Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lets go suns baby love the suns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Dreylad posted:

how is cp3 a mvp contender this year and kyle lowry wasn't last year

poor shooting

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if you go by the look it's d. book no contest

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think about this a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAD5RFXsPiA dont think they're goons (?) but good job

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

shooting by itself is overrated especially now in the league when lots of teams shoot well

I understand that old grand parents who watch a lot of espn and have fantasy teams would be easily impressed by Steph’s box score numbers. when you grow up watching people play in the 90s and 00s it must look impressive to see such box score numbers

but shooting efficiency numbers by themself are an abstraction . you have to look at the whole player and how their team performs . us younger thinkers know to not take stats in I solation but look at what actually happened . along with shooting percentage we also bravely look at who won the game . we are not afraid to consider this the real world

for example last night the Washington wizards shot excellently . they were 56%/40%/80% . the old Steph fans would think wow that is great shooting they are a finals team full of mvps and ball of famers !!!! no. the wizards lost. there is more to basketball than shooting

what are shooting stats an abstract for if your argument is that shooting stats aren't an entire picture of the game

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this is bad in the abstract sense though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

indigi posted:

yes his shoulder is completely hosed, he should just get the operation now as even if he sat for a week and they somehow won the series he'd be in the same exact position. it's one of those injuries where unless you get it surgically repaired it's waaaaaaaaaay more likely to reoccur, and even with the operation it's iffy

it's a stinger, there's nothing you can do about it. carson palmer had it in like 2014 and it took 3 weeks for the nerve to come back to life

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

quote:

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer is trying anything and everything to awaken the sleeping nerve in his right throwing shoulder.

Palmer has already tried electrical stimulation therapy, ice, massage, acupuncture, dry needling and art machines as healing aids. The most extreme measure, he said, was electrical shock therapy that made Palmer jump with every volt.

None of it has worked, but Palmer and coach Bruce Arians said they see progress every day.

to give you an idea of the tools that a billion dollar team has at its disposal for dealing with this kind of injury

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Nonsense posted:

GDT is in love with Lebrick too much, it's real in here.

he shot like 50% from 3 yesterday

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

how many net 3pa is this play worth

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

He was not effective at all in the 4-0 wipeout by the suns so maybe you need to refine your beliefs about what effective center defense is.

he was alright versus ayton but he's not going to cover up for campazzo and austin rivers doing their best pat bev/dennis schroder impressions on defense

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

embiid probably just gets the meniscus trim right? he's going to be getting microfracture surgery before he's 30

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

"all defense" lol. your defensive metrics are you gave up 70 points to the hawks in the second half

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Lmfao

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

Anton hasn’t played a center yet. I’d like to see what he can do against one. but both centers left are in the East

Not anymore bitch

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I cant believe doc got coty votes

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

I am used to the sixers losing

once I saw the the refs were Truly in it for Atlanta it became ok with me

Those refs lol

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgl5pHu0dbQ

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

Luka needs two way wings and a stretch 5 more than a coach

they already have kleber and zing and they suck lol. they should start with a decent center and go from there

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Patrick Beverley is so good though

he scored 2 points (assuming this is in the negatives for very useful statistical value "net points")

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

lebron completely milked Toronto . I remember that one game he was calling and making bank shots from three up like 40 in Toronto

it was funny watching them try doing that to phoenix and then they lost 3 straight

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

lowrys cap hold is enourmous lol. it’s 40 million !!!!!

the could first sign him to like a 15 million deal

yeah thats how cap holds work

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

maybe toronto could simply just play in los angeles

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the suns baby :mrgw:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

Okay but "the stats we needed for years" had Cousins top 20 in steals/blocks, top 5 in ppg, top 10 in rebounds per game, and first for assists among centers IN THE SAME YEAR multiple times. It's only when you look at newfound newfangled shooting efficiency, usage rating (he hogged the ball too often), and plus minus stats that it becomes obvious that Cousins was at best a top 20 player during his best years, and inferior to players with less crazy stats like Marc Gasol

he was good but the peak of his career corresponds with porzingis and unicorns and "modern centers" that would that would take like 6 3s a game at 35%. if he wasn't hurt he'd be like... brook lopez now maybe.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

not really

good players can turn franchise around

look at what Klay and Durant did for the warriors who were the kings before the kings

durant didnt do anything for the franchise

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

If the Suns beat the Bucks and Giannis is out for a game or two, or not even close to 100%, I feel like they will be an all time asterisk champion

giannis shouldn't come back. he's gonna be doped up on a shaky leg

the asterisk pushers are reactionaries that dont understand basketball materialism eg reggie jackson getting hot nor watch basketball games either, viz cant pick alex caruso out of a crowd of people with hair.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

giannis was embarrassed a few individual plays offensively against blake so it will be interesting to see a less healthy version of giannis go up against crowder or any of the other forwards the suns can throw at him.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

loose hierarchy of value in the nba
1. two way wings and guards. CP, KL, Lebron
2. two way centers . Giannis, Embiid, AD
3. defensive centers who aren’t totally inept on offense. gobert
4. defensive wings/guards who aren’t totally inept on offense. Draymond, Iguodala (younger)
5. offense only guards and wings. Dame, jokic, Luka (the refs go nuts for these guys FOR SOME REASON so their value can shoot up depending on the refs )
6. offense only center. Vucevic, Holmes, cousins
7. no offense no defense guards. Steph

the suns have like 8 elite players then. makes sense ngl tbh

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

lol at PER being the "best" advanced stat https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/per_top_10.html

Hassan Whiteside was a top ten player in the league twice!

i think per is interesting because i can use my brain

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

basketball probably has it easier for stats for defenders than baseball because there's specific events like blocks and steals that dont exist in baseball.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

I have to respond since you are putting words in my mouth
- Steph is a good player. hes an excellent shooter. he’s not as valuable as anyone in the top tiers of the nba though . the proof of this is his team and his teams offense did not do well when he was forced to be the guy. he also plays no defense which is .. not valuable
- jokic wasn’t a bad pick. it certainly isn’t the worst pick for mvp in the history of the world. he’s one of the best offensive players in the world. that is valuable. if they played him at point guard on defense and got a real center both he and the team would be better off

the suns exploited jokic at point guard on defense via the pick and roll

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

If they had a real center it would have been survivable.

the suns would just isolate the point guard and attack him then.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

That would work if the Suns had a stretch 5 but they play Anton all the time so the Real Center would be back on D . The D Center is the most important on a 1-5 PNR. They can almost single handedly shut it down or turn it into worse shots.

Jokic plus a center would be a FInals team for sure. I hope Denver realizes it before too late.

why do they need a stretch 5 to run an isolation play to attack jokic

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

well if you are talking about settling for step back jumpers whatever. it’s no different from any other terrible PG at D like Steph or Dame etc

my specific example is cp3 cooking absolutely everybody over 6'7 for a elbow jumpshot

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

if I said something like “if Danny green were healthy the sixers would have been in the finals !” you’d all laugh at me but then you roll out this Jamal Murray alternative time line of jokic redemption

i'm still laughing at you. lol.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

suns baby

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont know why russ has a reputation of being a locker room cancer (well, i do but it would be nice for people to admit it to me) when his teammates have been j. harden k. durant and p. george, all of which were more interested at the time in real estate on the coasts than playing ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Nonsense posted:

American basketball is in the wilderness. NFL it is.

summer league starts before the nfl preseason games