Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I tried to become a rum magnate with Cuba but instead ran into my credit limit. The French helpfully paid the tab on it then I ran right back into the limit because I have no idea what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I tried it and the Indian Territory start is indeed very hard. You start as a US puppet and it's incredibly easy to crash your entire economy.

Gonna try Spiff's Jan Mayen stratfor the economy. If it works the problem then becomes how to become independant.

Jan Mayen is part of Norway in the release version so you can't play as them anyway, unless I'm missing something.

Playing as Hawaii is hard, you can't build a construction sector or your debt spirals out of control really fast so you're stuck with five max construction.

I probably just need to learn more because all my nations end up in debt spirals.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

On my Hawaii start today I immediately began passing Universal Suffrage, which pissed off the leading IG. They started a revolution but had no troops so I just built one barracks and attacked them then waited for the war score to tick. They lost handily.

Also I guess you need to have a trade route to a country before you can join their market? Hawaii can't join anyone because they're not neighbors with any real powers. It might've been that I became England's protectorate though, I can't remember if the option to join their market was active at the same time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Potential oil producing regions:
  • In North America
    • Kansas (20)
    • Oklahoma (20)
    • Pennsylvania (36)
    • Ontario (40)
    • Alberta (50)
    • Texas (50)
    • California (60)
    • Rio Grande (50)
  • In South America
    • Zulia (60)
    • Santa Cruz (30)
    • La Paz (30)
  • In Western Europe
    • Friesland (30)
    • Elbe (30)
    • Hannover (30)
  • In Eastern Europe
    • West Galicia (36)
    • Wallachia (60)
    • Perm (60)
  • In Siberia
    • Nenetsia (30)
  • In Central Asia
    • Kuban (30)
    • Azerbaijan (60)
    • Samara (30)
    • Tartaria (60)
    • Uralsk(60)
  • In North Africa
    • Libyan Desert (30)
  • In the Middle East
    • Abu Dhabi (40)
    • Mosul (50)
    • Basra (60)
    • Fars (60)
  • In East Asia
    • Shanxi (30)
    • Chubu (30)
  • In Indonesia
    • East Borneo (60)
    • East Java (20)

Is this listed in a file somewhere or did you just go to each country and check somehow? A spreadsheet with all resources per state would be pretty nice.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I haven't played since launch, what kinda major changes have there been? Is the DLC good? Finally, are there any good UI/improved gameplay mods? I don't need like, added gameplay but making existing things better is fine.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Stupid question; can I start as America and release every single state as an independent nation, then release myself as the second to last state, leaving America with just the District of Columbia? Is that possible without unpausing?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If I'm one of the biggest markets in the game, is it worth trying to get Customs Unions with smaller places? Will they start developing better resources and putting them into the market?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Eiba posted:

At a certain point what they produce isn't as important as what they consume. More people buying your stuff means more money for your pops.

They will produce stuff and develop, too, but probably not in a particularly optimal way. But every bit helps. If they're just making grain or something that's a bit less you have to produce to keep prices reasonable and you can safely put more people into profitable factories.

It's basically never bad to get more people in your customs union.

Is the easiest way to just start improving relations and bankrolling a country until they like me enough to join, probably also owing them all obligation?

I feel like access to water as a resource is something that could've been put in, given the history of water exploitation in the world though I guess maybe the majority of that probably occurs later than the years the game is set.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mandoric posted:

It doesn't let you get that granular, various regional tags take precedence over state tags. There is/was a mod that started the US as DC and twentysomething subjects, but it didn't work well at all last time I tried it.

Yeah I went ahead and tried it after finishing my $1b GDP run. You can release a lot of land but not nearly enough.

Instead I started as Spain, any specific tips for them? I immediately made Morocco a Puppet, I'm sure that won't cause any trouble.

