Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

What's the general consensus on armybuilding anyway? Is it worth running pure infantry defensive armies to hold fronts and then 50/50 infantry/artillery for attacking or just build all of them with both to attack and defend as the situation demands? Is there any real difference between having an army with multiple lower level generals vs having one level 5 guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Radia posted:

if the victoria series is your poo poo victoria 3 has been the best yet since release

I would say that victoria 3 is not so much an upgrade to the victoria series than a new take on the period. Enjoying the previous games could affect your enjoyment in both good and bad ways so i would try it before buying. Personally i feel like the economy took too much space, but it seems like other parts are getting there too and its more of a disappointment in what vic 3 could have been, not that vic 2 did any of it better or at all.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just saw this thread and apparently Vicky3 has actually been released??? Long time EU4 player, how many years should I plan to wait before this game is actually playable? Or is it by some paradox miracle decent as is?

You're going to get varying answers. It's surprisingly good from an economics standpoint, with the glaring omission that there's no sphering and no foreign investment. This is coming with the next expansion later this summer. From a military standpoint, opinions are mixed. You fight wars on fronts and don't control troop movement directly from province to province, just from their home to the front. It reduces micro significantly, and I think its a very clever advancement, but it's not universally loved.

I love the game, coming from Vicky 2, and with the next expansion it will hit feature parity basically with Vicky 2 except with a much better baseline design.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's more than possible to win wars by dint of sheer infantry mass especially early on when artillery hasn't reached the lethality of later artillery. Switching to as much artillery and cavalry as possible makes it easier to keep casualties down though and they fight on the defensive pretty well especially with the later techs that replenish troop strength faster.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

victoria 3 is the best paradox game on launch, much like ck3 before it was the best paradox game on launch. it had many controversial decisions and it asked paradox game players to find "content" without just following series of bespoke event trees. it has a lot of issues and underexplored areas in its design, many of which are handled by mods, but we're also seeing a team interested in making large reworks and experimenting with different ideas much like stellaris, unsurprising with wiz in charge.

cannot wait until the new expansion!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
There's a reason why people made MEIOU and Taxes for EU4 and Sinews of War for CK3. People want the combination of 1) war which affects their population, 2) an economic situation that reflects their population changes, and 3) the chance to advance their country not just through external conquest but also by thoughtful investment and internal growth. Victoria is the epitome of this combination, and Vicky 3 has a very strong foundation reflecting all 3 goals. I played it when it first came out, checked in a few times after patches, and am waiting a little longer for sphering and foreign investment now.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

YF-23 posted:

The concept of a limited war is something these games need to toy around with more imo. HoI4 does it a little bit but I haven't been hands on with it more than once or twice.

HoI4 sort of has limited wars but the implementation is pretty bad, like a lot of the diplomatic mechanics in the game. For instance in the new expansion Uruguay can invade both Argentina and Brazil but once you take the state you were supposed to get, a janky event simultaneously imposes a white peace, annexes the state in question, and gives you the option to re-declare war. Unfortunately your units that have advanced far into Brazil or Argentina will become automatically cut off because all the territory they secured went back to your enemy after the white peace. It's a real mess and I hope Paradox can think it through a little more before adding it to other games.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

HoI4 sort of has limited wars but the implementation is pretty bad, like a lot of the diplomatic mechanics in the game. For instance in the new expansion Uruguay can invade both Argentina and Brazil but once you take the state you were supposed to get, a janky event simultaneously imposes a white peace, annexes the state in question, and gives you the option to re-declare war. Unfortunately your units that have advanced far into Brazil or Argentina will become automatically cut off because all the territory they secured went back to your enemy after the white peace. It's a real mess and I hope Paradox can think it through a little more before adding it to other games.

There's also the other limited wars, which basically only show up in historical China tree and involve ??? and ???, possibly with ???, of divs placed next to a DMZ.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ro5s posted:

What's the general consensus on armybuilding anyway? Is it worth running pure infantry defensive armies to hold fronts and then 50/50 infantry/artillery for attacking or just build all of them with both to attack and defend as the situation demands? Is there any real difference between having an army with multiple lower level generals vs having one level 5 guy?

The reason why you don't just use as much artillery as possible is because it's expensive, the additional kill rate on artillery makes up for the lower raw defense stat (at some tech levels this may be more or less true, e.g. if you have skirmish inf but don't have shrapnel artillery yet then artillery is less good on the defense)

So yeah, having pure infantry armies you just use for defense is perfectly fine but if you have infinite money you still want all the artillery

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Oh, a huge fix for performance is setting the game to 30fps manually in the settings. Don't remember if it was posted here before, but it's significantly sped up the time in my weekly mp sessions after everyone did it (basically doubles the length we get through from ~7 to ~14 years)

ro5s posted:

I think multiple generals means you can start/defend multiple battles, though I'm not sure on exactly how those splits work

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 29, 2024

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just saw this thread and apparently Vicky3 has actually been released??? Long time EU4 player, how many years should I plan to wait before this game is actually playable? Or is it by some paradox miracle decent as is?

Id wait a bit for the new patch to drop as it adds in a lot, but the game itself is good. Very different from vicky 2 and generally for the better. Major flaw is the new combat system shits the bed sometimes but given its new for the studio and also is far better to use than Vicky 2s pixeltruppen I'm willing to overlook the 5% of the times it creates bugged frontlines

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

How do the Italy formation events work now? I figure that I might as well have a few fun easy games in Europe before 1.7 hits and I have to totally relearn the economy side of the game again

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
So there are mods that merge pops and then there is also a setting inside the game itself that does it. What are the real pros and cons of doing this? I know heavy merging takes away some of the accuracy of the time period but how does it change actual "gameplay"? Does it make radicalization less of a threat?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

FalloutGod posted:

So there are mods that merge pops and then there is also a setting inside the game itself that does it. What are the real pros and cons of doing this? I know heavy merging takes away some of the accuracy of the time period but how does it change actual "gameplay"? Does it make radicalization less of a threat?

As far as I know it’s mostly for performance. The game will calculate things for different pops, so a state with say north German labourers and south German labourers is 2x as resource intensive as if they’re all just north German. Merging just helps with reducing the amount of different pops particularly lategame when there’s been time for lots of migration.

It’ll probably cut down radcals slightly as discriminated pops get merged into accepted, but I don’t know how aggressive it is with bigger differences like that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I think there's something about pops not assimilating when they're in their own homeland. So a Yankee in New York won't assimilate, but a Yankee in Camelot may eventually.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

RabidWeasel posted:

How do the Italy formation events work now? I figure that I might as well have a few fun easy games in Europe before 1.7 hits and I have to totally relearn the economy side of the game again

I haven’t actually done it fully, but I have a game with Sardinia in progress.

Basically, if an Italian nation has researched Nationalism, it can become an unification candidate if it is at least a major power. You may have to win a war against a competing candidate.

Italian minors can join them (a ticking chance) peacefully if they are in the candidate's customs union and have good enough relations. In my experience they eventually will as long as you keep it up.

Italian provinces under other powers (Austria) have an increasing chance to rebel against their overlord as long as you keep spamming the event that spawns every now and then, at which point you may be able to support them.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I will say, I do have one concern about the upcoming foreign investment mechanics - namely, if the AI is still bad at directing investment, giving players the ability to direct both domestic AND foreign investment could turbocharge the player above the AI even more than it already does.

In some ways I feel like the best cure for a lot of V3’s ills is to play multiplayer but I haven’t the time, energy or stones to run a big multiplayer campaign. Be fascinating to watch a campaign where trade actually matters and diplomatic plays consistently result in furious and careful negotiations though.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
If none of my interest groups want Multiculturalism then I can only get it from agitators right? I have the feeling I might not get the egalitarian society objective in this current game lol

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

elbkaida posted:

If none of my interest groups want Multiculturalism then I can only get it from agitators right? I have the feeling I might not get the egalitarian society objective in this current game lol

Anarchists are usually my way in to multiculturism. You can get one from inviting an agitator and making them the leader of a party in govt or finding a general / admiral and dismissing everyone more popular than them from the same interest group and then exile / force resign the current leader of the interest group. I don't know how things are weighted but I'm usually able to find an anarchist from the rural folk or intelligentsia late game. I think Humanitarian is the other ideology that can get you there from cultural exclusion.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 1, 2024

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong with construction. I build sectors until white. I build industry until green. I build sectors until white and then all of a sudden I'm not a little negative white I'm huge negative white and I have to delete half my sectors. The input goods are silver coins, the output goods are silver coins. Wtf? I feel like I'll play the game for a dozen hours and get a grasp on a certain part of it and then realize I don't at all.

I swear its like I'm doing things the same way and then getting different outcomes each time.

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 1, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

What you have got to remember is that building a factory is gonna raise the price of input goods (more demand) and reduce the price of output of output goods (more supply). The knock on effects of this can be pretty complicated.

like you can build up munitions industry because you need more supply of that, and this makes your explosives plants more profitable, but the higher prices on explosives makes some mining operations that were marginally profitable start tipping over into unprofitability

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
also if your building construction based on your economy, make sure you factor in how much the private queue is using. you going from little negative to big negative seems like the private construction finished and the leftover construction shifted back to government building.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There are two possible issues here, I'd think.

A) Keep track of your interest. It can be quite a lot, especially if you are not a great power. I do not deficit spend as an unrecognized nation for this reason.

B) Make sure you are not building so many construction sectors that your investment pool cannot keep up their end of the bargain. If the investment pool runs out, you end up doubling (roughly) your spending on construction.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FalloutGod posted:

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong with construction. I build sectors until white. I build industry until green. I build sectors until white and then all of a sudden I'm not a little negative white I'm huge negative white and I have to delete half my sectors. The input goods are silver coins, the output goods are silver coins. Wtf? I feel like I'll play the game for a dozen hours and get a grasp on a certain part of it and then realize I don't at all.

I swear its like I'm doing things the same way and then getting different outcomes each time.

There could be other things affecting your income and expenditure. Diplomatic pacts like bankrolls ending, or gaining/losing IG approval traits as IG loyalty or power changes. In the budget tab, you can mouse over the individual line items for income and spending and see if anything changed recently, to at least point you in the right direction.

Another major culprit could be, as EwokEntourage said, private construction. In the early game, there's often not enough private investment to use all the private construction capacity, which means all the unused private construction goes towards government construction and you're suddenly paying for a lot more construction than previously.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 1, 2024

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

FalloutGod posted:

Pretty much all the important budget numbers show history when you mouseover them, so if your budget suddenly takes a big swing you can go look at your income and expenses numbers and see exactly what changed.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I appreciate all of the replies. I think I'm starting to getting a better picture of what I need to be doing. I'm going to slow down trying to grow and see if that makes things easier. I always see people talking about having pages of constructions going at once so I figure thats where you need to go immediately from gamestart.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

FalloutGod posted:

I appreciate all of the replies. I think I'm starting to getting a better picture of what I need to be doing. I'm going to slow down trying to grow and see if that makes things easier. I always see people talking about having pages of constructions going at once so I figure thats where you need to go immediately from gamestart.

There's very few countries that will have pages of construction at the very start (not sure there's any, actually), somewhere like China or maybe USA, where you have a ton of prosperous states and people and can start ramping up the construction machine fast.

For a lot of middle powers, and especially for minor powers that are behind on tech, construction is going to be a lot slower to ramp up. Like, one thing being actively built at a time (not being queued). Concentrate on getting a functional economy up first, not losing money faster than you can grow (i.e. the money text turns red), and setting yourself up to keep growing long term.

A lot of the huge amounts of concurrent construction (i.e. you've got a full page of things being built at once) comes from the later construction techs and production methods, but those also ramp up in cost quite quickly. If you're going from a very basic economy doing wood construction straight to doing iron construction as it comes available, your economy may not be ready for it and you'll run in to big problems. Keep it gradual and give yourself some wiggle room.

Also debt racks up fast when you're not a great power, and when you don't have the later financial techs. You start dipping in to debt to finance construction and it works for a while, but the interest rates start killing you. You have to be mindful of how that debt will grow, and be ready to fight it back before you get too much of it too early. Interest rates will sneak up on you and snowball to default if you aren't careful with a smaller power. It's a thing you have to get the feel for through experience, for me at least.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 1, 2024

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Basically primitive accumulation is much faster than development the further back you start in tech and general wealth/resources, but there's a breakpoint starting around 1850ish where development just goes exponential and how your game plays out is often in relation to that

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am bad at this game, I pretty much always end up in a situation where I lack coal and iron and my entire economy crashes because of that. It does not help that some PMs indirectly require iron/coal based stuff as input for more iron/coal output (It‘s not always clear which modes are a net plus of goods output and which ones are just a less workforce = more profit thing). I just seem to fail to get the hang on best industrial expansion.

