Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
as much as I enjoy watching the celtics lose and squander an incredibly talented roster it would be funny if they beat the nets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think that is possible

the nets are too good

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Can the Heat upset the Bucks AGAIN?! Let's see

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I dont understand anything about this project but I respect the proudly revolutionary nature of its ideological founding, and its willingness to call out the haters and losers in the orthodoxy marks it as a real throwback to the hits of yesteryear such as Marx, Lenin, and Mao

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i skipped the bubble season and offseason op, who's in golden state still

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
pro hoops kicks rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT6bV7rSdC0

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got the tude now posted:

i skipped the bubble season and offseason op, who's in golden state still

mvp candidate and multiple unanimous MVP! Steph Curry who is an average player and can’t lead a team to the playoffs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I dont understand anything about this project but I respect the proudly revolutionary nature of its ideological founding, and its willingness to call out the haters and losers in the orthodoxy marks it as a real throwback to the hits of yesteryear such as Marx, Lenin, and Mao

thank you

we need to think about how we are thinking g

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think where the old regime of espn stat heads (war , win share , per etc) go wrong fundamentally is they fail to consider what has happened and instead create a world of what should have happened based upon their idea of moral basketball played by algorithms

this leads to absurdities such as them considering Stephen Curry to not only be very valuable but the most valuable ! this result is an obscenity which would make any honest person blush and reconsider their grounding but the ancient stat heads from Bristol merely double down on their falsity and construct new false houses on their corrupted sands

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Thank God Middleton ended that cripple fight, the last quarter and OT have been a slog.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is space jam realistic

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the nets are going to win. hope this helps

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Thank God Middleton ended that cripple fight, the last quarter and OT have been a slog.

yeah, very low energy :chaostrump:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Middleton slightly disproving his playoff fraudulence.

Jrue Holiday has been a difference maker for the Bucks though, a great upgrade from Bledsoe.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 22, 2021

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i see playoff P has once again emerged

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Stairmaster posted:

Is space jam realistic

monstars would win in reality

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

haha the warriors got owned

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Nets need to be banned for buying a natty.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

haha the warriors got owned

That was very funny and I laughed hard

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Curry is not the only fraud .

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think they should make the basket higher since the objective of the game is to throw the ball in a really high basket but now the dudes are so huge then can just put the ball inside the basket as simply as i return my keys to the bowl

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

another great champion of the fantasy stats people lost at home in the playoffs last night . he is certainly more valuable than Curry so he may lead his team to some playoff success . but the way this guy is raised up as the best player in the nba is another symptom of the deep ideological corruption in the class of people who talk and vote on these important issues

most valuable player is an important award. it should go to the player who was the most valuable in the regular season . what is valuable in basketball ? winning games. that’s it. if you didn’t win games you are not as valuable as a player who did .

but not all players are the same same obviously and there are 5 on the court for any one team at any moment with the starters getting most of the minutes. so the time played and the style played are also important in determining value when combined with how many games that player won (never forget winning actual games is value)

I’ve not defined style of play very well. from watching lots of basketball I have found that the following styles exist and can be summarized like so for the purposes of determining value. this list goes from most valuable to least

1. starters who are two way players. that means they are great on offense and defense. there are graduations even within this but we will skip that for now. these are the stars of the league and for the most part are easily known. they are usually considered the best players on the best teams .

2. players who are great on defense but only ok on offense .

3. players who are great on offense but only ok on defense
————-
there is a break here with the top 3 styles generally being valuable and no one else being nearly as valuable as the above
—————

4. the rest of players. the players who make up this category makes up most of the league obviously

euphronius fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 23, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is a teachable moment about how deep the corruption is. Basketball-reference is in some ways a good site in that there are lots of stats available on it. But they also fall into the pitfalls of the stats simulacrum

Here is a picture from basketball-reference . coms main page :

You will see a stat called “gmsc” this means “game score” let’s focus on jokic . It says that he had a great night - top three of off players who played - and that his game score was 25.6. This is false. The game score was actually 123-109 and his team lost. He did not have a great night and was actually bad. His opponent in the real world game had an offensive rating of 134.* as jokic is the most important defensive player on his team (the center) this is his fault . He lost the game basically. This is not valuable. if you look at the list above good on offense and bad on defense is not valuable (or not as valuable than the other styles)

Now a stats person will say no he was valuable look at the game score ! But now you know they don’t care about the real game score. They live in a house of distorted mirrors

* offensive rating is just points scored normalized to a static number of possessions per game as that number of possessions can fluctuate.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 23, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he was lucky in the sense that he has played with actual real valuable players and has shared in their glory yes

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

he was lucky in the sense that he has played with actual real valuable players and has shared in their glory yes

lol who the gently caress uses "game score" stats? look at curry's on/off numbers over his career. klay was a shooter of average efficiency with curry benched whereas the reverse isn't true

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Madden loving sucks now because it's just a fantasy league simulator they don't even do anything for the franchise mode it's actively gotten worse because they just take poo poo out and dumb it down.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

lol who the gently caress uses "game score" stats? look at curry's on/off numbers over his career. klay was a shooter of average efficiency with curry benched whereas the reverse isn't true

I don’t know what you are trying to argue
can you be more clear

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you are trying to say Steph is more valuable than klay, there isn’t any evidence for that

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hifi posted:

lets go suns baby love the suns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp-f7ece-UU

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Jokic is the MVP and Lebron is the GOAT

Joel Embiid is an MVP in the future INBA (international national basketball assoc) where he is finally able to play his ideal 60 game season while taking long flights at high speed to prevent gravity from eating his bones and also to give him 3 days of jetlag recovery to clear the bad humors in his gut

Zeroisanumber posted:

As a Timberwolves fan it's great to be in the 15th year of our 5 year rebuilding plan.

I'm so excited for Jarret Culver and Josh Okogie to have... 10% swings in their 3P% so they are acceptable 3+D wings. Also to get good at D.

Oh well at least we have our first this year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what is your reasoning for jokic being mvp . there are lots of guys more valuable than him ?

agree Embiid missing time knocks him down a bit but he’s clearly more
valuable than jokic

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

Madden loving sucks now because it's just a fantasy league simulator they don't even do anything for the franchise mode it's actively gotten worse because they just take poo poo out and dumb it down.

nba 2k has become a nightmare of microtransactions and influencer...influenced content. just constant money extraction cloaked with the trappings of the basketball game that everyone hates but is beyond successful for investors

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

what is your reasoning for jokic being mvp . there are lots of guys more valuable than him ?

agree Embiid missing time knocks him down a bit but he’s clearly more
valuable than jokic

Personally as a Blazers guy I want Jokic as MVP as long as blazers win the series because that’ll just make the Denver salt all that much saltier

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Personally as a Blazers guy I want Jokic as MVP as long as blazers win the series because that’ll just make the Denver salt all that much saltier

that would be amazing

two of the top 3 “mvps” not making the playoffs and getting booted in the first round

no lessons would be learned

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So 6ers eliminated in 6?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers have some big holes yes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I want jimmy buckets to methodically demolish the entire east