Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Digital Osmosis posted:

never mind, looks like Paradox isn't serious about their economic simulation at all. Capitalists choosing to invest profits into the wider society? loving ludicrous

There is no information yet of what this investment pool will buy, it might very well be that 90 % is spent on luxury goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
A bit odd in the stream that they managed to stay competitive without changing production methods at all- I hope that there is a notification if you are using outdated production methods since otherwise, it will probably be quite easy to forget.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I will probably start as Persia or Russia.

Is corruption represented in the game somehow? After all, this is the time period when spoil systems were removed and actually having qualified civil servants became a cause for reformers.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I don't understand the obsession with the war system for the kind of game that Victoria is and having your tiny men move around on the map, the war system was extremely tedious in Vicky 2.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Pylons posted:

The US should have hilariously bad espionage like they did in real life during this time period.

Same with Germany- every time they try something sneaky they should have a localized Zimmerman telegram event.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
In the late 1850s as Russia and everything is going quite well- managed to kill serfdom early, have some early democracy, developed the economy and doing everything I can to kill the land-owners influence.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So I turned my Russia into a multicultural liberal paradise- however, it means that I get so much immigration that instead of upskilling my own pops and getting them out of subsistence farmer hell - the immigrants take a lot of the jobs that I create. Also, I might need to get a new computer, the performance is very slow and it is only 1869.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Is there something bugged with the education system? I have public schools but when I check in detail on my pops it says that their education depends on their wealth.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
After conquering most parts of central Asia as Russia I ran out of opium again, guess it's time to invade Afghanistan.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
It is quite infuriating that due to the massive immigration I am getting that I can't pull people out of subsistence farming and that I have 20 million unemployed people.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Rubber, oil, and to a lesser extent coal, iron, sulphur, tea and silk are all already pretty potent drivers of that. I don't think you need opium to be as rare as it is to incentivise imperialism.

Opium's position in the game right now seems a little weird. Field hospitals are one of the most potent military upgrades you can get in the early on- more potent, I think, than simple troop or arty upgrades because they're operating on an entire other axis of performance (recovery effect), and thus having a multiplicative effect- but require vast quantities of opium to fuel. The key to military success in this game appears to be "annex Vietnam early and turn the entirety of Tonkin into a single giant poppy plantation", which... seems like sort of a strange dynamic to me? I do not feel like opium-fueled space marines "makes sense" in the game's narrative?? I'm just sort of not vibing with that???

There's also no synthetic alternative. Synth rubber (1909, 1931) and synth oil (1913, 1925) were at least late enough developments that their omission sort of makes sense? (Plus: if you haven't done enough imperialism to secure yourself a supply of those resources I feel like you're probably not going to have the coal necessary to fuel ersatz production anyway). But ether was first synthesised in 1275 and began to be used as an anaesthetic in the 1840s.

There absolutely should be factories for synthetic opiods- further, they really should add a method to switch over completely to one good production. It is annoying as hell to have a massive surplus of wood and steamers because I want ironclads and hardwood.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
How do you actually get rid of subsistence farmers? I was doing great progress in my Brazil game but then half a million Irish immigrated to work in the subsistence farms.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I have been playing as the Ottoman Empire and I don't understand the Tanzimat "Army Modernization" event- does it include both conscription centers and barracks?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Zeron posted:

You can't just have the production methods switched, you also have to be supplying them all with input goods. If you don't have enough artillery/small arms or whatever it is, then it's not going to finish.

Okay thank you!

It is fun playing again and the AI building on its own for you makes it a lot more fun- I still can't figure out who the hell thought having laws being passed with a percentage chance was a good idea- it is utterly infuriating failing over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
It would have been nice if they had focused on broken things in the base game such as the frontline system and wars not being fun before pumping out DLCs.