Am I just utterly failing at picking the right PMs and some of them are actually traps in terms of output?
I am aware some secondary PMs are just for workforce reductions, I am talking about the primary ones that basically go more input goods = more output goods.

Are resources balanced around start date population or end game population and if so what growth factor was used?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

There are PMs you can unlock that increase the amount of input goods but those input goods also have unlockable PMs that increase their production. If you focus on industry over resource extraction you are going to run into that issue. Ultimately you want to invest in your mines, both in terms of expanding them and in terms of researching better tech for them. Getting cheaper coal and iron will have knock-on effects where the rest of your industry's efficiency will go up just because their inputs or their inputs' inputs will be cheaper.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Sorry, my post might have been badly formulated. But my issue is that it‘s always hard to judge if it‘s worth switching to a better PM that requires more input goods.
I assume it‘s all balanced so there‘s no trap PMs that end up requiring more input goods than they produce additional output (across the entire chain, say tools -> steel -> coal/iron).

Say you upgrade PM and now your coal mine requires extra tools but generates extra coal. I work under the assumption that the total input goods used for those tools are less than the additional coal output.
I am aware some PMs just use different amounts/types of labour (simple workers vs engineers), so this is mostly about the base PMs that typically offer higher output for higher input.

My aim in my games has always been to try and be self sufficient for coal/iron/steel, because those are super unstable and a bad war dec can ruin your entire economy. Due to bad AI and possible simple lack of available rss nodes the demand for coal/iron/steel on the global market is always so high that even with export tariffs (which rock income wise) I end up trading more of it away than my own economy can handle unless I go complete isolationist.

When I asked about the option to ban export for a single good earlier in this thread, it was exactly because of that. It‘s nice that people want to buy my coal/iron but it ruins my own economy.

Tl;dr my economy always crashes because of coal/iron demand and I can‘t figure out how to fix this.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Some PMs are in fact less efficient (in terms of raw output - input value) than the previous one but there aren't many. Several more are less efficient in terms of the output divided by input value. But these kinds of comparisons all assume that goods are at 0% price which usually isn't the case.

The best way you can maintain profitability is increasing demand for outputs, which can be done by increasing SOL or exporting output goods, or building things which use those outputs as inputs

If you are industrialising fast, it's not unusual to be required to conquer more states which produce coal / iron / rubber in order to fulfil demand.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-115-graveyard-of-empires.1674107/

Excited for the new recognition system

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Tl;dr my economy always crashes because of coal/iron demand and I can‘t figure out how to fix this.
Produce more coal/iron.

That might sound unhelpful, but every shortage is an opportunity. If you have really expensive coal/iron, then coal miners and iron miners are going to make a ton of money that they can spend and you can tax and improve your whole economy. It's good that coal and iron are expensive... so long as you have your own coal/iron mines.

If you do not have any way of building coal or iron mines, and you need to import it or something, then you should do two things- let up on the industrialization gas. You can't progress as fast as possible, you need to slow down to keep things balanced. And more importantly do some imperialism. There are probably coal and iron producing provinces somewhere in the world you can snipe. Check small African countries, places in Southeast Asia and Indonesia. Check your smaller neighbors. Even a little bit of domestic production is going to help you turn the expensive raw materials into another form of profit for your own economy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yooo Persia content. Looks nice.

Kind of reminds me of the discussion re: logistics earlier. The Russians wanted to push into Central Asia for centuries but repeatedly died horribly because they were trying to push through what were essentially giant deserts. A big reason the Great Game existed at all was the great difficulty of moving troops in for both sides. But ATM you can just dunk Central Asia at game start with ease with your whole army.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah even I with my utterly awful Vicky3 skills effortlessly crushed the entire region when I gave Russia a spin.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I am so damned excited for Spheres of Influence and all the new patch stuff, I can't hardly wait I don't know what to do with myself!!!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I like what I see with all the custom events for the Great Game but it's strange to me many of these things aren't made generic. I imagine you can potentially have a great game style confrontation happen in many other places. But maybe I'm missing something and power blocks mechanics have it covered.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Very excited for the new recognition system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Did they mention what triggers that progress bar in the first place? Is it just being an unrecognized major power?