Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

DelilahFlowers posted:

Gonna do Turbo Radical Reconstruction as the USA and then switch to commie workers co-ops.

Extremely same I'm already fantasizing about it for my first game. Not knowing how to play for the first few decades and horribly loving up is just accurately simulating pre-Civil War American leadership. Surely I won't be bad enough to lose to Mexico and if I do that's an even cooler timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

wukkar posted:

What color is Prussia?

This is by far the most important question I've seen

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm not sure parties need to be a distinct category of extra moving parts, at least not for release. I also know nothing about how the game works beyond a reddit post and some alpha screenshots so I shouldn't be listened to, but how is having a separate layer that says "the Democratic Party is in power, backed by the Landowners and opposed by the Petit Bourgeois interest groups" usefully different from just having the Landowners in government and the Petit Boug in opposition?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I don't really need a dynamic Populist Party to appear I'm entirely capable of just using my imagination to frame my ruling coalition of Rural Folk, Intellectuals, and Trade Unionists as the Populist Party and when the Trade Unionists get booted in favor of the Petit Bourgeois or something I can just imagine a new thing. If I were the omnipotent dictator of video games I wouldn't do parties as much more than a pure flavor bit of text localization off to the side of the interest groups/government screen, I don't see what the additional complexity adds except more moving parts for the simulation to break.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

DrSunshine posted:

We can leave Parties to the expansion a few expansions from now, the one where you can pay $30 to experience "Coalition Government Simulator" and have fun with:

• Passing or being subject to votes of no confidence
  • Not being able to form a coalition and having snap elections
  • Leftist circular firing squad
  • Horse trading for votes
  • Abolishing and/or instating the Filibuster
  • An MP stealing the royal scepter that makes the government exist

Yeah party politics feel like an expansion mechanic that belongs with other things fleshing out parliamentary politics in the democracies rather than a core pillar of the game

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I really hope you do, that mechanic rocks, sorry you have no culture

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

really queer Christmas posted:

I'd hope it gets a bit more interaction than "rush down these techs and hope you pop the inventions first"

Oh for sure but that means I want more mechanics and sliders about becoming a Great Power via paintings and operas, not to remove paintings and operas

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

What is Paradox trying to hide in Australia, every promo screenshot of the map just so happens to be framed so you can't see it :tinfoil:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ofaloaf posted:

ha ha i'm a dev on this

How many different 3D locomotive models are there gonna be, this entirely determines whether or not I'm gonna buy it

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

V2 didn't represent anybody outside able-bodied working males at all, yeah. Your "population" number in the ledger or whatever took the number of POPs and multiplied it by 4 to account for the wife and 2 kids but it had zero effect on gameplay it was purely cosmetic.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The oceanic slave trade is pretty conclusively over by the time the game starts but there should probably be some kind of mechanism to move existing slave populations internally to nations. Primarily the US obviously, expanding slavery to the newly acquired western territories should actually.... spread slavery, if only so my John Brown's Free States of America run has a slave-US big enough to put up a satisfying fight.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I don't particularly want a detailed alt-hist world slave trade simulation I just want the US and Brazil to deal with some historical-ish realities of their pre-existing slave populations

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hellioning posted:

Doesn't the interest that's supposed to be paid to people who hold loans end up just getting deleted instead?

Yeah I'm pretty sure loan interest is one of the big bugs where money leaks out of the economy in V2, it's honestly a wonder that 2's economy produces vaguely functional results most of the time and isn't just 100% Bengal-induced liquidity crises

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If you don't want to deal with secret alliances and back room Great Power politics and getting dragged into wars you want nothing to do with then just.... don't play politics and make alliances. Sit there in your splendid isolation and just don't get involved, that is the historical response for the time period, giving players some mechanical incentives to go isolationist (as multiple Great Powers in the period did) sounds like a feature not a bug.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah you're right it would be total bullshit if what you thought was a minor scuffle between tertiary powers turned into a giant great power conflagration because of alliances one or more parties weren't expecting, what was I thinking

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The Triple Alliance and Ottoman-German alliance (the one that brought them both in against Russia) are literally taught as the classic example of the secret alliance system but go off

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

One of the Vicky 1 mods (I think) had a mechanic where if you consistently made decisions favoring the slaveholders, New England would secede without a war. Maybe they could develop something like that into a more interesting alternate conflict.

