Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Victoria 2 never fully clicked for me (or Paradox apparently?) but the expansion Wiz put out right after joining the company made it playable and a lot more interesting. Very excited to buy this and stare at maps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Fired up Victoria 2 for old times' sake because of this announcement and got Greece to her modern borders in 20 years using the crisis system. The only speed bump was the first crisis when Britain + Prussia backed the Ottomans (despite me being in the British sphere :argh:) but France, Russia, and Austria pulled through for me.

Then I realized I was in the 1850s and absolutely nothing happened in 1848 which was a shame, especially since monarch lives are hardcoded AFAIK (the newspaper mentioned Ferdinand I coming to the throne of Austria but I don't remember seeing anything about him stepping down?).

hobbesmaster posted:

1821 (death of Napoleon) so there’s a 15 year gap.

March of the Eagles II confirmed.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Fuligin posted:

They probably mean that random patch you guys dropped a few years (iirc) back. It's true that vic2 didn't really hit its stride until heart of darkness landed with the flashpoint system in any case

Yeah, Heart of Darkness was a huge leap forward but the Wizpatch helped it reach its full potential. I'm sure it's an oversimplification to say "Wiz made Paradox good" but his hire happened in the middle of a bunch of small changes that really got Paradox firing on all cylinders and let them release a pretty hot streak of really great titles out of the gate instead of "ehh it's Paradox, give it a couple patches and you'll have a good game."

I don't think it's too controversial to say that the most recent installment of each main Paradox series is the best and most accessible version of each series, nostalgia for HoI2 and Ricky aside. I've only been on the bandwagon since mid-EU3 but I feel like they've come a long way as a studio, which is both why the recent bumps in the road have been concerning and why I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and be excited for Vicky 3 even if Vicky 2 never clicked for me.

e:

Frionnel posted:

Eh, doing that means you have to deal with the american wars of independence against Spain and Portugal right off the bat, which would be pretty hard to pull off dynamically. Makes more sense to start after the dust has settled.

I feel like you could do something neat with the American Wars of Independence by making it functionally impossible for Spain to hold on to the colonies but have the disintegration of the Empire be somewhat dynamic. Sometimes Gran Colombia never forms, sometimes it lasts forever, sometimes you get Megaperu, sometimes Spain manages to hold on to Argentina but loses everything else, sometimes the rebellion spills over to Portugal, sometimes you get an independent Cuba or Puerto Rico as well...

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 23, 2021

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Wiz please build in an AzeriMod alt history scenario.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

quote:

A documentary that aired on Channel 4, Dead Famous DNA, described it as "very small" and measured it to be 1.5 inches (3.8 cm). It is not known what size it was during Napoleon's lifetime.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It seems like you could reasonably start the game in 1825, which is about when the independence wars in Spanish America wound down. Did something special happen in 1836 for the sake of the game?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Takanago posted:

The game should have a Commonwealth variant with a Union Jack in the corner for every single tag in the game. British France, British Prussia, British Brittany, etc.

After Poland-Lithuania gets restored through crises: British Commonwealth.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

You'd think whether it's EU, Victoria or HOI that the AI should be vastly more troublesome then they are, especially where amphibious warfare is considered. Being able to pay attention to multiple fronts simultaniously; able to consistently follow up on island hoping contains, not leaving troops marshalling in the rallying zones (I forget what the word for this is) for too long; being able to accurately judge when to strike with a small force to exploit a gap/weakness and when to strike and follow through with a larger force after preparing for months in advance.

I wish the AI could consistently do this.

It's such a letdown when I take a few years to get my armies balanced just right, upgrade my border forts, hire a pile of mercenaries, and prepare to face down Mega-France or whatever final boss a game of EU4 has for me and realize it's the last possible chance for me to gently caress up the game but if I take out some loans and call in all my allies and assault all their forts then maybe I can eke out a small victory...

...then my armies march from Antwerp to Lisbon without encountering a single French soldier because they're all having a party in South Africa and Indonesia.

e: say what you will for endgame Ottomans but at least their commitment to grind their professionalism to 0 and hire hundreds of mercenaries and spam infantry units makes them go down fighting, versus taking one province in Cornwall then immediately eating all of Britain from the inside while they flail around helplessly.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 25, 2021

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I really appreciate that there's a way to stay relevant as a mid-sized country in V2 by pumping your prestige and the trade-off seems pretty obvious: you can pile up nice paintings but then a mid-sized power declares war on you, tears through your obsolete troops, and takes half your country in the peace deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Do you need to watch out for the US attacking you or can you just chill and stack up prestige all day? Building a utopian Haitian paradise sounds kind of nice on its own compared to the :smith: historical reality :smith: