Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Whelp, reinstalled vic2. What’s the current good mod for it? Last time I played was with the beta patch and things seemed fine, but I’ve seen people play on streams from time to time with loads of decisions to take and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
anyone playing GFM around to tell me why my bureaucrats and intellectuals promotion numbers are through the roof? (like 1000% and 500% respectively). The tooltip does not show what the fuckery is.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
who gives a craaaaaaaaaaaaap

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Gort posted:

people who know what words mean

I’m clipping the Oxford dictionary RIGHT NOW

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

guidoanselmi posted:

What’s the etiquette for leaked beta chat? If nothing else, I’m even more excited after playing and seeing the state of the game. Incredible job so far.

Goast posted:

besides the constant crashes its not that bad, got a couple hours worth of dicking around in it

im not inclined to give anymore unwanted, unstructured feedback, that's one of the more annoying parts of getting your poo poo leaked id imagine

This is me. I'm in love with the structure I'm seeing. I'm really looking forward to the finished product. For HotCode™ it's looking very promising.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Hudson Bay Company is playeable which is incredible to me.

That North America map is :discourse:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

RattiRatto posted:

I feel sorry for Wiz and team, getting your work leaked and criticized when it should go through limited testing must be not a nice experience. This will inevitably delay the whole thing, but who can blame them.

For one thing the whole new set of screenshots going around have increased my interest in the game even more - though to be honest I think the communication from pdx side has been great so far, with a lot of material coming out every week.
There is definitely more insight from the AAR recently posted rather then from videos posted by gamers who don't have idea of what is working but are very ager to comment on the absence of X content in an unfinished product.

The average person has no loving clue how a game can appear completely broken and unplayable until the very last month* before shipping when everything comes together like a beautiful ballet.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

JosefStalinator posted:

What's the forum/thread policy on the leak? Are we allowed to post about it, maybe no screens or spoiler it or something? Just curious, want to be respectful of the rules/norms.

you can chat all you want about it, but just chat.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Ignorant Hick posted:

Freaking badass posting my dude.

They're saying it very roughly, but they're actually right: PDX devs are not your friends. Thinking so is falling into the trap of parasocial relationships. I'm wishing the dev team well not because I wish them good health as friends, but because I want a really good game from them.

Which the leak has proven they are on their path to delivering. It's why PDX's message of "even the people telling us they're enjoying the unfinished product are wrong and also hurting our morale" is dumb as poo poo, because it's proof that the path they're on is the good one, no matter the current circumstances. I get, though, that they can't openly say ever that they agree with that message, since it would be like tacitly saying the leak was good.

Bottom line: the half finished game is looking good and hopefully the team delivers on what they've promised so far in the dev diaries, in return I'll reward Paradox with some cash and a thumbs up on the steam review page, as will many others.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

RabidWeasel posted:

Imagine being nice to someone just because you think that it's better for people to experience pleasant things than unpleasant ones, what a crazy idea

You can be nice for any reasons you want, they're still not your friends.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

clear example of whitewashing. smh

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Ms Adequate posted:

I wrote my Master's Thesis on Byzantium.

The Byzaboo is posting from inside the thread.

how much do people fight about calling them Romans in the inner circles?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

The stuff at the end about how interest group allegiances vary based on the balance of power sounds incredible. I also really like how many political layers there are, even though I'm starting to lose track of them sometimes. You've got jobs/classes, ideologies, interest groups, and political parties, none of which (as far as I remember) are strict 1-to-1 correspondences.

just like politicians in real life, who are also bumbling about through the process. dont worry, itll just make the game more realistic and good (no sarcasm).

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Victoria III coming out in the middle of the Greatest Depression that seems to be on the cusp is going to be magical and on point.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Are we planning a release mega MP session? I'd love to be part of one. Euro goon here. Just a bunch of chill idiots flailing at every buttons trying to manage an economy.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
im gonna grow and exports tulip bulbs. the currency of the future

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The mods that will be made for this game will be glorious. Can't wait.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
i will crush capitalism

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really excited at all the alt-history and straight up total conversion projects that would suit V3 so well.

It’s going to be bonkers. So many possible economy simulators to mod in.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Finally we can have the Rome game we deserve.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
i alt+f4 the moment my economy goes down 1%

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

It’s Latin for celebrate you uncultured swine!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Now that we have a date, I'd love to see who's up for doing a grand MP game on the 25th. Just all of us jumping in with no knowledge and bumbling about (the most realistic the game will ever be).

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
this is the first game in a loving long while im counting the days until it releases.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I’m not saying the old system was the perfect balance, but that old system is why there is so much intense interest in the new version. Admittedly the micro of a huge multi continental empire was unfun, there can be improvements.

My original post was just saying that I have become a lot more skeptical after seeing some of the gameplay. I think some army man pixels will definitely help. But also the drama of war sorta seems lost with the new mechanics. It seems pretty cut and dry what the outcome is going to be. That may be desired for some, but I think it’s going to be a point of contention.

what about random events where the choices offered to the player depend on the general's interest group/personality, affecting the fronts? (unless that's already in and I never noticed it). I feel that could help bring in the "lens" closer to the meat of battle, and bring life to the line of fire drawn on the map.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
less than four weeks

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

ilitarist posted:

I hope later we get some sort of system where huge losses would justify adding more wargoals or something like that. I realize it may make the game feel much more gamey (I have to throw just 30k more people into the grinder to be able to demand 1 more province!) and it's hard to balance so I understand if it never comes to be.

paying for land with bodies, very accurate

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
23 days

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
:gary: 3 weeks

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
20 days

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
In two days we'll have just a week left.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Anyone wants to be my gaming buddy on the 25th for a blind mp game? :unsmith:

Euro time zone here.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
6 sleeps

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The hype vids are coming out!

(headphones warning from french player in the first min.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqCVfW2ju2M

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
A disconcordant thought appears!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Pooned posted:

Wastched Bokoens MP game, Spiffing Brits Jan Mayen game and Proud Bavarian forming "HRE", everything looks super fun. God drat I'm hyped for tuesday.

extremely hyped here. big gdp numbers incoming

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

now that v3 is almost out i must implore the dev's once again to make little mans on the map fighting during battles, as the first thing they do + also for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, it really is this way with all those complicated simulations with complex rules. First you think that incomprehensible UI is a consequence of a huge galaxy-spanning scope and detailed emulation of a living world,

Master Of Orion 3