That's integrated into Victoria 2 (presumably in A Housed Divided?), it just never happens unless the player intentionally threads the needle just right to make them pop up. I think I've seen the Free States come out of an AI USA maybe twice in the hundreds of games I've played.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS

Choo choo!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Agean90 posted:

I'm seeing an armored train icon there 🚂🚂🚂

Yeah I just thought the same thing, that red icon looks awfully like it's got gun turrets on it. If Victoria 3 is going to let me play with armored trains it's instant game of the loving century material.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Obviously I have no special insight but if I had to guess maybe they grow better in different places and presumably tie into the "fascination" system somehow? Pops in southern China should be "fascinated" with the local rice and not have to worry about buying corn from across the planet to satisfy their life needs, keeping local food costs down as long as there's enough local supply. Same with a pop in northern China or Europe being fascinated with the local wheat or whatever.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

IIRC Wheat, Potato, etc are all plentiful in China; I think potato and wheat are more northern?

China's larger than the entire continent of Europe from Lisbon to the Urals, there's a lot of regional variation yeah. Rice is the staple in the southern climates that support it but in the northern regions wheat is the staple grain, and I'm sure you can grow at least a couple species of potatoes just about everywhere except the really warm and wet regions those things are nearly impossible to kill.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Suzerain is very fun and watching the bougie newspaper headlines howl about you dooming the economy while going full communism and then winning anyways feels so satisfying

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It would be nice if the Admiralty could just handle patrolling it though instead of requiring the Prime Minister to personally micro the deployment of the East Indies Squadron

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Specifically points that you stockpile and then spend in big lump sums, mana isn't just "any resource in a game" but saving up 120 dove points to build some more plantations instantly when you hit the button. Victoria 3's capacities look a lot better to me, even if in practical terms locking 10 dove capacity points per month on promoting plantation construction for a year is kinda the same as saving up 120 dove points. It just "feels" more like a simulation than a board game in my head if the ship of state is slower to turn and there's like a streaming economy that takes time and intention to do things rather than stockpiling arbitrary dove points that are perfectly fungible and can be converted into any kind of dove project instantly on demand.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 22, 2021

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Popoto posted:

who gives a craaaaaaaaaaaaap

Yeah, this. There's no such thing as a "machine tool" either but it's an acceptable abstraction for a large category of extremely varied industrial goods, calling all the wind-powered wooden ships "clippers" is fine too imo unless someone's got a similarly snappy thing to call them.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I was talking about the province development, not buildings. It just feels wrong to be able to instantly conjure a bunch of military infrastructure or plantations or taxable peasants on command with resources you were originally saving up for something else entirely, I like things to require intention and time and not be able to instantly react. EU4 buildings feel a lot better to me (would feel even better if they cost 20 ducats per month for 2 years rather than a lump sum of 480 at once though) because at least they take a while to finish building and you can't instantly summon a bunch when you suddenly find yourself at war or whatever.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 24, 2021

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Modeling rebellions as dudes with guns on the map having pitched battles with the professional army is just a terrible way to model all but the biggest of them. Having the army stomp a 2-regiment stack of irregulars should never even come up, the small-scale stuff should happen off the map and in the pop screen instead. Maybe apply a constant low-level attrition to both the military units in the state and militant rebel pops or something to represent the low-level simmer of the local rebels knocking over the occasional checkpoint but I don't think the little 3D dudes should start shooting at each other in full battles on the map until it's a full civil war level conflict.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I thiiiiiiiink that each "level" of institution or whatever unlocks a slot that you can then fill with a card chosen out of a big pool of options, higher level institutions can run more policies/cards/whatever the term is at the same time. So yeah if that one active social security policy in Great Britain is "Workhouses" (chosen out of a pool that also included "State Charity" and "Religious Institutions" and "Debtor's Colonies" or some poo poo) it would make sense that the Industrialists are happy about the specific form it's taking (government-sponsored pools of dirt cheap labor) but wouldn't be happy about other potential policies.

