Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

This is the one time I might actually preorder. To signal to paradox's bean counters that this is what I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

1821 (death of Napoleon) so there’s a 15 year gap.

March of the Eagles 2 when?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's easier to set up interesting conflicts right off the bat than to program a game that will have a recognizable world war one style conflict go off correctly eighty years down the line.

The American Wars of independence against Spain are pivotal to the history of the 19th century. There's no good excuse for leaving them out.

Also, starting in 1815 gives a great challenge for people to play as Napoleon.

Just loving play March of the Eagles, dude.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

I mean, the main player base is in Europe and North America right? Inexperienced players from there are probably going to pick great European powers or the USA.

So, I don't think Pdox has to worry about S.A. being a hard start.

The classic Victoria piece of advice is always "Start in Brazil" because Brazil in Vicky is basically in the perfect position for the player to start slow and build up into being a power of relevance.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Also, accruing wealth in Victoria 2 was a trap and a joke. You only need to make enough money to keep your country running, anything more is only useful insofar as you have stuff to spend it on.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Beamed posted:

To be clear, stuff like that is why Vicky 2 was NOT good, but fun in spite of that fact. It's better for Victoria 3 to be, uh, a well made game.

You clearly don't know what good means.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Vicky 2 will haunt your computer and destroy your soul, but someone will have survived to grab a save to rehost from.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

And as someone says in the comments, make Americans addicted to guns.

Kinda sounds like V3 will make an excellent base for a Cold War mod.

That's literally just the way Victoria games work. It's almost as if the century following World War Two was not that different in a grand sense from the century proceeding it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gort posted:

How does, "Agrarian Society, -69% manpower" sound

About as good as Porto-Brazilian India.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 3, 2021

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, interest groups who do not care about/want to benefit from corruption are a central part of ruling cliques and I hope are modeled.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, when the job is lovely, it's just a lovely job. But when the job is lovely and also it leads to a poo poo load of your coworkers dying. That really breaks down soldiering into more than just a lovely job into an existential nightmare.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gort posted:

(I never played 1 but people talk about manually splitting and promoting pops and that sounds like some bullshit)

It's actually very loving funny, because the solid trick is to have a big clump of population, split into five pieces the two largest pieces being clerks and the three smaller ones being craftsmen, and thus make your factories powerful.

Also pop's did auto-split, but you had very manual control of your pops in a very funny degree.

edit:

Also, in terms of V2 starts, Brazil is the golden one. It's the Untied States (with associated problems and advantages) but (population-wise) smaller and with an Emperor to keep things chill. You get the benefits of monarchy as a control lever for your politics, but you are also safe from european wars, receiving immigration buffs for not being in Europe, and have a bunch of states pre-fail surrounding you to beat up if you so choose.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 10, 2021

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Agean90 posted:

the devs should just go with the one that's the most interesting and ties in the best with the games design goals and lmao @ verisimilitude nerds at the scale the game takes place.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

:tipshat:
It's beautiful.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Make sure to add a lobby to this game Wiz.
Please :(

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Not having a lobby is really loving bad for doing multi-session multiplayer.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

Little wooden toy soldiers

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Gonna make a "Ford's Nightmare" mod, which will do to trade goods what Voltaire's Nightmare did to the HRE.

:sickos:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

I vote that sailing ships be called Clippers and steamships called Lakers

hell :yeah:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Clippers and Lakers is the only good idea.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I hope we get yellow prussia on release :sickos:

and it gets fixed in the first patch.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Wiz posted:

We're not going to add them if we don't feel they add to the game.

Is this what faith in someone's vision feels like.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I need to be able to make corporately own klepostates and military juntas. I just need it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Have you, uh, played Victoria 2?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Randomly generated from a list of WWE wrestlers.

Their names are very loving trash.

Cannot wait for hetman of the ukranian state Wes Lee.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Finally, the animal horrors of MacQuarrie island in game form.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
also, yeah, since they seem to be modelling the leaders of the countries in-game, having them appear in some sort of capacity like in original Vicky (buy dynamic and changing with the change in leadership) seems like it would be possible a kind of cool.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
love to play victoria as a constantly failing state.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
kosher meats, halal meats, other meats.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
*arachno-liberal.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
get caught in the tangled web of capitalism.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The dark secret that rebels do not get technology bonuses and thus are extremely weak to gas attack, is always a thing I remember when I have to play a country I haven't been running from the start and thus have to deal with militancy.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
imagine such mismanagement that your own army units would rebel.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

“Be harmonious with each other, enrich the soldiers, and spurn all other men.”

:hai:

Soldiers paychecks never bounced, admin and education budgets and building things be damned.

VanSandman posted:

Crushing a rebellion militarily should come with the trade off of removing some pops (killed by the state) and royally pissing off related pops.

That is how it works in previous games, yeah.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I mean, the counter argument to that is that you are describing the literal population of paris taking up arms against the state.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
just like how the rural french electorate were potatoes in a sack.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Finally, the pie charts return.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Zeron posted:

The pie charts aren't for conveying useful information, they're for looking cool and enjoying watching the pie chart fill out the way you want it.

:hmmyes:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
they were also useless because they didn't actually convey any information correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Agean90 posted:

For an unrelated hint, the techs that increase your research points in the culture section are your absolute top priority for research, followed by the techs I'm the same section that give you more focuses, and then the techs that increase your education rate.

Please don't convince the Russian Empire to not research basic medicine and chemistry. :v: