Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

I was not even slightly interested in V3 before this poo poo got announced and now I'm on the Hype Express to anarchist utopia

heh.. utopia, thats right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Wiz posted:

Not my fault you guys aren't asking the important questions :colbert:

what have you used as literature besides the obvious Das Kapital? Wealth of Nations? anything Engels? anything by Lenin? anything else academic?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Don't put nukes in the game.

Give poland a nuke

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mans posted:

Go read guns of august. Stop this.

its a fine book, but not really used any more as a definitive text for historical research

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Revolutions podcast is doing the Russian revolution and they've been covering the origins of WWI, it's a pro listen.
Not the Austrians! Despite being one of the prime movers and their Chief of Staff being one of the leading 'we must crush Serbia' voices, he apparently didn't actually plan how that was going to happen.

far from true, they had extensive plans. their problems on this area was that their doctrine was outdated, ill suited for the areas their best known losses were and made for a much shorter war then it turned out to be. there's also of course the well known problems resulting from their shattered multi-ethnic empire. serbia was also a much stronger country militarily then often assumed by readers (and A-H)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

check out george fitzhugh

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Question: I remember an earlier diary mentioning the breaking of territorial integrity. This diary mentions possible war goals. I don't see anything related to that or supplying an enemy with goods in this diary though. This however did play a role in WW1. I'll take the example of the sand and gravel question. In WW1 Germany needed to supply its construction works in Belgium with sand and gravel. To do this their convoys went through a neutral country, the Netherlands. This matter resulted in threats of war from both Germany (who wanted to let through more supplies) and the UK (who didn't want any to go through). In the end neither declared war on the neutral Netherlands as neutrality was better for them, and the dutch managed to placate both but both this and rumours of German troops travelling through were considered seriously as reasons for declaring war. Any chance of casus belli related to these matters?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im just gonna start as the ottomans like i do in every paradox game, nothing bad ever happens to those guys

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jazerus posted:

the romans really didn't do that kind of thing on a whim, and they didn't crucify as a routine part of war. crucifixion was a death penalty for criminals more than anything. the bloodiest the romans ever got was caesar and while he undoubtedly razed swathes of gaul to the ground in a way you won't find depicted in Imperator, even his fellow romans were a bit put off by it.

as far as the medieval era goes, no, there wasn't really a whole lot of sanctioned genocide going on outside of events so unusual we remember them today, like the albigensian "crusade" against the cathars. it's one of the positive aspects of the era honestly. a lot of pop culture's conception of "medieval" brutality belongs more properly to the early modern, i.e. the EU4 era, when the restraints of religion and state on violence began to crumble

amusingly enough a lot of those ideas of medieval (and other) brutality are enlightenment myths that also persisted in some forms into the victorian era (and now...)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Does the game have motion blur? Bits of the island look rather blurry like the camera was moving around quickly

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Like 1% of the paradox userbase plays multiplayer, they should be ignored for balance

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RagnarokZ posted:

There's some old numbers back from 2014 here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-playerstats.757556/

A third of all EU4 games were multiplayer.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/236850/view/2972925916159846992

Its decreased to 13% and i remember the stats for the other games also hovering between 5 and 15%. Either way, focusing too much on a balance that favors multiplayer, rather then sometjing that is fun in singleplayer and the ai can handle hurts the game

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The tech tree looks nice but its a bit dull and civlike/gamey where other mechanics have trended more to simulating realism. To have tech then be such an ahistorical thing is disappointing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

TwoQuestions posted:

...I don't get it. Is there some sort of in-joke or historical thing I'm not getting, or is this just lolrandom?

During the Haitian revolution part of the polish legion send to suppress it rebelled and joined the revolutionaries. This resulted in a warm relationship between them and the Haitians and the honorary name of ‘white negroes of europe’