I imagine this is mostly what the dev diary is going to answer of course, I don't have any special insight I'm guessing based off a Twitter picture.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

As who though

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Marxism Simulator 2022 really isn't the worst way to do a 19th century game

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It should be impossible to use slave labor in any production methods much more advanced than handicrafts and manual agricultural labor. Which, yeah, pretty naturally should lead to slave societies stagnating and being unable to industrialize, with all the money from raw materials export getting spent on big mansions and fancy parties for the aristocrats rather than capitalists using wage labor who spend their profits on more capital and start the accumulation feedback loop. Slave societies can't accumulate industrial capital, you need a certain amount of transportation infrastructure to get your cotton to the nearest port but that's about it, the rest goes into paying your goons with guns and fancy parties for yourself. Schools and railroads and factories would be either a waste or actively counterproductive for slave-owning aristos to spend their money on.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Paradox doesn't make CYOA's they make strategy games, there's other companies that actually make visual novels and CYOA's and do it better than Paradox. Paradox's attempts to write focus trees in vanilla HoI are garbage (no offense to the devs/content writers but there's clearly a lot of asspulling and googling "[country] communist/fascist/liberal leader 1936" then deciding that the first Wikipedia article to pop up is now leading a magic coup because we need a path for every ideology in every country no matter how nonsensical). Which is fine! The point of the game is to be a relatively accessible WW2 wargame that's got a broader appeal than Gary Grigsby, I'm not expecting a richly detailed 1930's political CYOA, you run the first few years at max speed and then mash the little mans into each other until the map is all your color. But Paradox's strong suit is very clearly not crafting a fine historical narrative, it's making numbers puzzles. I personally at least would hate them trying to do a bunch of scripted on-rails focus trees for the Victorian era, the whole point of the Victoria franchise is you let the simulation go and then 40 years later out of nowhere it crashes the world economy for some insane reason to do with German Canada.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 1, 2021

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think the polity of "the East India Company" is how they're representing the colonial state running British India, not modeling it as an international corporation

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The canals will presumably be in the game so whatever mechanics are used to build those probably could be adapted to other major engineering projects? I don't think we'll see much in the release version though, if you made me guess I'd say that it would probably be a mid-lifecycle DLC to bulk out the number of engineering feats beyond just the Panama/Suez.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

From my understanding, it sounds like an experienced tester cheesing maximum reforms with a broken government form in a beta build that has only very minimally working AI still resulted in running on the ragged edge of stability and caused an actual openly-shooting-at-each-other civil war/uprising. Going slower and appeasing the landowners so you don't blow your country up already sounds like a good idea in the super unbalanced early dev build, I'm not particularly worried that the final product will make it too easy.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I think the point is to be playing a game of chicken where you threaten war to twist the other guy's arm, and if it's some tiny colonial target you can get away with sending in the Marines to secure the banana plantations just fine if it comes to that. But if it's 1912 and the French want those bananas too suddenly you're stuck seeing who's gonna blink first and if anybody gets a little too over-confident (or find themselves unable to afford backing down) then whoops we just got 5 million dudes killed over some silly dick measuring nonsense, which is approximately what I'd expect out of a well designed system for this time period.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Just swap auth right with lib left and it works

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

VostokProgram posted:

No??? In what universe is the acw-era US libleft

In the universe where it's 1865, most modern leftist thinking doesn't even exist yet, and shooting slavers then redistributing their land to the toilers is a progressive historical force? The Reconstruction era legitimately saw some of the most "leftist" experiments in politics and economics on the planet up to that point, as kneecapped as they were by Johnson and the Klan. But, like, there's a reason that a lot of the socialists of the time up to and including Marx were open vocal supporters of Lincoln and the Union. It's certainly a far more fitting hat than the pointy end of British imperialism who's about to watch his friends get blown up and become a fascist about it.

Also it's a loving meme

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do think Haiti is a cool idea for a start but they are super small and don’t have a ton of resources so I’m not sure what you can do

Get into somebody else's giant market, carve out a niche by abusing player insight into the mechanics and cheese your way into being one of the world's premier exporters of some grossly high-profit product, use the money from that to git gud. Also probably tell the French to get hosed somewhere along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lady Radia posted:

is that cheese? that sounds WAD(and awesome)

Cheese in that the AI probably wouldn't find their way into focusing down the techs needed to crank out a bunch of luxury hats in 1845 or whatever, but yeah I think it's how the mechanics are supposed to work for a human at least.