Edit: Multiculturalism is much harder now, is it really just RNG to get an agitator or leader or whatever who supports it?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 17, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can someone give me the Idiot's Rundown On Trade? Obviously I get a percentage for enacting tariffs on exports and imports, I assume for any routes I open or the AI open. If Free Trade is rolling, what kind of money can I expect to get? If I'm exporting grain that costs my citizens 5 cents, what is another country paying? Whatever their grain cost normally is, reduced by however much they're importing? I feel like I'm often just hitting buttons that say I'll get a positive income but then I don't know how to keep track of it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Trade basically moves buy/sell orders from one market to another, the price in each market is recalculated based on the change in buy / sell orders between the two markets after the trade has gone ahead. The difference in value in each market is used to generate either income or cost for the trade centre which is facilitating the trade, and the trade centres also pay tariffs where applicable. Trade routes grow if they are profitable and there is enough convoys to increase the size of the trade route.

The impact on market prices is usually more important than the actual trade value generated by trading, so you're usually best off just importing goods you want to be cheap and exporting ones you want to be more expensive than worrying about the raw trade profitability of each good (although you can't grow a trade route which is making a loss)

I ran into trouble with Wine in my US game; no matter how many farms I built to make wine, demand was always double the supply. No one else in the world seemed to be making wine in appreciable quantities either. Because I had so many farms (that you can't convert to 100% winemaking, or plant fruit specifically for reasons I don't understand besides balance of some kind) I was making something like 30,000 more grain than I could consume.

Standard of Living was around 22 even for the lower pop so it's a real first world problem but was there anything I could do about wine and grain in that situation?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gort posted:

It's apparently being looked at, here's Wiz on the official forums about it:

Huh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Give us vineyards and fruit orchards, breweries and distilleries. Let me make rum from sugar, or vodka/bourbon from grain.

Pakled posted:

When you get to that level of SOL across your entire population, it's normal to start running into issues of "the world doesn't produce enough luxury goods to satisfy the demands of my pops."

That being said, and I don't imagine this completely solving your problem when the issue is more with the nature of SOL and luxury goods, did you look into goods substitution? Wine, in the "luxury drinks" need category, can be substituted with coffee or tea. Because coffee and tea are "primary" products of their respective plantations, they scale better with new levels of buildings and methods of production too. If you have states that are capable of producing coffee or tea, or untapped trade partners who can provide some, you might find that providing your people more coffee or tea could alleviate the demand for wine by providing alternative goods that satisfy the same needs.

I did forget about substitutions! Good to know that wine can be replaced with those goods; I was basically ignoring them because demand was so low.

Edit: When should I be enabling the PMs that reduce the amount of labor? And is there an easy way in game to tell what goods can be substituted?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 22, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Asking again because it probably got lost in my edit; when should I be activating production methods that reduce labor?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Koorisch posted:

Can someone tell me more about things like the different types of healthcare and schooling, what exactly do I get from them and how much does their effect matter?

I'm assuming some of them are much better than the other types.

edit: Also what exactly changes if I switch to No Migration controls?

Schooling and Healthcare laws allow you to spend more bureaucracy to increase the level of health and education, from 1-5. That's in the government tab, at the end on the right. More healthcare means less people dying, education means more literacy and more people that can fulfill higher level jobs, which I think also translates to higher Standards of Living? I tend to run education as high as I can, and healthcare if I have the extra bureaucracy. Public Schools and hospitals also reduce how much influence religious interest groups have so you can more easily get them out of government and pass progressive laws.

Migration Controls means discriminated pops can't immigrate while No Migration Controls means everyone except slaves can immigrate. Discriminated pops are based on whatever discrimination law you have. Multiculturism is the best but it's a lot harder to get now.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm no expert.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wish the consumptions tax list was ordered by the amount of ingots you get per authority point. Sure, something like grain might give you 1.7k ingots for 500 authority but you could also do five different taxes on items that cost 100 authority each and give you 2k ingots total.

It's not really a big deal, just kinda obnoxious to micro that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a list of common exploits? Stuff like sending dual naval invasions to get a foothold.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What should I look for when deciding if I should move my capital? Population and any good modifiers if I have any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Poil posted:

I'm probably doing that wrong as well because I'm drowning in authority despite liberally liberalizing.

Don't forget you can use authority for state decrees as well. They're not quite as useful the bigger you get but can be used to shore up smaller/weaker/recently conquered states.