right now I'm spending 273,400 pounds per week on an expedition. I'm not quite sure what they're spending all that money on, but the forts they build had better be built out of solid gold bricks.

Edit: Despite having enough money to fund an army of roughly 1,000,000 soldiers, they somehow managed to lose a fight to a bear. They do know that they could have brought enough artillery to flatten the mountains in the area, right?

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 6, 2024

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Dirk the Average posted:

I know that a lot of expenses scale with the size of the economy to make the decision impactful, but it's silly when some expenses aren't capped. Right now I'm spending 273,400 pounds per week on an expedition. I'm not quite sure what they're spending all that money on, but the forts they build had better be built out of solid gold bricks.

Edit: Despite having enough money to fund an army of roughly 1,000,000 soldiers, they somehow managed to lose a fight to a bear. They do know that they could have brought enough artillery to flatten the mountains in the area, right?

Listen, it was a really big bear, and

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

99% of the money got spent on advertising and marketing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
It's definitely one of those points where either the total cost should be capped, or you should more or less be able to send enough folks along that there is no conceivable way to fail.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't get why expeditions should scale with income at all tbh, it should just cost a certain amount to do one. Though fleshing out the mechanic so you could run an expensive expedition to try to get better results could possibly be interesting

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

it should be a cost calculated as the distance from your market capital, plus the distance from your closest holding

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I had a really fun game over the weekend as a released-in-1836 Zanzibar (start in debug mode, event kill sultan) but I kind of stopped enjoying it when I researched steel-frame buildings and realised that I didn't have a single source of lead in my entire country which stretched from Ethiopia to what was previously the Cape Colony so my ability to produce huge amounts of glass for construction was heavily restricted

Like, I get that there's reasons why Africa is so short on resources in some areas but to be stuck needing to go conquer some specific region to produce lead because it's the missing ingredient in the production chain I need to make buildings just feels wrong. Although this isn't an Africa-specific issue, lead in general is weirdly one of the rarest resources on the map. It's only slightly more common than sulphur, the difference is that you don't need it in anything more than small quantities until you hit steel-framed buildings.

I guess that there is actually a reason to conquer Yemen, a state which I always figured was totally useless for anything other than scraping together a few Arabic pops.

I'll remember this game fondly for a long time because it's probably the earliest I've ever managed to successfully kick a GP out of a major region of Africa, I conquered Kenya (and the horrible tendil they were sending into Equatoria since I cut them off from most of the Rift Valley) and South Africa from the UK in the same war, thanks to France accepting a bribe of some land I didn't need. Also it had the first AI-formed Ethiopia I've seen for absolutely ages, France totally failed to push into North Africa, and the USA was the major European presence in Central Africa with West Africa being goddamn thunderdome (getting in on this action was next on my to do list)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

RabidWeasel posted:

I had a really fun game over the weekend as a released-in-1836 Zanzibar (start in debug mode, event kill sultan) but I kind of stopped enjoying it when I researched steel-frame buildings and realised that I didn't have a single source of lead in my entire country which stretched from Ethiopia to what was previously the Cape Colony so my ability to produce huge amounts of glass for construction was heavily restricted

Like, I get that there's reasons why Africa is so short on resources in some areas but to be stuck needing to go conquer some specific region to produce lead because it's the missing ingredient in the production chain I need to make buildings just feels wrong. Although this isn't an Africa-specific issue, lead in general is weirdly one of the rarest resources on the map. It's only slightly more common than sulphur, the difference is that you don't need it in anything more than small quantities until you hit steel-framed buildings.

I guess that there is actually a reason to conquer Yemen, a state which I always figured was totally useless for anything other than scraping together a few Arabic pops.

I'll remember this game fondly for a long time because it's probably the earliest I've ever managed to successfully kick a GP out of a major region of Africa, I conquered Kenya (and the horrible tendil they were sending into Equatoria since I cut them off from most of the Rift Valley) and South Africa from the UK in the same war, thanks to France accepting a bribe of some land I didn't need. Also it had the first AI-formed Ethiopia I've seen for absolutely ages, France totally failed to push into North Africa, and the USA was the major European presence in Central Africa with West Africa being goddamn thunderdome (getting in on this action was next on my to do list)

i know this wont be completely satisfying, but using the PM that uses both wood and lead, combined with lead imports, should let you scale up glass production fine?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Radia posted:

i know this wont be completely satisfying, but using the PM that uses both wood and lead, combined with lead imports, should let you scale up glass production fine?

It's not really a problem, it was just enough on top of the cripplingly slow game speed to make me call it a day and also get mad that there's no lead anywhere within my ludicrously gigantic country

But also the sheer amount of glass you need to poo poo out to make steel framed buildings work means that using the less productive PMs really hurts

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah some manual surveying for resources you need and have in some quantities in your country but weren't extracted at the time because they didn't make sense economically for powers not in your area would be nice. Can even give them some malus to production so its not an I-win so much as a holdover on your quest for a better source

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

RabidWeasel posted:

It's not really a problem, it was just enough on top of the cripplingly slow game speed to make me call it a day and also get mad that there's no lead anywhere within my ludicrously gigantic country

But also the sheer amount of glass you need to poo poo out to make steel framed buildings work means that using the less productive PMs really hurts

yeah, I’m a little bummed because I’ve had some campaigns that were still both fun and challenging into the 1890s, but the game speed made it too tedious to power through

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Paradox paradox

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

After a revolt, which gave away my capital province to rebels for free with no way to prevent it because lol, it permanently lost all market access after being retaking and the "war" was won. It's has more than enough infrastructure and ports. It just isn't connected anymore. 0 market access. Why? Who knows? Maybe it is yet another game mechanic where you need to wait 10+ years before anything happens?

What do people do when "playing" this by the way? I've listened to videos, streams, podcasts, music and done so much reading.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
What the heck is making my GPU fan spin up when I zoom in and what can I do to stop it? :^|

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Poil posted:

After a revolt, which gave away my capital province to rebels for free with no way to prevent it because lol, it permanently lost all market access after being retaking and the "war" was won. It's has more than enough infrastructure and ports. It just isn't connected anymore. 0 market access. Why? Who knows? Maybe it is yet another game mechanic where you need to wait 10+ years before anything happens?

What do people do when "playing" this by the way? I've listened to videos, streams, podcasts, music and done so much reading.

Capital provinces very much do not go to rebels. They can take every single other province but the capital. So I'm not sure how that happened.

The market access is either a bug (try quitting out and reloading) or your convoys slowly recovering from getting raided assuming there was a naval fight.

And yes Vicky 3 is very much a podcast game for me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
is this stupid dlc coming out soon or what i wanna play already

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

buglord posted:

right? I've barely even touched 1.6 since why bother when the fundamental gameplay is about to get a giant pivot

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

right? I've barely even touched 1.6 since why bother when the fundamental gameplay is about to get a giant pivot

Havent played this since last April and theres nothing more i wanna do than "kinetically uplift" my less fortunate neighbors and then show them wealth beyond measure.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

buglord posted:

Next month. The 6th of May.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I’m still trying to finish the loving egalitarian achievement before then lol

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tried a Philippines run because someone said Spain doesn't have the fleet to contest it and they were right, but I hosed up and also took reparations as my wargoal so now I can't get ticking warscore because I don't occupy any provinces, oops.

Might try the same with Cuba though, that would be a nice hardmode run.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Tried a Philippines run because someone said Spain doesn't have the fleet to contest it and they were right, but I hosed up and also took reparations as my wargoal so now I can't get ticking warscore because I don't occupy any provinces, oops.

Might try the same with Cuba though, that would be a nice hardmode run.

Just occupy some random island of theirs, ez

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Capital provinces very much do not go to rebels. They can take every single other province but the capital. So I'm not sure how that happened.

The market access is either a bug (try quitting out and reloading) or your convoys slowly recovering from getting raided assuming there was a naval fight.

And yes Vicky 3 is very much a podcast game for me.
It very much did. It was my only province, apart from a tiny tiny colony, so that might be related somehow?

No convoys got raided because the rebels had no fleet or ships. And it stayed at 0 for weeks and months.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If you only have one single state it can get split down the middle by rebels but they shouldn't be able to take all of it. If you're such a tiny and underdeveloped country that you have one state and splitting it gives neither side enough barracks or conscription centers for any troops, then idk get a bigger ally or something to bail you out. Just in general terms, not even specifically for civil wars, if you're a tiny country you really need to attach yourself to somebody larger. The world is not very survivable without a sizeable patron, if you don't voluntarily choose one then eventually one will choose you forcibly under worse terms.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure if you only have one state and colonies revolutions will always take your capital state. I noticed the same thing in a run with some Indian minor.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That new investment dev diary sounds awesome but won‘t this require a lot of computing power?
Like the game runs super slow for me (yes yes I know old hardware and all) but I got the feeling that next Patch/DLC won‘t really make things better and expect it to be worse. We already had a patch I had to rollback because it made the game unplayable.

At this point I‘d actually enjoy a special game mode with the most computing intense mechanics simply removed and graphics stripped to the bare minimum.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
We don't know if this change with investment will be accompanied by other rewrites.

It's not like the very presence of these features means great requirements for processing power. It's all intertwined with design. Maybe devs rewrite the rules in such a way that very few pops will check for ability to look for work, or do it less often, or looking for work algorithm will be much quicker, and maybe it will do check for possible buildings at the same time. I don't know, nobody knows how it's done. Your phone can do all the calculations for moon landing in fracting of a second but it also takes 3 seconds to open a dumb timer application, it's all magic, and not the kind of wizard magic but the ones done by shamans, with strange plants and sacrifices.

So yeah, it will probably be slower. It might also be much faster and with smarter AI. Remember that with current continous development they probably have to write AI in several days after a feature is introduced, perhaps if they have time they can rewrite a slow macaronni patchwork into something cohesive and optimized.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The way rebels are just given land and can start loving up buildings right away is so frustrating. The only time it wasn't was when I took Russia for a spin and decided to see how poorly I could treat people and Turkmenistan separatists got upset and it gave me a progress bar which quickly ticked up while the game unhelpfully told me to reduce radicals in the area. Great. How would I do that? During the few months it took them to rise up? Even if there had been a specific reduce rad building it wouldn't have been finished in time despite that I had enough construction to slowly build 3 buildings at the same time.

By the way, does the US ever stop nagging you about being given Alaska for free over and over and over and over? Technically they would pay for it but given what the Alaskan gold mines did to my income and gold reserves most of the money would likely have just been dumped into the ocean or something. I know you're not actually supposed to max out the reserves but I was getting bored and wondered what happened if you did. Nothing at all apparently, other than wasting money? But at least the tsar could go Scrooge McDuck swimming. :capitalism:

Crazycryodude posted:

If you only have one single state it can get split down the middle by rebels but they shouldn't be able to take all of it. If you're such a tiny and underdeveloped country that you have one state and splitting it gives neither side enough barracks or conscription centers for any troops, then idk get a bigger ally or something to bail you out. Just in general terms, not even specifically for civil wars, if you're a tiny country you really need to attach yourself to somebody larger. The world is not very survivable without a sizeable patron, if you don't voluntarily choose one then eventually one will choose you forcibly under worse terms.
I lost my entire army along with my state. 100% of all soldiers happily defected and an empty army slowly left for the port and sailed away to Africa. Spain was my patron at the start of the game and they happily helped out and crushed the rebels but it permanently left me without any market access.

It sounds like it was a bug and not only me being bad at the game.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 10, 2024

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've been playing this a lot lately and I'm starting to get really aggravated by trade.

The first big problem is that trade routes are extremely flip-floppy. Almost every game reaches a point where trade routes grow so large that they exceed your convoy capacity, and then because of that they shrink down due to loss of profit, and then rebound back up. Building more ports doesn't help, it just increases the amplitude of the sine wave. There ought to be some degree of "stickiness" to trade routes so that they don't radically change from week to week.

The other problem is that the interface for trade just sucks. The only way to see available routes is organized by goods, so if you want to set up a profitable route you have to go down the list one by one. If you've got a trade agreement, there's no way to see all the routes available to only that country. The highlights panel doesn't help very much because it only shows you goods that you have a significant surplus or shortage of, regardless of what routes are available. Ideally I think there would be a panel that shows all available trade routes, and then you can filter them by goods, country, size, expected revenue, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

if I want to set up trades with a specific country, I usually at that country's market and sort their goods by price, and figure out trades from there. The 'Productivity' metric isn't always useful in this regard.