Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hello this is a thread for the NBA. It is my favorite sport to watch. If you want to know more about the NBA just ask I can explain a lot of it.

Now is a good time to watch the NBA as the playoffs have started.

I have some ideas about the NBA that get me in trouble in other threads. I will post them here. That is fair warning I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i own four Top Shots ama

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am working the following posts: Final MVP tier ranking, and a post about why Steph Curry (8th seed) is a fraud.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
hand orb

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

euphronius posted:

I am working the following posts: Final MVP tier ranking, and a post about why Steph Curry (8th seed) is a fraud.

if giannis isn't your MVP I'm banning you

also paging that one goon with the giannis mean mugging av

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Vlade Divoc-19

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

i think the games are too long and it is harmful because this lowers the chances for underdogs to win. i don't like it when they foul each other on purpose because it is the most strategic thing to do. otherwise i think it is a very good sport.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Clippers are gonna make everyone mad this year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

if giannis isn't your MVP I'm banning you

also paging that one goon with the giannis mean mugging av

This is a thread for open iquiry and protection from mod abuse (not saying you are abusivie I mean in general like as an aspirational goal) from ideological moderation of posts that do not follow ESPN orthodoxyu. I am not saying I dont have Giannis up there but I think a post like this needlessly puts a chilling effect on expression.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

here is my MVP tier from February of this year. This is not my final tier. I am showing it too ytou so that you can see the evolution

MVP rankings as of right now. After thinking about it these are the only 6 who deserve any recognition for the prestigious award. So Jokic is tied for 7th I guess with every other player in the league with 0 consideration.

Tier 1:

Lebron James
Pluses: GOAT, still best player in the league, on a good team (3 seed but 3rd best record in the NBA), 36 dunks at age 36, has lead team to an impressive #1 drtg despite being on somewhat cruise control coming off a NBA championship. Also Coach of the Year. The coaching job Lebron has done I have not seen mentioned much, but what he has done to get the Lakers playing together after a short off-season and with lots of changed faces has been remarkable. He could be in the HOF just as a head coach. He also plays tons of minutes.

Negatives: none. He's perfect.

Tier 2:

Gobert
Pluses:
DPOY, leads the best team in the league so far. Extreme offensive efficiency. Plays all the time.
Negatives: not as dynamic offensively as you would really want for a true MVP. A history of playoff flame-outs.

Kawhi
Pluses: second best forward in the whole NBA. Tremendously gifted at defense and also highly efficient and dynamic at offense. Leading his team to 3rd best record in the league. All the traditional stats are right there with the best.
Negatives: last seasons playoff flame-out leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Not as good a coach as Lebron.

Embiid:
Pluses: Up there among the best defensive player in the league. Has drastically improved his offensive game and has become a true monster on O with stats rivaling the other candidates. Has lead Philly to the best record in the East.
Negatives: does not play as much as everyone else. Complicated play off history.

Tier 3

Lillard
Pluses:
unquestionable team leader and superstar leading a good team. Somehow wins with Carmelo Anthony playing. Has kept his team winning despite missing tons of time from CJ and Nurkic. Excellent traditional efficiency stats.
Negatives: Unaware of any defense being played at all. Even for a PG its abysmal.

Durant:
Pluses: has lead Brooklyn to the 2nd best record in the East. I dont know for sure but I think he is also Coaching the Nets.
Negatives: Missed a lot of time. Efficiency stats not quite up there with the rest. Horrible defense.

euphronius hosed around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 19, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

reminder :

My basic MVP criteria:

You have to be on a good team (top 4 seed at least, more like 1-2)
You have to be a two way player*

There are other considerations but those two are necessary

* somewhat relaxed for PGs

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lets go suns baby love the suns

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

euphronius posted:

This is a thread for open iquiry and protection from mod abuse (not saying you are abusivie I mean in general like as an aspirational goal) from ideological moderation of posts that do not follow ESPN orthodoxyu. I am not saying I dont have Giannis up there but I think a post like this needlessly puts a chilling effect on expression.

lol you sound like you have some grudge I don't know about :thunkher:

anyway carry on with your greek worship tia!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

lol fuckin lebron, gross

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
masai ujiri is the greatest toronto raptor of all time

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

lol you sound like you have some grudge I don't know about :thunkher:

anyway carry on with your greek worship tia!

thanks, persion. No grduge I just want to post about the NBA in peace is that so wrong?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Let's go Heat baby

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is my MVP tier from March. I plan on doing the final tiers tonight.

Updated MVP Tiers. Last post was 2/19 so about a month ago.

Tier 1:

No one.

Tier 2:

Lebron:

Previously: Tier 1

Pluses: he is still the best player and coach of the three seed in the West. (Some people say it’s the best conference by far.) Even though he is injured at the moment, he is still coaching the team which decreases the impact of him missing time. Extremely strong Narrative game purchased by Clutch.

Negatives: He lost to the suns by 40 points. The line on that game was like 20 points and the Suns covered. A few more losses like this and you have to wonder about how good a coach Lebron is.

Embiid

Previously: Tier 2

Pluses: Playing the best basketball of his life on the #1 seed in the East. He’s truly a two way monster with efficient, play creating offense and versatile defense. Also riding high on the Narrative game. Injury to Lebron helps his case.

Negatives: Injuries/missed time.

Gobert:

Previously: Tier 2

Pluses: Best player on the best team in the West. (Some people say it’s the best conference by far.) One of the best regular season defensive players of all time.

Negatives: Absolutely zero narrative. The Mormons must hate him. At least he made the all star team and didn’t have to cry on Twitter again. He is not an offensive creator with the ball though he is underrated I think and his screen setting is underappreciated.

CP3

Previously: NEW RANKING

Pluses: best player on the #2 seed in the West. . (Some people say it’s the best conference by far.) He gets major points as he, like Lebron, also performs double-duty as Head Coach. He has the Suns playing amazing defense. He plays a lot of games.

Negatives: Numbers are solid but don’t pop out at you. 20 PER and .189 ws/48 are just ok, but, as the point guard, team wins are also a stat. he has no narrative at the moment due to the Klutch cabal I suppose. It will likely come late.

Tier 3

Giannis

Pluses: Another amazing regular season on both sides of the ball While Leading his team to the 3 seed in the east. He plays all the time.

Negatives: The narrative is solidly against him and its almost impossible for him to win again at this point.

Harden:

Pluses: One of the most gifted offensive regular season players ever. He has lead the Nets to the 2 seed in the east with Durant taking some time off to pursue his social media career. He has to deal with Kyrie and is succeeding. He plays ZERO defense, but as a point guard that is somewhat ok.

Negatives: Like Giannis, the Narrative is strong against him. Voters are extremely pro-owner in their POVs and will punish Harden for not showing proper decorum to the capital class.

Honorable Mentions

Kawhi (previously Tier 2) The Clippers have slipped down to 4 and he’s really boring. I mean hes great but come on. The Mike Trout of the NBA.

Durant (Previously Tier 3) Decided to not play basketball anymore I guess.

Dame (Previously Tier 3) Portland has slipped out of the top seeds. CP3 stole his mojo.

Jokic

euphronius hosed around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 22, 2021

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

is the play-in tourney a gimmick or what?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dew worm posted:

Its sticking around for sure. The lague will try to get Lebron to play in it every year tho

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
how is cp3 a mvp contender this year and kyle lowry wasn't last year

Zisky
May 6, 2003

dew worm posted:

Gonna enjoy watching yet another demise of the warriors in real time tonight

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Personally I believe the Miami Heat are very cool and have very good jerseys

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
dame and the blazers deserve a chip but there's no way in hell they get to the conference finals let alone past it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dreylad posted:

the voters are ideologically blind or corrupt

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
He flew right into that mountain. Like he couldn't avoid it. Never seen that before. Helicopter fly into a mountain.
                                         /

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
all i know for sure is that the spurs are all nice and cool people who like to help out the community and all other basketball teams are probably flashy showboating ne'er-do-wells

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Dreylad posted:

poor shooting

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Flavius Aetass posted:

all i know for sure is that the spurs are all nice and cool people who like to help out the community and all other basketball teams are probably flashy showboating ne'er-do-wells

yeah they seem nice

Pop is a big liberal but he seems harmless

did you know he was CIA?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

euphronius posted:

the voters are ideologically blind or corrupt

:hai:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i am going to try and decribe true nba value

I may be alone talking to walls but I am going to do it

the Fantasy stats and Bay Area orthodoxy is wrong

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the lob city theory of value

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Flavius Aetass posted:

The Clippers/Balmer renovated hundreds of community basketball courts in LA, it's pretty cool.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my starting point - ans this is revolutionary and lead to my ideological oppression - is that a players value should be based on team success in the real world (the nba league )

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lebron, more like leshit

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i think most small market teams do a lot for their communities

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

euphronius posted:

yeah they seem nice

Pop is a big liberal but he seems harmless

did you know he was CIA?

whoa no. i feel like by sports standards being a big lib is p good

Zisky posted:

The Clippers/Balmer renovated hundreds of community basketball courts in LA, it's pretty cool.

:nice:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lebron, more like leshit

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

euphronius posted:

Harden:

Pluses: One of the most gifted offensive regular season players ever. He has lead the Nets to the 2 seed in the east with Durant taking some time off to pursue his social media career. He has to deal with Kyrie and is succeeding. He plays ZERO defense, but as a point guard that is somewhat ok.

Negatives: Like Giannis, the Narrative is strong against him. Voters are extremely pro-owner in their POVs and will punish Harden for not showing proper decorum to the capital class.

Harden deserves a F for leaving the rockets. He's also a thin blue line punisher type of guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i almost believe in the bucks this year. almost.