Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Well hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is like saying "It's a story for children" when someone wants to dig into the themes of a piece of literature. The fact is "video game" doesn't mean a game can't both be fun (or rather, engaging) and historically accurate at the same time, or can't derive its engagement from carefully crafted systems that (and this is important) convey a substantial sense of immersion by seeming to be accurate in how things work and behave.

If you read the follow up posts I made and not just responding to the first post out of context of the rest of the discussion you'd have seen how I continue on to carefully justify this and suggest a system that would be fun/engaging because it presents interesting period accurate and immersive challenges to the players.

Spending a lot of dev time modeling a perfectly simulated Japan for people who really like James Clavell/body pillows is insanity. Simulate it with pops and move on.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Raenir Salazar posted:

What are you talking about? Can you elaborate in what way you're responding to what I said? I made sure to take steps to show how the system can be broadly applied across the board and would be a solution to a number of different issues with the genre.

I'm addressing your repeated desire for a studio to have it's 35k-50k (salary) per month tech employees spend a lot of time modeling your ideal 1836 Japanese start. It is weird to be that focused on something in a 1.0.0. Honestly the counter argument for giving US states more independence makes a lot more sense to me, at least from a gameplay perspective.

It'd own to do something with Oklahoma Indian Territory.

Jazerus posted:

you could say the same about literally any place on earth getting special mechanics or a detailed starting scenario.

why bother modeling the process of german unification in exacting detail for people who really like their bismarck body pillows? and yet i think it's 100% certain that they will be doing that.

:capitalism:

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 26, 2021

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

CharlestheHammer posted:

He’s saying a western based game cares about western scenarios more. Which while I don’t think is the complete story also isn’t wrong

It's this.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Ofaloaf posted:

ha ha i'm a dev on this

:respek:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Preordered. Good job Wiz

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Star posted:

Love the uproar over at r/Victoria3 over the perceived lack of difficulty

It’s really a thing of beauty.

I think the meme videos are great and have me very excited to play this game, even if I’ll never try half the things other people do.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I want to play as my adopted home, Sweden, and hope I can do something with my home state of Texas as well. I’m very excited for this game.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Dirk the Average posted:

Fantastic! And I know your comment is in jest, but a "dumbed down" system isn't a bad thing here because the AI also has to use the system. I love the idea of focusing on the big-picture economic management and diplomatic maneuvering while the generals do the actual fighting for me. It's just so much better than needing to individually move every single army to the point where my wrist starts to hurt after a couple of hours of playing.

:hmmyes:

I am very excited for this change. I think an inventory system ala HOI4 would be fun in the future but trust Wiz to carry his vision.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

I don't understand the obsession with the war system for the kind of game that Victoria is and having your tiny men move around on the map, the war system was extremely tedious in Vicky 2.

Same, OP. I just ran out of steam in my EU IV game last night trying to pick apart some opms with my mens on the map.

I am unreasonably excited for this game and cannot wait to influence my nation to greatness.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Eiba posted:

I've been impatiently waiting for this game for 10 years. It hasn't come out yet. I don't know how they expect me to believe it'll come out in the next 10 minutes.

Was just telling MY GIRLFRIEND this

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I am hype

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Anno posted:

I really disliked how the game looked when it was announced. Now though, especially now that I see it in game, it's very beautiful. So good work whoever's been working on that the last 18 months or so.

This game has been in development since at least 2018 when my ex worked at Paradox.

They’ve done an amazing job.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
So I clicked around for a few hours tonight trying as Sweden. I might be dumb but in the expand GDP journal entry, is that where I just start trying to play?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I really enjoyed my session last night when doing tutorial Belgium. I realized that the journal was not meant to ‘immediately do these thing’ but rather to build up to them.

Finally got my GDP up and progressed forwards. Sadly events derailed my attempt to add a police force completely :smith:

Edit: game good and more fun than I had in CK3

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
There are a lot of really mad people over this game. I saw someone calling people who like it cucks. What a great fan base :allears: